Sign in to follow this  
Apex

E65 745i

Hey guys.

A friend of mine is interested in buying a 2002 E65 745i and I said I’d ask.

Anything I should know about this model? I have read that they had a few software problems when released but am struggling to find to many major faults to look for.

We have looked at a few Singapore imports that seem very nice and have all the Kiwi spec bells and whistles including sat nav. Is there any reason why people avoid Singapore imports?

Anyone had first hand experience with these cars?

Thanks.

Posted Image

Trade-Me

They are a fantastic underrated car, which are excellent value at the moment.

My preference would be with NZ new. Having a good hunt through TM shows them not to be much more expensive than a Sing equivalent.

Also, with NZ new you will get some sort of assurance all the servicing has been done and all software upgrades were completed.

No matter what you look at buying, make sure it gets taken to a authorised BMW dealer (not a backyard one, but a franchise) for a full check.

Some sound advice, I can imagine if something goes wrong with it It could be costly.

I drove one yesterday and It went like sh*t of a stick, they quote 0-100 in 6 seconds which isn’t bad considering these things weigh as much as a land cruiser and deliver 11.4 average consumption.

Will hunt out a NZ new one and compare.

Some sound advice, I can imagine if something goes wrong with it It could be costly.

I drove one yesterday and It went like sh*t of a stick, they quote 0-100 in 6 seconds which isn’t bad considering these things weigh as much as a land cruiser and deliver 11.4 average consumption.

Will hunt out a NZ new one and compare.

Yeah they are fantastic. Very comfortable and very fast.

From what I know, the gearboxes and engines are fine, its just the electrics to watch out for. Make sure you test everything. Even the smallest electrical glitches can be expensive.

As I've said, stick with NZ new. I would also advise hanging out for the right colour combo - black interior is a must and a dark exterior is desirable. Also, stay away from IL's - they are simply too big and won't fit in the average garage, thus are less desirable on the used market.

Make sure you find one that isn't wearing that set of clothes, honestly, look at the front.

Eyebrow indicators, exaggerated lower headlight curves, front 'bib' air dam corners fall away, the list goes on.

Amateur design trying to prove something.

My distaste for Bangle is well documented with BMW now.

Make sure you find one that isn't wearing that set of clothes, honestly, look at the front.

Eyebrow indicators, exaggerated lower headlight curves, front 'bib' air dam corners fall away, the list goes on.

Amateur design trying to prove something.

My distaste for Bangle is well documented with BMW now.

Well not to everyones taste I guess...

However, there is nothing else apart from a Maserati Quattroporte that offers such a good combination of luxury and driver excitement. S-Classes and A8's literally wallow in comparison.

Meh, its not for me so I don’t really care. I actually don’t mind the look of it though, the bubble but and other cues are common place now amongst other manufacturers now.

There are quite a few NZ New ones in the market now with quite unbelievable prices, that is if you avoid BMW dealers.

I'd go with an E38 purely due to looks. They are also cheaper and there are more NZ new ones out there. They also won't depreciate much more

Meh, its not for me so I don’t really care. I actually don’t mind the look of it though, the bubble but and other cues are common place now amongst other manufacturers now.

I have AC Shnitzer kits in stock for this shape 7.

I have AC Shnitzer kits in stock for this shape 7.

No no no! IMHO they kill the E65

Ive driven a lot of E65's including one of the new diesel ones and they are just so nice to drive, maintenence wise im not too sure on but I do know they have a few electrical issues which as already said are expensive to put right so getting a Singapore import sure wouldnt be on my list.

I'd deffinatly go for a NZ new as first preference or a Japanese import. They look a bit bland in silver mind you but thats just me.

Its funny how so many people hate the E65 7's yet there were more of them sold than any other 7 before that so I'd say the design isnt bad at all. The look deffinatly grows on you. Even more so once you see how well they perform.

I disagree

It is quite rice, but I can see how some people would get into it. The 7 is / was never meant to be a performance car, hence no M version exists, making it look a bit odd all kitted out.

