Sign in to follow this  
Heresharry

19" Tyres what size??

Hi, im looking for a set of 19" mags preferably ones like These

But what size tyres will be correct for a E46 coupe?? 35's? 40's? 225? 235?

I dont want any rubbing etc and i am running at standard suspension hieght

Cheers

Sexy....

I test drove a 330ci with 19's with 35 profile tyres on it before buying mine. The wheels were the only change, and they had rubbed on the guards at some stage (not sure if they were the correct offset or not). The biggest thing I noticed was that it rode like a skateboard - really hard on the road (too much so for me).

Maybe test some 19's on the car if you can? Someone like zenetti could probably tell you what you need size wise.

the correct size tyre is related directly to the std tyre size for the vehicle.Any decent tyre place will be able to tell you what size,be it plus one or plus two.The overall dia of the tyre should not change so as you go up in wheel size the profile drops.Your owners manual will also have alternative tyre and wheel sizes.

Depends what your after..

To fill the guards properly you need:

Staggered setup

19x8.5 +35 - 37(offset) front 235/35/r19

19x9.5 +40 - 42(offset) rear 265/30/r19

the higher the offset the further away the rim will be to the inside of the guard.

The best alround tire I find with mild shampher are fk-452 Falkens. loads of grip and no nasty suprises other tires give you

I personally run a tighter 39 offset but its because I have pumped guards. This doesnt scrape but its tight even on my setup :D

Jump on http://www.e46fanatics.com into the showroomon the forum to drool at some other great setups. Its what I did I my first set of wheels.

Either a 225 or 235 at the front will be fine. It all depends on the manufacturer and how they masure their sectional width and how they construct the shoulders in their tyres. For example a Dunlop 225 measures as wide as a Falken or Toyo 235 due to the nature of their construction. I would personally run a 225/255 staggered combination. However saying that Hybrid has 235/265 and it works fine on his car. Guard rub has more to do with getting correct offsets.

Before you go buying those wheels I would enquire as to what the offset actually is, The wider the rear wheel the higher offset you will need to 'tuck' the wheel further in. The offsets Hybrid runs would be the lowest that I would go to, as he has had some guard work done to make them fit. Also Coupes tend to have slightly wider rear guards than the sedans. If you need any more help you are welcome to pop in see me, we have done countless E46's over the past few years.

Cheers

Johno

Staggered setup

19x8.5 +35 - 37(offset) front 235/35/r19

19x9.5 +40 - 42(offset) rear 265/30/r19

this is the exact set up i have on my car i think,

i dont have my guards rolled tho but its fine,

maybe a slightly different offset.

but as some mentioned earlier, 19's will give a really rough ride

not enough cushioning compared to 17's

i wud like to go back on 18's maybe..

I dont think a et45 will work at 9.5inch wide in the rear. The wheel will hit the shock housing im pretty sure. If your ordering new wheels dude. Just get the proper offset and dont compromise.

Isnt it going to look a bit odd at standard height?

So will a set of 19's with an offset of +45 all round work?? Please excuse my ignorance! ^_^

It all depends on the width of the wheel. we have put plenty of 18x9 @ +45 on E46's and have never had any problems.

Edited by zenetti

I dont think a et45 will work at 9.5inch wide in the rear. The wheel will hit the shock housing im pretty sure. If your ordering new wheels dude. Just get the proper offset and dont compromise.

Yeah i think thats the best option.... it might look llike i could save money up front but long term get the ones i want that fit correctly.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Edited by Heresharry

you wont regret it man .. seriously.

beware of the umbrella effect too .. tons of people do that on holdens and BMWs and it looks naff.

Umbrella effect is when you order wheels that have a too greater offset and end up into the gaurds with about an inch or three of gap between the gaurd and the tire. Looks awful.

You can still have the 'pumped' look on 8.5 inch or less wheels you just need less offset to keep it close.

Ideally you will need to roll your gaurds with a roller and also heat up the paint as not to crack it.

GO and TALK to the professionals :rolleyes: .

While some of the opinions on here seem relevant and correct, alot of it stems from personal experience. I find it quite interesting that when people want advice on issues they will listen to just about anybody except the people who actually do it for a living or won't or can't be bothered talking to them. I am sure Glenn comes across this quite a lot as well.

Not picking at you Hybrid but words like 'umbrella effect'?, and actually "recommending getting guards rolled"?

If you get the correct offset and width you will not need guards rolled. BTW all BMW guards are double skinned and have silicone in them to prevent water getting in, pooling and ultimately causing rust issues.

I really could go on for a lot longer but really can't be bothered and am sick of banging my head against a wall at some of the 'advice' I see given out on this forum.

Edited by zenetti