Sign in to follow this  
Matasorapit

First Euro Project

Hi people.

A short while back I brought this car.

Posted Image

computer will not allow me to add img script so will have to start another if I can not figure it out.

The bits added to the car so far are-

Lights, angel eyes.

Led rears

clear sides

Induction

Pistons

seals and block totally reconditioned

Manifold

muffler

mags

stereo system

alarm

full rieger kit

brakes

adjustable suspention

Steering wheel

Interior trim

Window tints in a few days

Edited by Matasorapit

Slot a BMW or lexus v8 in there?

Go and drive a e46 330i at a dealer and if that's not enough power for you post back so we can suggest alternatives, but you might find that before you do too much, a quick trade up to a 330i might save you big money in the future and give you the power you want.

No-one wants to change cars 5mins after buying one, but it may be an easy option.

All the rest sounds interesting. not all in my taste, but I'll reserve judgement until it finishes as it sounds like you have a relatively decent idea about what does and doesn't look good on these cars compared to many people.

Keep us updated with pics.

Im a boring old man so I would agree with Graham and simply buy a better BMW and save yourself a hell of a lot of time and effort.

In saying that, if you have the time and money and want something truly different I would look at a buying a wrecked M3 and creating NZ’s first E46 M3 4-door.

As far as the engine goes. I am loooking into what I can do with it. The engine bay is large enough to house a decent engine with a little tweeking. I do not want to put a rotary in as I have seen one BMW with one and it just aint cool anymore.

I am open to ideas here guys. This is a job for 2009 - 2010 but ideas now can help. I do not want to turbo the 318i engine. "If you put pretty shoes on little feet you still have little feet!"

Anyway, great to share.

PS, I have done up a few good cars before Syliva, GTT Caldina, Torana and EH holden but have never been so enthusiastic as with this little one.

You cannot do this economically on an E46. It would cost you more than buying another car. None of the control units will talk to each other. Youve got what youve got unfortunately....a E46 318 I and theres not alot you can do with it to get good HP gains. After 1998 most of the cars cannot be repowered economically. Your better off to buy the car you want with the HP you want.

...unless you rip out the bmw 1800 and replace with rb25det/26, 1jzgte, 2jzgte, sr20det, 1uzfe and get a link to run it. As glenn said going with post 98 bmw motors etc will run your bank dry

Edited by togate

...unless you rip out the bmw 1800 and replace with rb25det/26, 1jzgte, 2jzgte, sr20det, 1uzfe and get a link to run it. As glenn said going with post 98 bmw motors etc will run your bank dry

You cant even do that....ABS and CBE control units wont work. Your stuffed on an E46

Awesome responses people.

I have had a good amount of play time in a e36 330i. I like the car and the feel. With what-ever I do with this engine and bits it will be a big job. Was planning on it being a big job. Instead of buying a 300i and getting rid of this I will keep playing over the years and get a better engine sorted.

Putting a BMW V8 in would cost a little too much when I could put in a 350 for less than half the money. One thing that interests me is BMWs diesel v6 (I was reading about it in a BMW mag) but again will have to wait till they hit NZ and someone crashes the car before I can get my mitts on it. Realistically it wont be happening. I replaced the entire drive in my old Torana. Replacing the stock 4cyl with 350 chev, a tampered munchie gearbox and a custom ford 9". Thing is I am too old to go too fast and living down here in Palmy (I am from Auckland 2 years back) there aint much other than Manfield and racing aint my style (means to say "my nuts are not big enough!")

As far as finance goes it will also be a while. I plan to sell the caldina and use that money to kick it off. I dont plan on making a car for the magazine shows or drag strip, just another project. I also have a couple of kids so money goes before it gets saved most of the time. Still, keep the ideas coming in.

The way things are looking I will be aiming at something like a ford 6 turbo but will also need to change and adapt pretty much everything that is not cosmetic. Many of the Jap turbos can fit alright and have seen a few rotors but... nah! A reconditioned 330 engine, box and diff is the cheapest choice.

racing aint my style (means to say "my nuts are not big enough!")

