Sign in to follow this  
jjs

E36 keys

How do I find out what key my E36 requires? It is not practicable to take it to the dealer right now. Am after a basic key to use as a spare.

Its a 328i coupe, manufactured 10/95.

I'm hoping it will require a standard key, and not a chipped one!

Big J,

I was at work last friday shock horror on my day off and dropped in a picked up a few parts, also picked up a new key for a spare, I belive all 95 onwards E36's have a chip in it. How ever you can pick up a non chipped key blank for $24 then you have to get it laser cut which is $35 or so.

I think all M52 engined cars are OBDII so you need a key with the chip.

A non chipped key will get you into your car I *think* but wont start it. What does your key look like?

You are correct. If you need a functioning key it will have to be ordered through the stealers by chassis #

Those keys look gross, OEM only is best haha

I know, I seriously need to order me a new one!

My grubby, BMW shape 'Silca' just doesn't cut the mustard next to my nice, new BMW keyring! :P

Yea order one man, they are cheap as chips, espessially for E30. Hell when I took it to the lock smith the didnt even charge me for it haha

Did you just buy the blank?

I really need a brand new, laser cut one as mine is quite worn down and is starting to get stuck.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Eddy

Yeah I just bought a black from the dealer then took it to a key cutting place, not all places have a laser cutter though and costs about $35 to have it laser cut to spec

Yeah I just bought a black from the dealer then took it to a key cutting place, not all places have a laser cutter though and costs about $35 to have it laser cut to spec

I just orderd another key from TMM and it was mentioned that from feb 1995 on, the keys have 'chips', so big dollar item, I dont know if that date coincides with with the obII dates but there it is.

Bavarian supplied a new spare for the E36 318is for approx $240-$250(over 12mths ago).You young guys probably blow that amount on a night out with a few birds, so why worry.

Bavarian supplied a new spare for the E36 318is for approx $240-$250(over 12mths ago).You young guys probably blow that amount on a night out with a few birds, so why worry.

Thats a really good price for a chipped key!

Hmmm, maybe I will just be extra careful with my lone key....

Hmmm, maybe I will just be extra careful with my lone key....

Get a non-chipped one so if you do loose your master key you still have the key pattern to get a proper new one made off it and plus its good to have as a non-chipped key will still get you inside the car for if you lock your master one inside.

Edited by RJS

Found the invoice $213.48 + GST.....Key (with remote & coded).

They've gone up now $315 + GST and no trade discount on the prices now

They've gone up now $315 + GST and no trade discount on the prices now

I have an E36 328i production date 10.95. Is $315 + GST the only option? I.e., is there no cheaper option without a remote?

I have an E36 328i production date 10.95. Is $315 + GST the only option? I.e., is there no cheaper option without a remote?

Yes...Standard key (with chip) coded to vehicle X Germany $171 + GST