Sign in to follow this  
casualt

2000-2001 BMW 330CI expected value

Hi, am relatively new to the forum and looking at getting into one of the above, just wondering what you would expect is a fair price to pay for a low kms example (import), which is in good mechanical nic, with tidy body paint interior etc.... Steptronic or manual, not fussed. Given that its a real buyers market, they seem to be a cracking choice in terms of value for money. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Churr.

Hey bro, welcome to Bimmersport.

20-45k.. A high km Auto Crapanese import could be had for under 20.

Hey bro, welcome to Bimmersport.

20-45k.. A high km Auto Crapanese import could be had for under 20.

Quite a broad spectrum in price, cant really see a 2001 fetching 40k - but hey i would not know ;)

Am hoping to find a decent example for around the 30 mark. What do you think of the choice? Anything else in this marque worth looking at in the same price bracket. Have had a drive of the 330ci and absolutely loved it - will not be looking at anything but BMW, so yeah, is basically a case of which BMW...

Realistically you will be looking between 20 and 30k. Anything above this is a bit over-priced. Anything below and you should expect to spend the saving in upcoming items to be repaired/replaced.

Have a check on trade me but remember that some of those cars have been on there for a very long time. It's a buyers market right now so price reductions should be attainable.

Imports would be lower and manuals tend to be higher (because there are less of them). High mileage not such an issue with these cars as they a very well engineered but keep an eye on the cooling system (which is plastic and is known to fail at times - especially the thermostat).

As always try to get a car with a service history. As we all know, buying an unserviced beemer is a very expensive thing to maintain.

I picked up a cheap import (malaysia) a few months back for $14k. Few things needed doing but it is a great car to own. High Ks and import didn't put me off. There are a few 330 owners on here and they all seem happy with theirs.

Also if you get an import, go for a 2001+. The radio can just be changed to NZ (pre 2001 ones you have to buy a new radio).

Cheers

Oh, with a budget of 30k you should find yourself a nice NZ new Manual.

I would say get a manual, it would be a completely different car.

My old lady has a NZ new one and it hasn’t cost here a dime in nearly 8 years bar a set of tires and basic maintenance, highly recommend NZ new. Im sure you know what its like to end up with a lemon <_<

As I say with any new BMW purchased ... get a 'Pre-Purchase' inspection done at either Team McMillan or Jerry Claytons. Don't get an AA check as is more geared to being just a generic check of basica vehicle functions. That and they mostly spin crap.

BMW can actually plug your vehicle in and also quote on up and coming work on the car, including check all e46 pitfalls and can easily let you know what you in for.

Apex, you know not all imports are lemons ;) The difference between an import and NZ new e46 are actually very few, only in the radio department and body kit.

To the Casault, Try get an 02-03 motorsport. youll get all the revised parts and newer facelift look. the M-tech2 coupes are quite nice if I do say so myself :)

Well... What about this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=159182035. Have had it overnight and appears to be immaculately kept. It has all of the original parts including air box wing mirrors stock suspension, and the list goes on. Really hard to fault. Love the interior combination also. How much better would a manual be? I mean I would love one but the steptronic transmission seems really good, and finding one in the colour and interior combination i want, for the right price will be alot more difficult.

Try get one with leather if possible .. its a 1000 times better. Its not theend of the world if you get cloth as you can do what I did and pay Retro vehicle enhancements $2500 and get it done (is better qauilty than the stock BMW leather)

also try get the multi function steering wheel (steering wheel with buttons)

that looks good .. just missing a few key options.

Try get one with leather if possible .. its a 1000 times better. Its not theend of the world if you get cloth as you can do what I did and pay Retro vehicle enhancements $2500 and get it done (is better qauilty than the stock BMW leather)

also try get the multi function steering wheel (steering wheel with buttons)

that looks good .. just missing a few key options.

A NZ new model will have both.

Not sure if the imports are unreliable or not im just going off how reliable mums is and how unreliable a couple of imports myself and friends have had, it all comes down to service history I suppose and that can be hard to find when a car has come from another country.

I do believe that in the long run the premium paid for a NZ new with FSH will pay off.

