Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Okta Touch

I have a Telecom Okta Touch (a.k.a HTC Touch) phone.

Does anyone on here know where I can download software / games for free? Was googling a few sites, but they looked dodgy. Is there a risk of loading a virus on my phone by downloading something like this to the phone? I would download it onto my PC, then transfer to the phone via USB.

Also, what do you guys think of these phones? As a "phone" i've been pretty disappointed. Its tricky to text on, voice quality is average and battery life is terrible. Keep waiting for Telecom to launch a new Nokia, but I think I could be waiting some time!!!

Haven't used one myself (working for Vodafone in the past does that to you), all I can say is that we lost a big client to Telecom based on the revolutionary Okta and they have regretted it ever since.

But hey, I'm a sucker for any device that's Windows Mobile. Looked off and on a while ago for my JAMin but gave up (shareware ftl!)

Our reps at work were offered them on a trial basis and not one of them took the phone... they all said they would rather carry around both a dedicated PDA and a cellphone than use the Okta!

A work-mate has one of them...

What he said pretty much sums up the 2 comments above me on the quality of them.

Plus they aren't to flash on getting reception.

There's my 2cents.

What he said ^^^^

I know several people with them and not a single one would have bought it themselves if they had had the choice.

What he said ^^^^

I know several people with them and not a single one would have bought it themselves if they had had the choice.

Yes, think I may have to get rid of it! I had a Nokia, and this is supposedly an upgrade... Yeah right!

What is the status with iPhone's on the Telecom network?

Keep waiting for Telecom to launch a new Nokia, but I think I could be waiting some time!!!

Are Nokia still making phones for CMDA networks?? I thought they had given up on them (as they were a dying breed) to focus on 3G and GSM. Maybe someone on the forum works for Telecom and can elaborate.

I guess you might have to wait until Telecom roll out their new network....

October I THINK, its being built atm. ( I work for them, but not in a mobile department )

Edited by Chris C

I have the previous HTC which has a slide out keyboard. Makes the touch seem like a piece of sh*t. Yeah mines fatter, and has equally dismal battery life, but I have a charging cradle and rotate batteries, and the keyboard is badass.

Try www.ppcgeeks.com forums. There are dozens of links to cool software. My HTC was running the old windows mobile. I downloaded the new windows 6.1 from that site (they even have the version for Telecom NZ), and a bunch of iphone skins/emulation, and some cool apps (like java-enabled gmail, and adobe reader).

I was also able to flash the firmware for my radio = my reception is now awesome, and battery life is better.

I only go there for free downloads so don't ask me what the forums are like, but they look pretty busy.

Hey Guys,

The OKTA Touch is an HTC Touch. There is no difference other than a bit of branding software added by OKTA.

As for CDMA - Telecom will launch it's WCDMA network later this year - 2100mHz GSM.

New handset Range to accompany it as well. It's a 4g network, basically max download and max upload, but unlike Voda's crap 3g coverage, it'll ACTUALLY covers greater Auckland.

Plus Point - unlock the 3G iPhone - run it on the new telecom network - better coverage, better plans

Two comments on the above ^^^^

As far as Im aware Telecom hasnt confirmed the switch from 850Mhz to 2100Mhz yet for WCDMA. If they do make the change then Telecoms 3G coverage will be anywhere you currently get coverage.

However what makes you think their plans will be any better ? Neither Telecom or Vodafone have any real competition and are open to charge whatever they like. Surely the iphone launch has just proven that.

Edited by Penry

From what I remember from my GSM training wouldn't it be a stupid thing to change from 850Mhz to 2.1Ghz as far as signal distance and penetration is concerned? This is the very reason VFNZ is changing to 900Mhz for their 3G as it will unlock more customers in outlying area.

Are Nokia still making phones for CMDA networks?? I thought they had given up on them (as they were a dying breed) to focus on 3G and GSM. Maybe someone on the forum works for Telecom and can elaborate.

I guess you might have to wait until Telecom roll out their new network....

Yes Nokia are still making a very limited amount of CDMA phones.

I may have got the frequencies the wrong way around :( Let me check and get back to you.

[edit]

Sorry my mistake :(

Telecoms 3G network was going to be 2100Mhz sites in the main cities and 2G 850Mhz everywhere else, but they are now considering WCDMA at 850Mhz which would mean 3G coverage better than Vodafones current 3G coverage.

Edited by Penry

Sorry, I was unclear, I'm not sure what the network frequency will be, but I can check that out and get back to you guys.

The GSM/WCDMA handsets that will be offered are going to be quad band.

The current T3G network will not support the new network, that's why Telecom has been putting up cell towers everywhere.

There are currently 5000 Telecom GSM handset in the mass market on trail.

There's a bit more info available in Telecom stores.

As for the plans - Anytime, Mytime and Business FLEXI plans own anything Vodafone is offering at the moment. And Telecom now has a set up similar to Best Mate. The new network will bring with it new offers and plans, plus a provisioning platform that allows Telecom to be exceptionally vdynamic in offering specials and additional services.

As for the iPhone, VodaNZ is offering the crapiest plans in the world. A typical example of a Non-New Zealand owned company taking advantage of a product's appeal. It doesn't phase me, cos I've never had Vodafone 3g coverage in my area.....2 minutes from Botany Town Centre!

Never liked Okta to tell you the truth, or other brands.

I’m a Nokia person. Got 2 Nokias. One is about 5 years old and still goes after dropping it like 1000 times. and other one is a smart phone "7710". Very cool toy!

I recon Nokia is the best!! Good on price, very reliable, battery live is great, and the actual phones are pretty cool!

Edited by BMW Boss

Used the Touch since launch - Have fully customized Touch Flo controls allow for faster access to menu structure, could not live with out this - is way faster than any symbian OS controls.

However and this is a big HOWEVER, the handset is far from stable and needs a soft reset almost everyday even tho i constantly clear the cache and memory. This may be due to the extent i use the device or the os platform or combination of both.

Due to the nature of my work it gets a constant thrashing, push email, calling, music streaming, pictures, internet etc.

Telecom WCMDA launch is due for November which will operate on quad band frequencies namely using 850MHZ (this will be EDGE capable - basically GPRS on steriods and cover the entire ) with the 2100MHZ being used to deliver HSPA services in all major centres at launch.

If you're wanting to get a bleeding edge handset this year, wait till end of november when the market will be more competitive and the range of handsets will be greater.