Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

540i auto owners

What sort of consumption do you get around town, not 50/50, just straight town?

As a reference, my current daily car probably does six 4km motorway runs a week, the rest is in Auckland CBD and surrounds.

Result is 16-17l/100km.

How does that compare with a 540i? E34/E39.

A friend had one (E39) that showed 20l/100km on the trip comp, was he particularly heavy footed? Please don't quote me manufacturers figures, or owners manuals, just real life.

I'm thinking of changing cars, don't want anything worse.

Cheers.

Edited by Palazzo

The old saying is a true as ever.....if you have to ask about the fuel consumption you cant afford it.

Seriously though, my 740 averaged 16.7mpg around town over the year and 30mpg on the motorway. But my 528 gets 20mpg around town and the same 30mpg on a run. Dont know the l/100km conversion sorry.

Do a search, this topic has been discussed time and time again and I seem to remember a thread that has lots of us with M60 and M62's discussing fuel consumption.

My point was, will it be worse? My current car is the same as your 740 in town and slightly better on a trip.

20l/100km sounds excessive, this would put me off. The same or better wouldn't.

That said, $150 fills do get annoying.

My point was, will it be worse? My current car is the same as your 740 in town and slightly better on a trip.

20l/100km sounds excessive, this would put me off. The same or better wouldn't.

That said, $150 fills do get annoying.

when i bought my 535 the obc said 17 l 100 k and i bought off a guy who lived in ponsonby and worked at tvnz...Although my car is a manual i honestly dont think a 540 would be any worse.It could be though if you always want to be first to the other side of the intersection

Our 540i is used as an around town hack, with a 7km each way commute, so its running cold in the mornings and has the Ngauranga Gorge uphill to contend with in the evenings.

It averages around 16 mpg on the OBC, which is about 1 mpg less than our 535i's used to do.

The 540i however kicks ass when on the trip, its gets well over 20mpg, something that our 535i manual would never do, and the 535iA would occassionaly do

Deb tells me she is getting about 10.3l/100km around town (mainly around Tamaki Drive) and it's a manual

Mine gives about 13-14l/100km when giving it the occasional blat. This is about 60hway/40town

the 39 540iT we had with my wife driving it around town and a short run to the country school was getting around about 13.5L per 100km .

i cant seam to get the 535i 5spd e34 under about 14.5L per 100km .

i have just filled the first tank in the e34 530i with the 4l engine trans diff etc in it .

got 512km from about 70L .

thats me pushing it around abit for about 200km then lent it to a mate who drove around town and did the sth to nth auckland comute etc .

so thats about 13.5L per 100km .

not much worse than the e36 325ci 5spd that i drive daily

Thanks for the replies, looks like no worse than 15l/100km is realistic? As per my original post, a friend was getting 20l/100km, must have a heavy foot.

Thanks for the replies, looks like no worse than 15l/100km is realistic? As per my original post, a friend was getting 20l/100km, must have a heavy foot.

I could almost guarantee that, unless he spends ALOT of time idling in traffic.

Totally depends on driving style.

My E39 with the V8 M62 motor used 11.0 L/100km on a trip Auckland to Rotorua and back

With lots of city driving I'd average around 15 to 18 L/100km, depending on the amount of stop-start traffic and how warm the motor was.

The M62TU uses less fuel then the M62

And if your fuel usage is higher than normal, it's time to replace the O2 sensors.

E39 540 auto

Christchurch town running, 98 BP

I tank up at about 330 - 350 k's but she still has about 8 - 10 litres left

Last fill the OBC showed about 16.2mpg (I'm old school) or 17.6litres/100 km

A long trip e.g. CHC/PIC/CHC returns about 27mpg