Well... What about this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=159182035. Have had it overnight and appears to be immaculately kept. It has all of the original parts including air box wing mirrors stock suspension, and the list goes on. Really hard to fault. Love the interior combination also. How much better would a manual be? I mean I would love one but the steptronic transmission seems really good, and finding one in the colour and interior combination i want, for the right price will be alot more difficult.

Not a bad example, plus black is a great colour for the car.

Hunted down an expired listing. It was a $1 reserve, these are always good for ascertaining the true value of a car. Closed now but it gives you some idea around price.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-157702768.htm

Pretty much exactly like the one you are thinking about but with leather, multifunction wheel and is NZ new.

Not a bad example, plus black is a great colour for the car.

Hunted down an expired listing. It was a $1 reserve, these are always good for ascertaining the true value of a car. Closed now but it gives you some idea around price.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-157702768.htm

Pretty much exactly like the one you are thinking about but with leather, multifunction wheel and is NZ new.

Cheers for all your input. Actually really like the suede? seats. And multifunction steering wheel would be nice, but not exactly essential. If I can get this one for the right price I think I will own it, post a thorough inspection. It also has bigger brakes w slotted rotors, and the suspension set up is very well done, was certed on arrival, original suspension was going to go back in but they were advised against it, due to it being a step backward... Also has carbon intake m3 mirrors etc. All stuff i would probably look at doing myself, and lose money on undoubtedly. the interior is pretty much like new. It really is hard to fault. But please continue to persuade me otherwise, the more input the better.

Cheers for all your input. Actually really like the suede? seats. And multifunction steering wheel would be nice, but not exactly essential. If I can get this one for the right price I think I will own it, post a thorough inspection. It also has bigger brakes w slotted rotors, and the suspension set up is very well done, was certed on arrival, original suspension was going to go back in but they were advised against it, due to it being a step backward... Also has carbon intake m3 mirrors etc. All stuff i would probably look at doing myself, and lose money on undoubtedly. the interior is pretty much like new. It really is hard to fault. But please continue to persuade me otherwise, the more input the better.

make yourself a wish list and keep looking.When you fine EXACTLY what you want then do it.Manual vs auto your choice.If you are happy with an auto there is probably very little in it,day to day an atuo is probably better...to me a manual adds to the driving experience/involvement,plus some extra control and predictablility.Get the absolute best one you find not necisarily the lowest k or youngest

Manual is would make the car 100% better IMHO , Steptronic is retarded, My car has the up down shift thing and would get annihilated threw a tight section of road by a much lesser manual car because of it. If you enjoy driving a manual is the better choice, not to mention future resale.

Manual is would make the car 100% better IMHO , Steptronic is retarded, My car has the up down shift thing and would get annihilated threw a tight section of road by a much lesser manual car because of it. If you enjoy driving a manual is the better choice, not to mention future resale.

Black manual coupe v in top condition hard to find not to mention the additional premium i would need to pay to secure it, i really didnt mind the steptronic, maybe its different in yours but seemed very adequate....

Mine is fine for everyday use but you can’t drive them hard, they just don’t work.

Depends on how hard you drive I sapose.

What you will pay extra you’ll get back when you sell it. Look at the price difference between a E36 328i Manual and a slush box.

Hmmm disagree again with the manual vs auto thing, Proved this on Taupo earlier this year as I could just shift faster and more stable in the auto, I could keep my foot down and get through the corners faster than a manual equivalant 330i driver. However .. you will have more fun in a manual. If you drive in town / motorway slog get an auto. If you think youll be driving open road or twisties more .. get a manual.

That seating is cloth not suede. you will understand when you get into a leather car what I mean about difference. I use to also have the same attitude about the steering wheel thing until I started using the cruise control .. made a lot of difference.

When buying a car try not to get your heart set on just one thing... as other have suggested, look for what you want.. you have taken the time to join this forum and ask for opinions.. I would jump on e46fanatics.com and have a look at other peoples interiors. Youll soon get a feeling for the different options availible. you can save yourself quite a bit of money if you can get them as standard options instead of doing it later on.

Hmmm disagree again with the manual vs auto thing, Proved this on Taupo earlier this year as I could just shift faster and more stable in the auto, I could keep my foot down and get through the corners faster than a manual equivalant 330i driver. However .. you will have more fun in a manual. If you drive in town / motorway slog get an auto. If you think youll be driving open road or twisties more .. get a manual.

