Sign in to follow this  
jjs

E36 auto gear shift selectors

Will a facelift automatic gear selector fit on a pre facelift car?

I like the newer selector (similar to E39 syle) as opposed to the old T-bar.

Will this fit without having to do any modifications?

Yes they are realtivley interchangable as far as I know, quite easy actually. T-bar is ugly so you best change it to FL one.

you need the gear lever or the complete mech . not just the knob.

also you can disconect the silly gear lever locks while your in there .

Guest Simon*

Will a facelift automatic gear selector fit on a pre facelift car?

I like the newer selector (similar to E39 syle) as opposed to the old T-bar.

Will this fit without having to do any modifications?

Should have got a manual Jeremy ;)

Should have got a manual Jeremy ;)

Hmmm, did consider it but as 90% of my driving is in Auckland traffic it would annoy the hell out of me. Don't ever forget how lucky you are not living in Auckland!!! I would kill for the long open roads you get in some parts of NZ (sniff... misses Otago :unsure: ).

Also, the Mrs drives it too. Sadly, manuals don't go too well with her.

Edited by Crockett

i drive all manuals in ak trafic . love it , keeps my left leg strong , and gives me something to do on the way to work , i find auto's frustating how they slip up a gear all the time and a real pain when they pack up and cost $$$$$ to fix

I was thinking about doing this mod on my car... but I think the facelift shifter make the gear lever look too tall and gumby.

Perhaps if there was a way to have a leather shift boot fitted like on the E38/E38/E46 it would look better.

In the meantime I'll stick with the t-bar until I get my manual conversion done. (Which happens in my dreams most evenings)

i drive all manuals in ak trafic . love it , keeps my left leg strong , and gives me something to do on the way to work , i find auto's frustating how they slip up a gear all the time and a real pain when they pack up and cost $$$$$ to fix

I guess to be honest I would have liked a manual, but I just didn't think it was worth it.

People tend to want drug money for E36 328i manuals. You never see any tidy ones under $10k. In some cases people are wanting double what their automatic counterpart is selling for. This, coupled with the Auckland traffic led me to accept an automatic. Not worried about the transmission failing as the car has a warranty with it.

Hey hey hey, thats mine..

Herumph..

Can i buy those eyelids off you nick021? I completely forgot about them

Edited by Pjay

Would do the trick, but looks like its off a 4 cylinder. Not enough gears!

I don't think that matters, because all you need to replace is the shifter arm. You don't actually need the entire mechanism.

I was thinking about doing this mod on my car... but I think the facelift shifter make the gear lever look too tall and gumby.

Perhaps if there was a way to have a leather shift boot fitted like on the E38/E38/E46 it would look better.

In the meantime I'll stick with the t-bar until I get my manual conversion done. (Which happens in my dreams most evenings)

Yes you can have a leather boot on it - this is my old mans '96 e36 323i sedan. I have no idea whether its facotry or a/m, but his car seams to be well spec'd, m-wheel, 2 tone leather, woodgrain, etc

post-1740-1217313696_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1217313728_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1217313754_thumb.jpg

Yes you can have a leather boot on it - this is my old mans '96 e36 323i sedan. I have no idea whether its facotry or a/m, but his car seams to be well spec'd, m-wheel, 2 tone leather, woodgrain, etc

Hmm interesting... just had a look on realOEM.com and couldn't find any leather shift boots for auto transmissions, so it must be aftermarket.

Looks pretty good though, I've got a spare leather handbrake gaiter lying around so I might see if I can jimmy that up to fit! :D

Hmm interesting... just had a look on realOEM.com and couldn't find any leather shift boots for auto transmissions, so it must be aftermarket.

Looks pretty good though, I've got a spare leather handbrake gaiter lying around so I might see if I can jimmy that up to fit! :D

If it helps, the leather is really really soft and quite thin. nothing like handbrake ones.... and thinner and softer than e39 ones etc, but hope you can sort something! would be interesting to see how easy it is to do.