Sign in to follow this  
kanejones

WTB: E39 520i

Looking for a 520i thats done less than 160,000km's.

Prefer an E39 in black, white or silver.

Leave a message or text 0276611295

Lots on TradeMe.

But, you should go for a 523i or 528i. IMHO, 520i's are underpowered and as the majority are from Singapore they have electrical gremlins...

Lots on TradeMe.

But, you should go for a 523i or 528i. IMHO, 520i's are underpowered and as the majority are from Singapore they have electrical gremlins...

+2

My 320 is sluggish let alone the weight of a 5er

The BMW 520i: 0-100 in 15 minutes.

Could be worse... E34 518i

May seem a dumb, question but whats the fuel economy of a E39 520i compared with a 523i? Starting to get a bit concious of petrol prices. Thanks.

May seem a dumb, question but whats the fuel economy of a E39 520i compared with a 523i? Starting to get a bit concious of petrol prices. Thanks.

have a look at at that website for fuel economy....The 523(actually a detuned 2.5) will have more torque than the 520 and wil deal witht he weight better.Probably similar fuel economy in real life.520 would maybe be better if you are in a lot of stop go(a lot of Stop rather than go)

dont boter going to fuel saver...useless

Edited by kiwi535

I get about 12l/100km.Which sucks. And it is very underpowered.

you have to work the lower powered models harder so you dont actually get much more fuel economy, comes much more down to driving style. as others have said go for 523i or higher

I know it already has an estimate, but any thoughts on what this will go for? Really like it aye!

525i

Edited by kane

I know it already has an estimate, but any thoughts on what this will go for? Really like it aye!

525i

Price is OK. I guess the big bonus here is that someone else has spent the money on clear lights, wheels and kit. If it checks out OK, could be a good buy.

Post facelift (2001) 520i isnt really underpowered imo... 173HP (from memory), a difference of about 11HP from my 525i. In regards to Singapore imports, my car is one, no problems at all, got a good deal on it, all service history, everything was checked and break pads replaced, spare key etc for a price that rivals all the ones on trademe.

525i

Apparently has some problem with noise, check out the mechanical report. As much as I do LOVE that AC schnitzer kit, it has caused great problems for my mate, who has a 2001 520i with it on, apparently its a bitch going up driveways with it, because the E39 is already low, and the extensions on the front bumper make things worse.

Also.. Always thoroughly check out bodykit'd cars, because we all know most middle-aged men dont like sticking bodykits on cars :P

Edited by Avenged.SSE

Havn't dealt with Turners before. Do the cars have reserves on them?

Yep, generally they wont let a car go below a certain price, good thing with turners is they dont really lie to you (as far as I know) so they will disclose any major problems. But yeah they normally will see how far the price goes up and if it doesn't reach the 'reserve' they'll talk with the owner about 'possibly' letting it go for a lower price.

Sometimes the bastards themselves bid on the car to raise the price, and if it doesn't sell they just relist, its wat happened with my ex-car, they took the bids right up to the exact 'reserve' price the auctioneer had quoted me on the fone, then they stopped bidding.

Yep, generally they wont let a car go below a certain price, good thing with turners is they dont really lie to you (as far as I know) so they will disclose any major problems. But yeah they normally will see how far the price goes up and if it doesn't reach the 'reserve' they'll talk with the owner about 'possibly' letting it go for a lower price.

Sometimes the bastards themselves bid on the car to raise the price, and if it doesn't sell they just relist, its wat happened with my ex-car, they took the bids right up to the exact 'reserve' price the auctioneer had quoted me on the fone, then they stopped bidding.

There are certainly some bargains to be had at Turners.

As for Turners bidding, it's perfectly legal to make "vendor bids" up to the reserve price. I wouldn't complain about it as it does pump up the price and create a bit of excitement.

The only thing I would be wary of is some of the cars that go through. Dealers do send stuff there that they wouldn't want to risk having on their yard, i.e. something that hass issues that will come back and bite them in the ass.

If you have never been to Turners before, make sure you attend a few auctions to get a feel of the process before you decide to buy. I've heard many stories of people paying far far too much for something in the heat of the moment as they got caught up in the excitement.

I've bought and sold cars through Turners and have always been happy with the outcome. Do remember that there are often additional costs to consider over and above the price at the fall of the hammer. E.g. On road costs for new imports etc.

Also I'd never own a 520.. You need 6 cylinders minimum! If you want fuel economy buy a smart car :P

Also I'd never own a 520.. You need 6 cylinders minimum! If you want fuel economy buy a smart car :P

520's HAVE 6 cylinders :P

An E39 520 is a 6 cylinder :wacko:

You forum sponsors obviously have too much time on your hands at the moment???????? :P:P:P

You forum sponsors obviously have too much time on your hands at the moment???????? :P:P:P

I'm retired Dave <_<