Sign in to follow this  
normsmith

Is it a real mission changing the factory stereo in an E90?

keep the head deck and upgrade everything else.

You dont really wnat to spoil the interior looks and not having steering wheel controls.

keep the head deck and upgrade everything else.

You dont really wnat to spoil the interior looks and not having steering wheel controls.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The stereo itself is not bad. I just wish I could stick my music on a USB drive and somehow plug it into the head unit.

got an Ipod?

Get a denison icelink and you'll be able to control it from the headunit/steering controls

Yeah, I heard about the icelink. It' s an option I am considering except it is very pricey. Maybe if I get that big Christmas bonus ...

SSIA

Thanks

Be aware the stereo uses a fibre-optic digital databus to transfer all audio from the radio tuner (in the C pillar) to the controller (in the dash) and then to the amplifier.

Nothing aftermarket will interface to the MOST databus of the existing system.

If you want a USB interface, add a USB reader. Google for it. There are some around for cars that emulate the CD changer.

Yeah, I heard about the icelink. It' s an option I am considering except it is very pricey. Maybe if I get that big Christmas bonus ...

Surely nowhere near as pricey as replacing the stereo? I thought you could pick up iPod connectivity for a couple of hundred $?

Surely nowhere near as pricey as replacing the stereo? I thought you could pick up iPod connectivity for a couple of hundred $?

I think it's more like 1500.

Do you run a stacker?? You can input your iPod via the stacker port. I sore it on a US forum somewhere.. Try calling BMW they sell the parts.

You brought a premium car so upgrading/modifying things normally cost a bit.

I know with my Old Astra Blaupunkt head decks communicated with the cars OBC and retained all steering wheel and display functions.

PS: Im sure BMW have an I-Pod integration kit, price one up as I want one for mine.

Edited by Apex

Yeah, I know what you mean. The stereo itself is not bad. I just wish I could stick my music on a USB drive and somehow plug it into the head unit.

What's wrong with:

E90 320i RETROFIT KIT USB/IPOD CONNECTION

FITS APPLE IPOD FROM GENERATION 4 ON, USB STICKS, USB MP3 PLAYERS AND USB MEMORY CARDS. DISPLAYS ARTISTS, ALBUMS AND TITLES IN RADIO DISPLAY.

FOR VEHICLES WITH

NAVIGATION SYSTEM, PROFESSIONAL = NO

AND

NAVIGATION SYSTEM BUSINESS = NO

AND

RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL = NO

AND

ON-BOARD MONITOR WITH TV = NO

01 RETROFIT KIT USB/IPOD INTERFACE 65410427467

See EBA 0428691, EBA 0428696

Full pictures etc see here:

RealOEM page for E90 iPod and USB Interface

For E60 iPod retrofit costs around $600

Aux in around $400.

Those include software updates.

Do you run a stacker?? You can input your iPod via the stacker port. I sore it on a US forum somewhere.. Try calling BMW they sell the parts.

You brought a premium car so upgrading/modifying things normally cost a bit.

I know with my Old Astra Blaupunkt head decks communicated with the cars OBC and retained all steering wheel and display functions.

PS: Im sure BMW have an I-Pod integration kit, price one up as I want one for mine.

Yeah I got a CD stacker. I'll investigate this option a little more.

What's wrong with:

E90 320i RETROFIT KIT USB/IPOD CONNECTION

FITS APPLE IPOD FROM GENERATION 4 ON, USB STICKS, USB MP3 PLAYERS AND USB MEMORY CARDS. DISPLAYS ARTISTS, ALBUMS AND TITLES IN RADIO DISPLAY.

FOR VEHICLES WITH

NAVIGATION SYSTEM, PROFESSIONAL = NO

AND

NAVIGATION SYSTEM BUSINESS = NO

AND

RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL = NO

AND

ON-BOARD MONITOR WITH TV = NO

01 RETROFIT KIT USB/IPOD INTERFACE 65410427467

See EBA 0428691, EBA 0428696

Full pictures etc see here:

RealOEM page for E90 iPod and USB Interface

Now this is what I'm talking about. The question is though, how much does it cost and where do I get it from?

thats a bmw parts description....you can go to a bmwdealer with that link printed off AND YOUR CAR,or order from overseas,.... I would go through the dealer if you arent exactly sure what you are doing cos they will be responsible for getting it right...wouldnt they?

I have found REAL OEM part numbers don’t correspond 100% so just make sure they get it right.

Now this is what I'm talking about. The question is though, how much does it cost and where do I get it from?

BMW can supply it to you, as they are the manufacturer of the BMW vehicle and they carry the BMW spare parts and BMW retrofit kits for your BMW vehicle.

The best place to find out how much the BMW parts cost is to ask BMW themselves. they will know the answer.

The part will be ex germany. Usually if you catch the BMWNZ bi monthly shipping order youll have it in no more than 2 weeks. Unless its catagorised as a dangerous good in which you can add another 2 weeks on top of that. I dont think a retrofit is going to be a dangerous good however :)

If in NZ ring Keith at Jerry Claytons and tell him Josh sent you.

The part will be ex germany. Usually if you catch the BMWNZ bi monthly shipping order youll have it in no more than 2 weeks. Unless its catagorised as a dangerous good in which you can add another 2 weeks on top of that. I dont think a retrofit is going to be a dangerous good however :)

If in NZ ring Keith at Jerry Claytons and tell him Josh sent you.

One more thing: compare to USA-prices. USA is often much cheaper.