Sign in to follow this  
Apex

A Tourists Guide to Driving on New Zealand Roads

A few tourists have been complaining recently about New Zealand’s driving standards, so here’s the seasoned travellers’ guide to driving safely here.

Locals might like to take a few notes too, though we can’t test you later.

Before you venture out on New Zealand’s uncrowded, wide open roads, it’s worth noting a few facts. Firstly, despite only having something like a twentieth of your population using a similarly-sized land mass to Britain’s or Italy’s, our annual road toll is abominable.

Causes and symptoms of this malaise are many and most visiting drivers will find they’ll need to drive not only for the conditions at the time, but also to compensate for the drivers around them.

INDICATORS

Don’t take indicators on face value. These are still a novelty in New Zealand, used erratically at best, but mostly not at all. Try to understand that when someone is indicating it’s as likely to be a mistake, or a fib, as a signal of their real intentions. Also, at roundabouts there are thousands of Kiwis who think driving straight ahead is a right-hand turn and they’ll indicate to prove it.

There is a three-second rule attached to indicator use here, but most flick the stalk at exactly the same time as the wheel is turned to save effort, so you get more like three nanoseconds’ warning of manoeuvres.

RIGHT-HAND TURNING RULE

At intersections, this unique-to-New Zealand idea means that right-hand turners turning opposite left-hand turners have right of way, unless the left-hand turner has an extra carriageway into which they can drive. Unfortunately many right-hand turners - if you can recognise them without the tell-tale blinker, that is - forget about the second bit, and get upset even if you think that nice lane is yours for the taking. So best not to try second-guessing at intersections.

TRAFFIC LIGHTS

While the accepted international rule of stopping at red lights does apply here, the Kiwi driver’s loose interpretation appears to add the proviso: ‘if you want to’. Piles of broken glass at intersections commonly show the result of early leavers literally dovetailing with late arrivers, so beware and take your time at the lights.

LANE DISCIPLINE

For some reason, when offered two lanes in which to stop at intersections, Kiwi drivers will always opt for the right-hand one, even it it is already fully occupied and the left lane is empty. Don’t think you’ll steal a march on them when the light changes, as when the lanes merge, you won’t be allowed to do so by people who are, in their minds, ‘already there.’

On the Motorway it has become a habit to occupy the right-hand or overtaking lane ad inifinitum to the extent that New Zealand had to establish a law allowing legal overtaking on the left - a no-no in Britain, of course.

Overtaking lanes are signposted up and down most of both islands, but don’t expect them to make it too easy for you as that same lumbering 83kmh SUV you’ve been sat behind for dozens of kilometres will suddenly come to life and sprint to 109kmh at exactly the moment you indicate right to overtake. And don’t think that merely accelerating will help either, for at the end of the manoeuvre, sod’s law will provide a radar gun and a hefty fine.

SPEED CAMERAS

As long as you understand that New Zealand cameras are mostly mobile and unmarked, you’ll realise they’re designed to catch people rather than slow them down. That’s unlike the stationary cameras you’re used to, which are well advertised and relatively easy to spot and react to. Your car-hire company will provide information so that your speeding fines will reach you at home months after you’ve returned, so keep your eyes skinned for strangely parked vans and station wagons - they may well be camera vehicles.

Should have a section just for Campervans. Some of the most inconsiderate drivers on the roads.

Edited by antony

Should have a section just for Campervans. Some of the most inconsiderate drivers on the roads.

Make that campervan for motorway, taxi for in-town.

Thank you thank you thank you, someone had to say it!!!!

and omFg what the hell are bus drivers thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most drivers in NZ are also incapable of 'merging like the teeth on a zip' on onramps and at the end of motorways... so much for being considerate!

- most noticeable during snail-pace traffic jams, when you see the smug looks of drivers now in front, leading the rebellion (like their life depended on it).

NZ driving sucks. the roads are great, but the other drivers and local law ruin it!

Most drivers in NZ are also incapable of 'merging like the teeth on a zip' on onramps and at the end of motorways... so much for being considerate!

So true. One old prick was so intent on blocking me out rather than letting me merge with the main motorway traffic that I purposely drove like a prick to merge in front of him, then came to a complete stop and let about 15 vehicles in front of us. He got on the horn and looked like his head was about to explode - further down the motorway when the traffic freed up I got about 4mins of thumbs up and waving from those I let in as I went past them. Loser.

