Sign in to follow this  
tire

E30 headlight issue

Yes I have searched BS and E30tech and google.

My drivers side lights have issues.

Car is an 1986 e30.

Last weekend early morning my drivers side park light wasn't working (first click). Main light (2nd click) was not going either for the first 200metres, then I pulled over gave it a fiddle and it worked. Park light did not work for the rest of the day. Both high beams were working fine. Passenger side lights working right as rain.

This morning the issue is the same. Only now, the main light thats did work after a bit will not work at all. Both side high beams still fine.

Gave it another fiddle now - still not working.

I started pulling the steering wheel off and dash apart and then it got dark.

Please tell me what are the things are that could possibly be causing this and which alley I should go down first.

My first thought was to pull the dash and check the switch. But I couldnt finish that. Could it be a fuse? (I don't know what that entails but I hear people saying "it was just the fuse" all the time lol). Or a bulb?

Cheers

Posted Image

Could be the relay or a dodgy connection somewhere. You just have to use a process of elimination - it shouldn't be too hard. Do you have access to a multimeter?

Firstly - problem wont be inside the car

Likely to be a bulb or connection to it for the headlight - Check the riveted wiring connections through the steel cap on the back of the lamp (common fault)

Park light - is the R/H rear going? If not - a fuse

Otherwise if it is - probably a bulb.

With respect though - if you are not sure what you are doing - best get an auto sparky to check it - a 5 min job (to diagnose anyway)

Hotwire is on the right track. If any of the lights are going, it won't be the switch or they wouldn't work either.

Left and Right have separate fuses, so if tail lights work but headlights don't on that side, it can't be a fuse.

I had a similar problem on my old car. Except instead of fiddling with the headlight to make it work I'd slam the bonnet and it would come back on again! Turned out to be a combination of faulty bulbs/connections and a melted connector at the back of one headlight.

Confirmed it indeed the bulb that is out.

Will need to replace whole headlight as pre fl ones are sealed.

Confirmed it indeed the bulb that is out.

Will need to replace whole headlight as pre fl ones are sealed.

check that,

pretty sure mine aren't sealed. May have only been the US cars that were

check that,

pretty sure mine aren't sealed. May have only been the US cars that were

Oh. I only heard it from the bentley manual, and thats a US publication I think.

hmm. Mines NZ new.

Bit rainy to check now.

Cheers for that

Yeah sealed beams were a legal requirement in the US until the mid 80's... Something to do with the piss poor quality coming from their local manufacturers in the 40's and 50's (or maybe earlier) I think.

A mate of mine had a mid 80's Porsche 944 over there and the headlamps were sealed beams (shocking visibility).

Oh. I only heard it from the bentley manual, and thats a US publication I think.

hmm. Mines NZ new.

Bit rainy to check now.

Cheers for that

Some early 318/320s had sealed beams (NZ new inc)

Easy to tell, the front of a sealed beam is convex, the semi sealed is realitively flat.

In the semi - you can see the bulb inside - the sealed will have a filament.

In the sealed beam the wiring plug will connect directly to the terminals at the back of the lamp - the semi will connect to the bulb

Interesting elmarco

Some early 318/320s had sealed beams (NZ new inc)

Easy to tell, the front of a sealed beam is convex, the semi sealed is realitively flat.

In the semi - you can see the bulb inside - the sealed will have a filament.

In the sealed beam the wiring plug will connect directly to the terminals at the back of the lamp - the semi will connect to the bulb

Mine are relatively flat, although a little bit convex

I can see the bulb inside, under a shade. Can also see the little park light bulb under the main one.

It would appear to be a semi then. Thanks you very much for the help.

Any idea what bulb I need off the top of your head? My manual is not with me

Thanks again, brilliant help!

Interesting elmarco

Mine are relatively flat, although a little bit convex

I can see the bulb inside, under a shade. Can also see the little park light bulb under the main one.

It would appear to be a semi then. Thanks you very much for the help.

Any idea what bulb I need off the top of your head? My manual is not with me

Thanks again, brilliant help!

probably H1....your manual will tell you if you have one.

Yep H1

FINALLY came got home in time for a bit of daylight and got it done. Since my bonnet shock is dicky (whos isnt?) I just took the hood off. The old bulb was well fryed.

Thank you Paulsacks for the free bulb!

:)

you took the bonnet off to change a bulb in the headlight .. who else lolled?

I guess desparate times call for desparate measures.

Edited by Flux

you took the bonnet off to change a bulb in the headlight .. who else lolled?

I guess desparate times call for desparate measures.

+1. :), good on you tastic.

I would have just used a broom to prop it up but as long as you got it sorted.

Haha f**k yea why not? I'm doing it to learn.

Always wanted to drive a car without a bonnet too :)

I would have just used a broom to prop it up but as long as you got it sorted.

broomm ftw... have copped it a couple of times though...windy day at petrol stations whilst topping off oil mid service interval...see bonnet coming down.... brace yourself so oil doesnt go everywhere(dont forget e 34 pivots from front,oil filler on rear of engine)

Actually recently had the same issue with a low beam light,

1986 E30 Sealed Beam lights

Can't be relay (as relay controls both low beams)

Fuse was fine, checked them all

Pulled out the drivers side, swapped into passengers side, confirmed blown low beam bulb

Good thing is the Sealed Beam bulb is a standard 5 3/4" or 146mm circular 3 pin sealed beam light.

So relatively cheap (picked up a couple for $25.00 + gst each)

Replaced both due to second one looking like it was about to go and to make sure both were the same.

Taking off the bonnet seems to be a bit excessive, the replacement can be done 90% from the front with the need to only open the bonnet to remove the clips from the light surround.

Mind you, I have my fair share of head injuries from a failing bonnet strut.

after the last injury I decided to replaced it for a new one from Trademe for $40.00

Haha f**k yea why not? I'm doing it to learn.

Always wanted to drive a car without a bonnet too :)

Well done.... Can you give us a run through when you decide to check your spark plugs :)

Well done.... Can you give us a run through when you decide to check your spark plugs :)

lol....the first time i read this, all i could think about was that ad, where the guy took out the sump to check the spark plugs. (which were dirty)

Also one uncommon problem i had with my headlight was the connection through the back cover cap of the headlight. non f/l non sealed beam. I ended up drilling a hole through the copper rivet, where the wires go through the plastic bit and soldered a new connection up. Took me not long to find the break with a multimeter.

also got my bonnet strut regased, with someone else's struts being gased at the sametime. no more headbanging

lol good call!

I also took the air box out to replace the oil filter, does that make me retarded twice over?

Oh and I think I also have ticky valve eccentrics, so I shall keep you updated on my progress with them :)

Edited by tastic