That seating is cloth not suede. you will understand when you get into a leather car what I mean about difference. I use to also have the same attitude about the steering wheel thing until I started using the cruise control .. made a lot of difference.

When buying a car try not to get your heart set on just one thing... as other have suggested, look for what you want.. you have taken the time to join this forum and ask for opinions.. I would jump on e46fanatics.com and have a look at other peoples interiors. Youll soon get a feeling for the different options availible. you can save yourself quite a bit of money if you can get them as standard options instead of doing it later on.

Given the choice of either would what would you honestly take? manual or Auto?

Auto. Its why I imported mine as a auto because 99% of the time im in town traffic + I have an e30 m325i manual for weekend fun.

I think youll find many people are the same. Its like the 3g ipod, once the novelty has worn off its actually a pain in the ass for everyday use.

I use to have the same opinion about the auto/man thing would you believe.

Given the choice of either would what would you honestly take? manual or Auto?

I would prefer manual in most cases. But why, if it is so much better, do so few people order manuals from the factory?

I have to agree with Josh here on the gearbox thing. Steptronic is much better then people give it credit for. I absolutely loved in on the 740 and it was great fun attached to that engine.

When you consider how little you use a manual in modern day driving an auto with steptronic is a great solution.

I have to agree with Josh here on the gearbox thing. Steptronic is much better then people give it credit for. I absolutely loved in on the 740 and it was great fun attached to that engine.

When you consider how little you use a manual in modern day driving an auto with steptronic is a great solution.

+1 on the steptronic. It really is the best of both worlds, and once you learn how to use it properly you really can keep the engine humming along in the revband.

PS I deal with Peter at Countdown Cars, he is one of the nicest, genuine guys you will come across and ALL of his cars are top notch!

Edited by zenetti

I've got the step-tronic set-up, plus the flappy paddles on the M3 steering wheel.

Great to use them once in a while for just driving fun but most of the time I leave it in auto (general commuting and girlfirend who gets a bit sick if I take the twisties too fast).

Nothing up with the step-tronic in E46s, far improved over the E36 autos.

What you've got to consider is that most cars are for commuting not for track use. Auto makes sense as you will not be driving hard 90% of the time. Manuals, while fun at times, just get to be a pain in everyday use, IMO. Step-tronic gives you the ease of auto plus allowing you to have a bit more driver choice, over your gears, if you want it.

But, each to their own I suppose.

Now, back on topic...

328ci 2000 - Trademe

This is a hot example... NZ New, manual, good k's, leather and stuff. Not a 330 but the 328's are no slouch.

This looks like a nice car. Aluminium trim (so much nicer than wood!), black, NZ new and manual! I wonder what he wants for it though. I personally wouldn't go more than $26k.

Well... What about this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=159182035. Have had it overnight and appears to be immaculately kept...

Looks quite tidy, but I wouldn't rush into an import unless it was a really good buy.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-144245430.htm

I like this one, though it is a bit more than you may want to spend, though it seems worth it as far as i can see, that is, if you don't mind having a sedan.

Like the ad says, it's "Seriously for sale" :)

It has been "seriously for sale" for quite some time!!! It has an SMG gearbox, which is undesirable and can be harder to get rid of than AIDS. It is overpriced when you compare it to this NZ 330i in red, one of the best buys at the mo. If you offered, say, $26k you never know your luck.

At the end of the day, its up to you. As mentioned previously, if you want a manual you will need to pay a premium for it. I would wait for a nice NZ example to turn up.

If you want a jappa, they are being auctioned cheaply at Turners just about daily.

In the current market, you could probably bag what you are after quite cheaply. Don't be afraid to make a "silly" offer.

Edited by Crockett

Just had a search online for the Japan auction pricing and found this recent sale over there ...

2000 FA Black I ï¼“ï¼“ï¼ ï¼­ Sports AC 32,000km Grade 4.5 1,475,000 Yen

This would be a mint example with the M Sport. Landed price on the road would be $NZ 24,500. Black has a premium price in Japan.

Another one in silver was ...

2001 FA Silver I 330C M Sports SR AC 53,000km Grade 4.0 1,145,000 Yen

This one would be $NZ 20,200 on road here.