Sign in to follow this  
buz413

Locked Out

so, i've had a second car to drive round lately, so the BMW has been parked in the garage. Been sitting there for bout 2 weeks and the batteries gone flat, no drama, that was expected.

But i deadbottled the doors last time i locked it, and now i'm locked out.

Tried coathanger but with it deadbottled it wont unlock, all i can think of his poping out the small rear window and poping the bonnet to jump it.

any one else got any ideas?

so, i've had a second car to drive round lately, so the BMW has been parked in the garage. Been sitting there for bout 2 weeks and the batteries gone flat, no drama, that was expected.

But i deadbottled the doors last time i locked it, and now i'm locked out.

Tried coathanger but with it deadbottled it wont unlock, all i can think of his poping out the small rear window and poping the bonnet to jump it.

any one else got any ideas?

use the manual bonnet release to open the bonnet, stick some jumper cables onto the +ve contact and the body somewhere to get power to the car, use your key or alarm remote?

I Agree with Ollie

just get your bonnet open cause if the door is still deadbolted your not going to get it open even if you get in the car without taking the side panel off,

Hope you get in

Cheers

sweet, wheres the manual bonnet release?

um i don't actually know, it will be behind one of the front grills. You just stick a screw driver through or something.

Good Luck

ok cool, well its a start, i would look in the car's manual but the manual is inside the car :D

if all else fails the sunroof is slightly ajar, i was thinking of finding some really really really longnose pliers and pulling the bonnet lever.

cheers for the help guys,

Put the key in the drivers door and put slight pressure towards the unlock position, then lift the handle slightly while applying a bit more pressure on the key. You will feel a position in the barrel that will allow it to unlock.

You might have to try a few times. Failing that, jack the car up and attach a jumper lead to the starter battery feed to give the car battery power. Then open it

BTW... there is no manual bonnet release from the outside

ok, i'l give it a go later tonight. thanks.

hey, how busy are you guys the moment? once i get into it the BMW its due for a service & needs a WOF etc.

lol i did this on e36, no deadbolt tho, but when u lock an e36 and its flat the rear right door dosnt lock so u can get back in :D

anyways, good luck :)

ok cool, well its a start, i would look in the car's manual but the manual is inside the car :D

if all else fails the sunroof is slightly ajar, i was thinking of finding some really really really longnose pliers and pulling the bonnet lever.

cheers for the help guys,

Just give me a call when your ready. If you have trouble with it you can ring me tonight on my mobile, not after 8.00 though 021921377

I've lost count of how many times I've seen this happen and had to replace windows, door handles, locks, front grilles, petrol flaps????, and even entire doors. Glenn is spot on as usual. There is a manual lock release when dead bolted and you have a flat battery. Follow his instructions. Although I have had a few which it didn't work on, sometimes the passenger side will work if the drivers side doesn't. Failing that the option of jumping off the starter motor is the next best.

Good luck :)

yea, so just went home and tried the key trick but to avail.

so looks like i'l have to jack it and jump it..... sh*t.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen this happen and had to replace windows, door handles, locks, front grilles, petrol flaps????, and even entire doors. Glenn is spot on as usual. There is a manual lock release when dead bolted and you have a flat battery. Follow his instructions. Although I have had a few which it didn't work on, sometimes the passenger side will work if the drivers side doesn't. Failing that the option of jumping off the starter motor is the next best.

Good luck :)

ooops...forgot to mention try both sides

yea, so just went home and tried the key trick but to avail.

so looks like i'l have to jack it and jump it..... sh*t.

it works.I have done this on my 535 on the drivers door.You have to turn the key ALL the way to the right,there is some resistance.As you turn far to the right pull the door handle up.Try different combinations of turning the key and lifting the handle and you will see the pin move a little bit,and eventually you will get in.Another option is to open the boot and put 12v across the tail lights.(a different version of glenns).Search the internet for other versions.bimmernut and bimmerforums have good e34 forums

thanks guys, you were right, worked first time on the passenger door!

cheers for the help.