Safer than kick boxing!?

Obviuosly you didn't read my answer correctly. You cant change an engine in an E46. None of the other systems will work. ABS, SRS, ASC, CBE control unit. How will you get a warrant ???

Obviuosly you didn't read my answer correctly. You cant change an engine in an E46. None of the other systems will work. ABS, SRS, ASC, CBE control unit. How will you get a warrant ???

I'm curious about this - I've been wondering if the prices on E46 etc would drop far enough to make some crazy project worthwhile, but know NOTHING about how deeply the systems are integrated into the car.

Does the ABS or SRS talk to the computer? Does the whole system just all freak out without the engine (and transmission) inputs? Can ASC be disabled - and/or why is it an issue if there is no engine controlled by the computer (it can cut power all it likes - nothing will happen without an engine on the end of it)?

And .. what is CBE?

I'm curious about this - I've been wondering if the prices on E46 etc would drop far enough to make some crazy project worthwhile, but know NOTHING about how deeply the systems are integrated into the car.

Does the ABS or SRS talk to the computer? Does the whole system just all freak out without the engine (and transmission) inputs? Can ASC be disabled - and/or why is it an issue if there is no engine controlled by the computer (it can cut power all it likes - nothing will happen without an engine on the end of it)?

And .. what is CBE?

CBE= Central body electrics

Nothing will work if you interupt the canbus line. No problems with pre 1998 cars with a bit of modifying, however on the later cars nothing will work. You can overcome it with heaps of $$$. However if you own a E46 318 I and want to turn it into a E46 M3. It would cost less to keep the 318 I, buy the M3 and save probably about $10,000

All ECU's interact on the late model cars and must communicate with each other on the bus line

So ... can you stick an aftermarket computer on an E46, leaving the factory ECU in place?

If yes, ergo you could swap the engine, with an aftermarket (or standard) ECU just to control the engine, again leaving the factory computer in place.

What won't work? Tacho - get aftermarket. ASC - who cares. ABS/SRS? Now there is a problem...

"how will I get a warrant?"

If it works and I can get it certified then its worth a shot. Both my holdens needed certified on a few occations. Now, there is an e46 here in Palmy with a rotary in it! And if wost comes to worst I can drop a 330 in it or a 325 but will have to change a few other things.

Mate, you may be right when it comes to NZ standards. If you are right it will be a shame but I will have to do what I can with what I can get. There is an e46 is Brisbane with a Nissan engine too.

"how will I get a warrant?"

If it works and I can get it certified then its worth a shot. Both my holdens needed certified on a few occations. Now, there is an e46 here in Palmy with a rotary in it! And if wost comes to worst I can drop a 330 in it or a 325 but will have to change a few other things.

Mate, you may be right when it comes to NZ standards. If you are right it will be a shame but I will have to do what I can with what I can get. There is an e46 is Brisbane with a Nissan engine too.

My God, do you listen?

If it works and I can get it certified then its worth a shot.

Short answer - it WON'T or it will be prohibitively expensive in which case would be a lot cheaper just to buy a 330i.

Mate, you may be right when it comes to NZ standards.

Glenn is right - he knows his stuff. If he says you can't do it, there's very little chance you would be able too.

iv seen that rotary e46 in taupo a couple weeks back, wouldn't do it myself but shows it can be done

edit - I have also seen pics of a jappa 2jzgte conversion done....will try find the site

double edit here it is - 2jzgte e46 - glenn is right though, it can be done if you have the cash. Realistically you would be better off getting an m3, atleast then you will be able to get most of your cash back by the time you sell.

Edited by togate

I did take note of all everyone has written here so sorry to get a few people upset.

Eddy, have we dated? cos you sound like an ex-girlfriend LOL. Chill out mate, I was reading very carefully what everyone has written.

togate, cheers mate. Awesome example.

