Sign in to follow this  
bmpower

E30 cambelt change

Firstly the car

1986 Nz New E30 M20 325i Manual 238km, last 7 digits of chassis: 0901527

The question

I have to change the power steering belt for a wof, but i want to change all other belts in the process inc cambelt (preventative maintenance). I want to use oem belts (any advantage?) which i will buy then get someone to install. Can someone with a bit more knowledge tell me exactly what parts/belts/tensioners i would need? The car has A/C also.

Thanks.

Edited by bmpower

if you are getting someone to install the belts just get them to get the belts for you if they are a bmw mechanic they will get an OEM cambelt and the other belts it doesn't really matter, you won't get them any cheaper by purchasing them seperately.

fan belt and power steering belt and aircon belt are all outside the cam case and are relatively straight forward to change, only really need to change them if they appear to be worn and tired, you can tell by looking at them.

Think: If a pwr steering belt breaks or an aircon belt breaks, no big deal, if your fan belt breaks and you don't notice your water temperature going up when you are sitting at traffic lights then it could be a problem.

Cam belt should be changed minimum every 100 K's for as you say, preventative maintenance.

hope that helps

Fan belt (drives alt and waterpump also), Air con belt, Power steer belt.

Cambelt and tensioner.

Often pays to change waterpump at the same time as cambelt as you have to remove the cambelt to remove the waterpump.

Only buy a reputable brand cambelt (OEM, Gates, QH, Febi Bilstein etc), and you won't go wrong.

Cam belt should be changed minimum every 100 K's for as you say, preventative maintenance.

hope that helps

Cambelt replacement is 60,000km for a M20 & 40,000km for a M40

whoops meant to say 50. But your even more accurate, cheers Glenn

Even more reason to do it now then! Thanks Glen. Just out of interest what would be your cost for the following parts, oem or decent brand as bravo suggested.

Fan Belt

A/C Belt

P/S Belt

Cam Belt

Tensioner

Water Pump

Thanks.

this should be interesting as my wagon hasn't had a belt change in the last 8 years - getting it done in the next couple of days...will put me an ease when its done.

this should be interesting as my wagon hasn't had a belt change in the last 8 years - getting it done in the next couple of days...will put me an ease when its done.

Yea thats probably a good idea - and part of the reason i am getting mine done. I have no idea when it was last done, and at least i'll know everything has been done then replace accordingly in the future...

Also i want to get the car on the track in the next month to see how she goes and i don't want a 'BANG' half way through!!