I have been in a worse situation than being locked out of my car. I Locked myself in my car.

My alarm deadlocks the doors and when set off or armed, unarmed and armed again within 30seconds it sets off the panic and disables the remote (for 3 minutes - I discovered this months later). I got into my car in an underground car park and sat on the remote and armed it again, so went to unarm it again and it set off the panic jamming me in and I couldnt unlock the doors manually or via the remote. So I sat there setting the alarm off every time I moved, and decided to put the key in the ignition, woohoo I had power but no start as to be expected but I could wind the window down. So I decided to try and unlock using the discussed manual key method, but as soon as I took the key out of the ignition the windows would wind up. So I wound them all down which would give me more time to complete the unlock procedure as the sunroof closes first and then the passenger side windows and then the drivers side windows. But I didn't get it unlocked in time and my car was trying to chop my arm off with the window, and I dropped the keys outside the car trying to get my arm out\in?? of the window. So I sat in my car, the alarm blaring, getting deafened feeling like chopper of the century and ate my chocolate bar and sulked. The parking booth lady came over about 10 minutes later as I was parked near the door and the alarm kept going off. I had to explain the key unlock procedure to her and I finally escaped.

I've managed to do this a couple of times since and have wound the windows down, climbed out of the window and then taken the key out of the ignition and quietly chuckled when the windows wind up and then unlock it to get back in, I do get strange looks when I perform this procedure.

I have been in a worse situation than being locked out of my car. I Locked myself in my car.

My alarm deadlocks the doors and when set off or armed, unarmed and armed again within 30seconds it sets off the panic and disables the remote (for 3 minutes - I discovered this months later). I got into my car in an underground car park and sat on the remote and armed it again, so went to unarm it again and it set off the panic jamming me in and I couldnt unlock the doors manually or via the remote. So I sat there setting the alarm off every time I moved, and decided to put the key in the ignition, woohoo I had power but no start as to be expected but I could wind the window down. So I decided to try and unlock using the discussed manual key method, but as soon as I took the key out of the ignition the windows would wind up. So I wound them all down which would give me more time to complete the unlock procedure as the sunroof closes first and then the passenger side windows and then the drivers side windows. But I didn't get it unlocked in time and my car was trying to chop my arm off with the window, and I dropped the keys outside the car trying to get my arm out\in?? of the window. So I sat in my car, the alarm blaring, getting deafened feeling like chopper of the century and ate my chocolate bar and sulked. The parking booth lady came over about 10 minutes later as I was parked near the door and the alarm kept going off. I had to explain the key unlock procedure to her and I finally escaped.

I've managed to do this a couple of times since and have wound the windows down, climbed out of the window and then taken the key out of the ignition and quietly chuckled when the windows wind up and then unlock it to get back in, I do get strange looks when I perform this procedure.

Dont bring that thing in for a service here....not if it tries eating people :unsure:

Dont bring that thing in for a service here....not if it tries eating people :unsure:

:o I could never let anybody else service my babies, who knows what they'd do to them :)

hahaha no way. best chuckle ive had today.

Funny as it may sound... yes it did happen I even have a spare key hidden INSIDE that particular car now.

Funny as it may sound... yes it did happen I even have a spare key hidden INSIDE that particular car now.

hahaha, classic.....

Thats a great story :D

I know I'm still proud of myself for doing it :) I will be transferring that alarm to my replacement car when I can be bothered swapping everything over to the new body. I'll have to change the locks and ignition though because neither drivers or passengers doors will do the manual key unlock for some reason.

I know I'm still proud of myself for doing it :) I will be transferring that alarm to my replacement car when I can be bothered swapping everything over to the new body. I'll have to change the locks and ignition though because neither drivers or passengers doors will do the manual key unlock for some reason.

what model is this...? :unsure: