Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

99 'e39 540i transmission 'hunting'

Howdy,

The steptronic transmission in my 540 seems to be hunting between 4th and 5th gears under light load e.g puttering up to 60km/h from the lights, the car will engage 5th gear when reaching ~50km/h and then when pressing the accelerator pedal lightly the car will hunt between 4th and 5th gears. When going up hills and under light load the car will drop to 4th to maintain speed up the hill, but then go back in to 5th, and then realise sh*t i better go back in to 4th to maintain the speed....

When using steptronic and engaging 5th at ~60km/h the car will stay in 5th even when applying light load.

I have been advised it may be a torque convertor problem, but has anyone else here had this kind of issue in their 540 and had it fixed? Can anyone offer any advice on the problem?

Also at what rpm's should the engine in my 540i be when cruising at 100km/h in 5th.

known problem that the torque goes in and out of lock up mode under light throttle .

might be gettin a 99 540i for spares soon.

thanks

known problem that the torque goes in and out of lock up mode under light throttle .

might be gettin a 99 540i for spares soon.

thanks

many thanks for the informative reply...

Hi,

100k`s approx. 2000 rev`s

Have a tourque converter if needed.

Firstly scan and clear fault codes also make sure there are no issues with inst. cluster. (vital link in can bus)

Call me on 0212435526 if more info neede.

Regards Ray

Cheers, will do

so what casues the torque conveter to go in and out of lock up mode, is it a software issue in the transmissions brain, worn out torque converter parts, or a combination of the two??