Sign in to follow this  
jjs

300,000th M Car rolls off the production line

What is your favourite M Car  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From Topgear.com

The 300,000th BMW 'M' car has just rolled off the production line marking, with typical Teutonic synchronicity, the 30th anniversary of the M-division.

The milestone car was, since you ask, a white M3 Coupe. OK, this is a bit of an excuse to show some gratuitous pictures of old M-cars, but we're not apologising.

BMW's motorsport division was actually established back in 1972, but didn't produce its first road-going car - the legendary M1 - until 1978.

Over the next three years, BMW produced just 445 M1s, but proper mass production didn't kick off until 1984, when the first M5 was launched. With a straight six producing a decidedly modest (by modern supersaloon standards at least) 286bhp from its straight six.

Two years later, the first M3 arrived with - shock horror - a 2.3-litre four pot engine. But it looked great. Since then we've seen a further three generations of M3s and a hell of lot of other M cars.

All of which raises today's big question: if you could have one, just one BMW M car from the last 30 years, what would it be? Answers on a postcard please. An electronical email postcard to tgweb@bbc.co.uk titled 'BMW M cars'.

post-1418-1213921769_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeremy

300,000 is quite a few!

Would have voted E30 M3 but after driving a tame V8 BMW I can only imagine how the new M3 would go. My vote would be for a M3 Touring, Silver, 19†wheels.

where's the E28 M5? and the old M6 for that matter?

Is that a trade-me question or are you actually going to vote for them? <_<

e 90 m3 feels awesome,but somehow the thought of a e39 m5 is right for a five fan

I want more than one vote >.<

Is that a trade-me question or are you actually going to vote for them? <_<

bit of both TBH, e28 is badass, and pretty significant as one of the first sports saloons and the first mainstream M car. I didn't vote for it but reckon it shouldn't get chucked under "Other" either.

where's the E28 M5? and the old M6 for that matter?

Knew I would miss something, hence the "other" category

Knew I would miss something, hence the "other" category

unforgiveable....bimmer nut who cant identify BMW most important cars.... tsk tsk

I am going to say the M535 should be in there too? E12?

Edited by kiwi535

then you would have to but that E21 323i in there also ;)

bit of both TBH, e28 is badass, and pretty significant as one of the first sports saloons and the first mainstream M car. I didn't vote for it but reckon it shouldn't get chucked under "Other" either.

+1

850Csi maybe? (WBS VIN - let the debating start?)

Jeremy!!! :P

300,000... that's more than enough for all of us on this site :D

White E28 M535i, no contest.... :wub:

That is one load of m and m's running around. :lol:

Could you please in plain English explain to me what on earth Teutonic synchronicity means :huh: as I'm only a working man and big words like these leave wondering, laughing quietly to him self as he types this out???

That is one load of m and m's running around. :lol:

Could you please in plain English explain to me what on earth Teutonic synchronicity means :huh: as I'm only a working man and big words like these leave wondering, laughing quietly to him self as he types this out???

300,000th BMW 'M' car has just rolled off the production line marking, on, the 30th anniversary of the M-division