I don't think it's rice at all. If anything it adds to the 7 series and makes it look better than stock. Saw one the other day with the ACS kit, not like the one above though, I suppose it was an older version. Had something like 22" BBS wheels with lip.

this looks nice.

http://www.autotrader.co.nz/UsedItemDetail...id=11A033199490

shame its a 3.0, always the way.

Just had a look at the Japan auctions. There is a silver 745i e65 2005 RHD Fully Loaded going for auction tomorrow with only 36kms on the clock.

They are estimating a sell price of 2.7m Yen which is $NZ43,000 on the road driving here.

I know where and what I would buy :rolleyes: . Import your own and save $$$$$$$$

Just had a look at the Japan auctions. There is a silver 745i e65 2005 RHD Fully Loaded going for auction tomorrow with only 36kms on the clock.

They are estimating a sell price of 2.7m Yen which is $NZ43,000 on the road driving here.

I know where and what I would buy :rolleyes: . Import your own and save $$$$

If you get ex-Japan and want fullly functional navigation, TV, telephone and radio expect to spend anopther $10k to get it working, IF it is possible 8dunnon if anyone has achieved the conversion yet: a lot of theory, very little practice)

Due to the huge difference in electronics between Japan and non-Japan models, I'd go for a non-Japan model by a country mile so that everything audio etc works.

The whole audio and iDrive system is really cool when it all works. Which it does for a NZ or Singapore car. And doesn't work if it is ex Japan.

My 2 cents worth.

If you get ex-Japan and want fullly functional navigation, TV, telephone and radio expect to spend anopther $10k to get it working, IF it is possible 8dunnon if anyone has achieved the conversion yet: a lot of theory, very little practice)

Due to the huge difference in electronics between Japan and non-Japan models, I'd go for a non-Japan model by a country mile so that everything audio etc works.

The whole audio and iDrive system is really cool when it all works. Which it does for a NZ or Singapore car. And doesn't work if it is ex Japan.

My 2 cents worth.

I totaly agree with you, many car dealers have been caught out with these. I know of 2 Jap imports that have cost more that $10,000 to get systems to function. BMW dealers now get owners to sign disclaimants when getting hardware and software upgrades, for both NZ new and imports. Personally I wouldnt own one. They are loverly to drive...but very expensive to maintain. Modules & software can really only be replaced by dealers now to get warranty on the modules or software. Its all done online with each module being coded and registered with a BMW

signature.

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks Jochen, hence why I was telling him to get NZ new or Singaporean as a Singapore import would simply need a NZ Sat-Nav DVD to work.

Why do people avoid Singapore imports? What makes them so bad, I have been told it has something to do with humidity reeking havoc on the electronics but at 10-15k cheaper with half the KM’s and better specs its mighty tempting.

I totaly agree with you, many car dealers have been caught out with these. I know of 2 Jap imports that have cost more that $10,000 to get systems to function. BMW dealers now get owners to sign disclaimants when getting hardware and software upgrades, for both NZ new and imports. Personally I wouldnt own one. They are loverly to drive...but very expensive to maintain. Modules & software can really only be replaced by dealers now to get warranty on the modules or software. Its all done online with each module being coded and registered with a BMW

signature.

My thoughts exactly.. So these cars have quite a few software problems?

PS: the Jap imports only have a small space for the number plate and just look wrong.

No no no! IMHO they kill the E65

sorry for the quality of the photos but you cannot say that this looks worse than a stock 7

post-1835-1211232650_thumb.jpg

post-1835-1211232663_thumb.jpg

post-1835-1211232675_thumb.jpg

post-1835-1211232690_thumb.jpg

Jochen, could you list the countries that will work in NZ, and the models of BMWs? Any particular year onward? Would serve as a nice buying guide.

PS: the Jap imports only have a small space for the number plate and just look wrong.

I was just thinking... the 3 series cars always seem to have the euro size area, even the ones from Japan. It's only the 5s and 7s that are affected by this. Has anyone else noticed?

Jochen, could you list the countries that will work in NZ, and the models of BMWs? Any particular year onward? Would serve as a nice buying guide.

All models supplied with iDrive. Even on models that could have iDrive but weren't delivered with iDrive still have some issues i.e. E90, E87.

These are overall electronics issues, not just in relation to sat-nav and radio.

Edited by 318Touring