Sign in to follow this  
moktar

Xenon bulbs

Hey all,

As a few people have been wondering what kinda light these bulbs produce i thought id chuck up a couple of pics.

these bulbs are avalible at any auto store or hopehickman electrical.

i put ice blue 8000k bulbs into my high beam, low beam and fogs for the park lights i used pure white bulbs as the ice blue where pretty much bright vivd blue... looked rice as

I do quite alot of night driving from Auckland down to whitianga and these make the drive soo much easier.

8000k.bmp

8000k2.bmp

lol this answers my question which i just asked in my thread :P. anyways can u take some pics of low beam? i think pics will come out better if you taken from above headlight...so light isnt going directly into camera. daytime would be better... i just want to see what kind of colour your bulb produces. ive seen so many variations. cheers

You guys should really look at getting HID's. They are much much better. My mate Brendon at Hopehickman can install them very quickly. Did mine today.

They are not so good on the PFL E30 lights though. But great on the facelift ones. E36 should be fine.

Paid $100 for my H1 HID kit off Trademe. Brendon thinks I got the mean deal. Meaning that they are not the crap chinese ones he thought I was going to give him.

You guys should really look at getting HID's. They are much much better. My mate Brendon at Hopehickman can install them very quickly. Did mine today.

They are not so good on the PFL E30 lights though. But great on the facelift ones. E36 should be fine.

Paid $100 for my H1 HID kit off Trademe. Brendon thinks I got the mean deal. Meaning that they are not the crap chinese ones he thought I was going to give him.

how much for installation? yea im really thinking about hids. can u also link me the kit? i was thinking about hiding the fogs too :S but i duno if its a good idea lol

Edited by stylish_division

i installed some new H1 "plus 30" bulbs the other day(one blew and i always replace in pairs) definetly more light(low beam) maybe its just due to repalcing the OLD bulbs

Edited by kiwi535

I've got H.I.Ds in my E36 and they're amazing at night the completely light up the road and look good at the same time.

Are you guys fitted high intensity discharge “bulbs†to your factory light clusters?? If so this is illegal and highly f**king annoying and dangerous.

In Ausi Cops are impounding cars for this.

There is a reason these lights are a $3000+ option on cars, its more than just a bulb, it’s a whole light unit that needs self leveling and cleaning devices.

:huh:

Why is it dangerous? they've been in my car for about 3 years with no probs..

Because they bling and dazzle other road users, potentially causing a accident not to mention temporary blindness.

They are illegal for a reason.

i installed some new H1 "plus 30" bulbs the other day(one blew and i always replace in pairs) definetly more light(low beam) maybe its just due to repalcing the OLD bulbs

That would probably be the combination of new bulbs, and the new ones being 30% brighter... They won't last as long, but it isn't normally a problem unless you are a real night owl. Damn good policy to replace them in pairs.

Are you guys fitted high intensity discharge “bulbs†to your factory light clusters?? If so this is illegal and highly f**king annoying and dangerous.

There is a reason these lights are a $3000+ option on cars, its more than just a bulb, it’s a whole light unit that needs self leveling and cleaning devices.

+1000000

Using an HID burner (not to be mistaken for an H7/H1 filament bulb with "Xenon" on the box...) in a regular lamp designed for a filament bulb is downright dangerous and irresponsible. You may well end up seeing a lot less than you did with the filament bulb as the light source position (i.e.: the filament - HID burners don't have a filament) is incredibly important for correct photometric performance. You could also blind oncoming drivers very easily.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - anyone using HID burners in a std lamp deserves a slapping. Don't mess with precisely designed safety equipment unless you know more than the engineer that designed it.

That would probably be the combination of new bulbs, and the new ones being 30% brighter... They won't last as long, but it isn't normally a problem unless you are a real night owl. Damn good policy to replace them in pairs.

i do it becuase just about every time i replacea bulb(say tailight) the other side blows son after,one time as soon as i turne the lights on after repalcing one,ding.......tail light...wtf...was the other side!Also different batches are may be a different wttage(slightly) and you have different brightnes one side to another ..that always annoys me!

Well I see alot more than I did with the dangerous PFL E30 stock setup. And sitting my E30 next to my Dads E55 merc there is Bugger all differance between them. Infact his are a little brighter on the eyes but dont light up the road any better.

However if you install HID's into the stock PFL E30 glass they do not work very well. Still better than stock. But seem to just project the light in all different directions. The facelift projector lights work very well.

I have asked mates who have passed me on dark twisty roads if my lights were bright or distracting. They are apparently no brighter than other lights. Just a better looking color. Also have had no trouble with Police. Going for a WOF this week too. Bet there is no questions asked.

Does anybody have a copy of the rule thats states they are not to be fitted?

i do it becuase just about every time i replacea bulb(say tailight) the other side blows son after,one time as soon as i turne the lights on after repalcing one,ding.......tail light...wtf...was the other side!Also different batches are may be a different wttage(slightly) and you have different brightnes one side to another ..that always annoys me!