I think everyone (including me) is guilty of small driving "msidemeanours/discourtesies" but have to agree that overall everyone EXCEPT me sucks at driving.

I hope no one on here felt guilty while reading that haha

I did, I am guilty of the late indicating and have a vague recollection of intersection and roundabout rules.

I went to the road code and refreshed my memory of the rules last night.

I suppose as a nation we are quite relaxed drivers.

and omFg what the hell are bus drivers thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this happend in Hamilton on monday nice parking son,

post-2550-1220561846_thumb.jpg

this happend in Hamilton on monday nice parking son,

post-2550-1220561846_thumb.jpg

Yea I saw that, partly the reason why I said what I said. The bus driver wasnt completely at fault here but I can almost guarantee he was going to fast through that roundabout, they normally dont slow down for it!!

I find it pretty scary to navigate that area on a bmx bike every morning and night :blink:

Guest Simon*

I think everyone (including me) is guilty of small driving "msidemeanours/discourtesies" but have to agree that overall everyone EXCEPT me sucks at driving.

Same sentiment except I think you'll find that it's ME actually Graham ;)

I treat everyone one else on the road as a complete moron capable of anything stupid at any time

If that list wasn't so true it would be really funny!

All countries have bad or inconsiderate drivers, I guess in NZ it's just the high percentage. Coupled with a lack of two-lane roads where you can easily overtake.

I am surprised no-one has mentioned those "knights of the road" the truckies? Whose give way rule seems to be "you only give way to things bigger than you, or at a push things big enough to cause you damage"

In the short time that I have been in NZ I have had so slam the brakes on, both in my cars and on my push-bike, to avoid trucks that have just pulled straight out in front of me, or failed to give way, purely because they were bigger than me. Absolute wankers of the biggest kind. :angry:

Rant over!

Yea I saw that, partly the reason why I said what I said. The bus driver wasnt completely at fault here but I can almost guarantee he was going to fast through that roundabout, they normally dont slow down for it!!

I find it pretty scary to navigate that area on a bmx bike every morning and night :blink:

He wasnt at fault, he got hit by a van. Which brings me to my point. Courier drivers get away with some of the worst driving i have ever seen.

If that list wasn't so true it would be really funny!

All countries have bad or inconsiderate drivers, I guess in NZ it's just the high percentage. Coupled with a lack of two-lane roads where you can easily overtake.

I am surprised no-one has mentioned those "knights of the road" the truckies? Whose give way rule seems to be "you only give way to things bigger than you, or at a push things big enough to cause you damage"

In the short time that I have been in NZ I have had so slam the brakes on, both in my cars and on my push-bike, to avoid trucks that have just pulled straight out in front of me, or failed to give way, purely because they were bigger than me. Absolute wankers of the biggest kind. :angry:

Rant over!

I once saw a truck driver who had no way through go for it and take the tail light out on some ladies car. She should have moved over more was his excuse.

Saw bus make a right hand turn in front of a van on an 80kph zone, van locked up the brakes and made a nice indent on the side of the bus.

You missed my favourite - something you often find in smaller towns and cities mainly in rush hours...

Purposefully cueing over a round-a-bout Gad I hate that!

This is all too true. The one that annoys me the most in NZ is peoples take on indicators.

If your in the left turning lane I assume your turning left, however what f**king help is it putting the left indicator on when you get into the lane, why not use before this time!

There is a three-second rule attached to indicator use here, but most flick the stalk at exactly the same time as the wheel is turned to save effort, so you get more like three nanoseconds’ warning of manoeuvres.

OK, so a Parcelpost van did this as I was passing him on the passing lane going up the hill from Waiwera on the way down to aux tonight. I indicated right well before the passing lane, and was abreast of him when he decided he too would pull out to pass. Luckily there was a gap in the oncoming traffic and I just third-laned around him.

-10 points for indicating for 0.3 nano-seconds, -10 points for using rear-view mirror to see e30 looming behind, and -10 points for not checking blindspot before pulling right. Don't know how he didn't know I was there - redlining in 2nd - should have deafened him.

Edited by bravo