Like I said before. Its a job that may take a few years of saving and watching money but it can be done or at least be done with a little money. I aint dead or unemployed... yet.

Look guys. I stuck the lights on the car. Will get some photos up as soon as I get the camera back. The lights were easy to place on.

I do appreciate everyones feedback so thanks.

In reality, anything can be done I spose if you want to through a sh*t load of $$$$ at it. What I was saying is you cant just change the motor, and the other controls will work....they wont. Even the engines are month specific, when you are doing engine replacements. E46 323's have two versions in one year and are not interchangeable for plug & play. All the control units in the car talk to each other and their software must match. Earlier cars you can split the systems like I did with my 318 TI when I put the M52 B28 motor in it. DME & EGS are linked and ABS & SRS are seperate I also had to disable ASC which the 318 had originally. After 1998 it gets much more complicated and cannot be done economically. In my car, if you scan it, DME, EGS & EWS come up with all relative info and display as a 328 I... ABS & SRS come up as a 318 TI. In a E46, ABS, SRS, ASC & CBE need bus signals from the DME & EWS as well.

Its not easy and very, very expensive to do, let alone all the mechanical mods. As I said, it would be cheaper to own a E46 318 I and buy a E46 M3 for more power than to try doing an engine conversion on the 318.

Nothing is impossible, but how much money will you end up throwing at it ?? At the end of the day it will still only be a 318. My car owes me $16,000 with out labour.

Do the research, and get all the right info from guys that have done conversions overseas, check if what they did will comply for our WOF & Cert laws, do the maths ($$$$) and then decide what to do before you go rushing into it.

Kombi (or Combi) = Instrument cluster

CBE (or ZKE) = Central body electrics

ZKM = Central body module

DME = Digital motor electronics

EGS= Electronic gearbox control

SRS= Supplimentary restraint system (airbag)

ABS= Antilock brake system

ASC= Automatic stability control

RXD= Receive data line

EWS= Drive authorisation system

Cheers

Glenn

BTW: I'm not upset, just trying to let you know what your up against, thats all :rolleyes:

Edited by botanymotorworx

From my perspective - thanks. Answers my questions - basically if you want to do it, while it may be possible to bypass some stuff it may be more economical to simply ditch all of the acronyms above (including the ABS), and you run into problems on:

- SRS, if it can't work standalone - there is no LVVTA way to remove SRS I don't think, except for a competition car

- I bet you'd have to fight to keep the aircon working.

It looks like everything else would need to be - in effect - a downgrade, and in any case a huge job.

From my perspective - thanks. Answers my questions - basically if you want to do it, while it may be possible to bypass some stuff it may be more economical to simply ditch all of the acronyms above (including the ABS), and you run into problems on:

- SRS, if it can't work standalone - there is no LVVTA way to remove SRS I don't think, except for a competition car

- I bet you'd have to fight to keep the aircon working.

It looks like everything else would need to be - in effect - a downgrade, and in any case a huge job.

Very, very true you would have to change every system to some sort of stand alone operating system

Awesome info in those last two posts.

When I brought the car, I payed next to nothing. When I brought it my initial intention was to get it up and running better and sell it. Then I got a concept of having another play car, a project again. It has cost me a few grand in getting the engine done and the others like airbags and brakes. I have spent a bit of money already. The lights cost a bit and the kit cost me about 3 and a half. Over time I will do some more research and pick the brains of fellas like yourselves. I do not car too much for a full sport engine but something thats gonna be a fun project. If it ends up costing too much I will pull the cord on the engine swap and opt for another approach.

Cheers again

Very, very true you would have to change every system to some sort of stand alone operating system

I'm actually not at all surprised - I know the wheel speed sensors talk to the stereo and the wipers (which are normally pretty basic systems) without even getting near safety systems like airbags etc. The Germans put a hell of a lot of thinking into these cars and trying to outsmart them aint that easy!

Turbo e46 318i? Works for e30.