Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Ipod's - why do they always break???

Today, the second Ipod that I have owned decided to die... Tried the usual full reset and reformat, but is still locked up! It's 13 months old, so no warranty. No rough usage, never been dropped either. Heaps of people I know have had Ipods crap out in a very short time.

Do you guys have the same issues? Are Ipods only supposed to last for a very short time?

The worst thing about it is that I will be walking down to the shops to buy another soon. Unfortunately there are no real alternatives!

Today, the second Ipod that I have owned decided to die... Tried the usual full reset and reformat, but is still locked up! It's 13 months old, so no warranty. No rough usage, never been dropped either. Heaps of people I know have had Ipods crap out in a very short time.

Do you guys have the same issues? Are Ipods only supposed to last for a very short time?

The worst thing about it is that I will be walking down to the shops to buy another soon. Unfortunately there are no real alternatives!

Short life and few real substitutes=more sales

Yea mine crapped out after bout 18 months as did its replacement.

Do you guys have the same issues?

Nope. I got my nano from New York shortly after they were released (before they came to nz).

So its 3 years old. It still goes hard now, except the shitty headphones are long f**ked.

It's been drenched multiple times, including once when I left it on my bag by the pitch in the rain during a 2 hour football practice, dropped countless times, has 3 dents.

I have had to do the hold down menu and select buttons once when it went spazzy.

These days I don't really use it walking around as I need my ears when crossing roads and stuff in wgtn and theres too much noise around for good listening IMO. Mostly connected to my stereo.

Cheers.

my iPod died the other week after 3 years. Im reading and sending this now on my iPod touch which is the dogs bollocks. Amazing what you can do once you jailbreak it !

Have to admire Apple for perfecting the service life vs warranty game....

I have had the same with Yamaha hifi gear (although they replaced it no problems) and a mate of mine went through a phase where every Sony item he bought failed 2 days out of warranty.

I still have my "iPod photo" which I bought 3 years ago.... and it still runs perfectly. Used to use it for the daily walk to work, but now it spends its days in my car's glovebox as my jukebox. The charger on my gf's iPod shuffle just broke the other day though.... and just out of warranty too.... so for me it's 50/50 as far as user satisfaction goes!

Mine is getting close to 3 years old (the first of the ipod videos). It has been great, and never missed a beat. I am pretty careful, and it has never been dropped or mistreated.

Brook's is about 2 years old, and has been the same, never missed a beat.

Cheers

Grant

My ipod photo is 3 years old and still ticking away. It did suffer some sort of complete failure at the 13 month mark (i.e. wouldn't turn on at all). I took it to Ubertec in Parnell Rd, they kept it for a week, did a bunch of diagnostic stuff to it, announced themselves mystified as to the problem, somehow forced it to reformat, charged me $30 as an inspection fee and returned it empty but working. It's behaved nearly flawlessly ever since.

I was very impressed with the timing though. Only one month out of warranty and on the eve of a 7hr+ car drive when it was my only hope of music.

Had 3 IPUDS in about 2 months in the UK. Just kept shitting out for no reason. Then it got stolen. And I just spent the insurance money on something else.

Now I have a Sony W880 Walkman series phone with a 2gb card. Headphones are mean. Phone is mean. Size of a nano but makes calls and even video calls if you want. Never had one problem in 1 1/2 years.

Maybe mine is shagged from use at the gym / running.

Its locked on one song, with the screen light on. None of the buttons are responding. When this happened before, I connected it to my comp and reformatted it, which solved the problem.

Might see if the battery will run out and if I recharge and reboot it may work again.

Think I will just buy a shuffle for gym use now...

I sold lots of iPods in my shop and the fault rate is actually less than 1%. By fault I mean actually need servicing by Apple. Lock up doesn't count as a fault.

If your iPod locks up, you can try reset which for almost all iPod is to hold down Menu + middle-of-clickwheel button for a few seconds until the Apple logo comes up. For iPhone and iPod Touch, it's Menu + Power button until Apple comes up.

If you think your iPod locks up a lot, please check if it is always locking up when you do a particular thing or a particular song/video. Sometimes data gets corrupted during transfer or the HDD written a glitch into the file when loading songs can cause this. Do a full restore through iTunes will usually helps.

Finally, be patient with it. Many people complains the lock up are the ones with HDD based iPod (as oppose of flash-based like Nano). With the large number of song/video, together with HDD spin-up times and what not, the HDD versions sometimes perceived as "hang" but when it is actually trying to catch up. I had a 20GB 3rd-gen, 40GB 4th-gen and a 60GB photo during the past 4-5 years and never had any problem, and I am not a light user at all.

I sold lots of iPods in my shop and the fault rate is actually less than 1%. By fault I mean actually need servicing by Apple. Lock up doesn't count as a fault.

If your iPod locks up, you can try reset which for almost all iPod is to hold down Menu + middle-of-clickwheel button for a few seconds until the Apple logo comes up. For iPhone and iPod Touch, it's Menu + Power button until Apple comes up.

If you think your iPod locks up a lot, please check if it is always locking up when you do a particular thing or a particular song/video. Sometimes data gets corrupted during transfer or the HDD written a glitch into the file when loading songs can cause this. Do a full restore through iTunes will usually helps.

Finally, be patient with it. Many people complains the lock up are the ones with HDD based iPod (as oppose of flash-based like Nano). With the large number of song/video, together with HDD spin-up times and what not, the HDD versions sometimes perceived as "hang" but when it is actually trying to catch up. I had a 20GB 3rd-gen, 40GB 4th-gen and a 60GB photo during the past 4-5 years and never had any problem, and I am not a light user at all.

Very helpful, thank you!

No problems. You are correct on that, for gym/running, stick with flash-based iPod - Nano and Shuffle (and of course, the Touch and iPhone if you really so inclined).

Realistically, who need 5000+ songs at a gym? For this very reason, that's why there is no official Apple-branded arm-band case for the HDD based iPods.

Can't stand companies that lock you into stuff, hmmm, like itunes for example.

I prefer better sound quality so after reading reviews from everywhere possible got the Samsung P2 and using Denon AH-D2001 headphones, f'n cracker set up, and is more than just a music player.

Edited by Mr. Pink

I prefer better sound quality

Well, mp3 players probably aren't for you full stop! ;)

FLAC...

I never said the P2 was an MP3 player...The P2, among all the formats that it can play, plays XVid and OGG files so I would say that it is actually a portable media player and given that is plays OGG files i'd actually say quality is a very reasonable option ;)

You guys with the crapped out iPods could try iFix in Wellington- they were amongst the first to start repairing iPods in NZ (if not the first), and still going strong (well, last I heard anyway).

And if they reckon it's beyond salvage, at least you'll get a choc bar! :D

Mines still going strong and ive had it for about 2.5yrs but hardly ever gets used so i guess that has alot to do with it. It has frozen a few times but thats a simple fix at the press of a few buttons...

I've had mine for about 3 years, carry it with me to work every day, been dropped a few times, never had any problems. It does however once in a while drain a whole battery in less than 2 hours even if not listening to music, but I can live with that :)