Lightbulbs fit the failure rate bathtub curve really well - and yeah it is really annoying when the other goes 3 weeks later!

Well I see alot more than I did with the dangerous PFL E30 stock setup. And sitting my E30 next to my Dads E55 merc there is Bugger all differance between them. Infact his are a little brighter on the eyes but dont light up the road any better.

However if you install HID's into the stock PFL E30 glass they do not work very well. Still better than stock. But seem to just project the light in all different directions. The facelift projector lights work very well.

I have asked mates who have passed me on dark twisty roads if my lights were bright or distracting. They are apparently no brighter than other lights. Just a better looking color. Also have had no trouble with Police. Going for a WOF this week too. Bet there is no questions asked.

Does anybody have a copy of the rule thats states they are not to be fitted?

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/vehicles/...ghts-right.html

Let me be very clear - a lamp (including lens) needs to be specifically designed for HID burners - you cannot just replace a normal H1/H7 bulb with a burner. You can, however, replace an entire light module with an HID kit - this includes the lens etc as well, and comes with a certification like http://www.hella.co.nz/?t=9&pcid=187&a...7&View=Full .

Unless you can prove that you meet the minimum / maximum intensity requirements they are illegal - and this is not something you can check with the naked eye. Your insurance company might have something to say if they caused an accident as well.

I hear Bosch are doing the same tests, they just got there mates to drive past and there mates said it looked mean and didn’t effect anything… there mates recond the blue looked f**king bad and f

Baseball bat to the headlight will fix it.

But seem to just project the light in all different directions.

isnt that exactly what you DONT want on low beam...thats why putting a different bulb into a housing not designed for it is not a good idea

I was just giving an opinion that my lights don't "Dazzle" oncoming drivers. Once again. The Bimmersport smart ass know it alls just can't keep their pointless comments to themselves. Thanks Apex.

Thanks for the links elmarco

I did read a while ago on a US site who were selling HID kits for E30's that they use modified facelift dipped beam units. They were stated to be legal in the states. Could have differant laws though. I wonder if I purchased some of these units they would be legal. Even know it is what I already have.

However, a complete halogen headlamp unit can be replaced with a complete HID headlamp unit provided that the replacement headlamp unit complies with approved standards. If in doubt, get advice from a vehicle lighting retailer you trust.

Edited by driftit

isnt that exactly what you DONT want on low beam...thats why putting a different bulb into a housing not designed for it is not a good idea

Yes that was on the old PFL dipped beams. Which I do not recomend obviously. The FL projector type dipped beam solved this.

Yes that was on the old PFL dipped beams. Which I do not recomend obviously. The FL projector type dipped beam solved this.

makes sense...the projectors would have more"control" you would think.I have heard that HIDS must be factory,comlete with washers and adjustors.That of course makes it poible to retro fit e 39s and the like but at some cot/difficulty

At the end of the day, if you have HID lights in factory projector light clusters they aren't usually going to dazzle other drivers unless they are adjusted incorrectly, my ones are in Projector clusters with leveling motors and I've never had a problem and they light up the road SO much better than standard ones.

I was just giving an opinion that my lights don't "Dazzle" oncoming drivers. Once again. The Bimmersport smart ass know it alls just can't keep their pointless comments to themselves. Thanks Apex.

Thanks for the links elmarco

I did read a while ago on a US site who were selling HID kits for E30's that they use modified facelift dipped beam units. They were stated to be legal in the states. Could have differant laws though. I wonder if I purchased some of these units they would be legal. Even know it is what I already have.

The US regulations are totally different to here (SAE/DOT vs ECE). There are some major differences even though they appear to be basically the same lamps. Apart from the dip pointing to the wrong side (LHD vs RHD) the SAE rules don't require the washer and self levelling systems that ECE rules state (I think the jap rules also allow HID without washers). This is why all NZ (or Australian/UK) spec vehicles with HID also have the washer systems for the lamps and some of the imports don't.

Interestingly, I saw the first motorcycle HID headlamp on my last business trip to Europe. It was for a US bound bike - they can't use them anywhere else in the world as the ECE rules require a washer system and self levelling and bikes don't have these systems....

At the end of the day, if you have HID lights in factory projector light clusters they aren't usually going to dazzle other drivers unless they are adjusted incorrectly, my ones are in Projector clusters with leveling motors and I've never had a problem and they light up the road SO much better than standard ones.

That really depends on the arc position relative to the lens. If the burner isn't located correctly it could easily blind someone.

Hey didnt see all the post on here till now, they are not "high intensity bulbs" they are Silver/chrome bulbs that are h7 55w completley legal.

The problem is when you fit H.I.D kits to a lense that is not capable to handle and spread the beam efficently. I have spoken to numerous people and this is the reason i havent gone ahead with it.

Super fogs are cool though!!

ill post a better pic of the lights later