Sign in to follow this  
gc8r

BM Workshop... and the mystery VANOS diagnosis

I honestly really question these guys.

I had a little scrape with the kerb while parking the car and after that the fan seemed to hit something and make this noise.

Now worried as you would be I went to Guido at BM Workshop.

He tried to say my Vanos is bunged up and that it needs a new unit which usually costs 9 grand.

Anyway to cut a long story short, showed the problem to my M3 master M3 Guy and he told me he had the same problem and that the bottom cover under the fan must have been lodged up when I was parking the car and that the fan when ever I start it hits the cover for 4 seconds and then dies down.

I'm not trying to blame but these guys really puzzle me... I heard some good things about these guys and took the car in good faith but diagnosed something which was way off tangent.

Also M3 Guy had 300 dollars spent on diagnosis only for his mechanic friend who also deals with Euro Cars rip the under cover off and walah~ no more noise. Got the same "Oh sorry mate its the VANOS" diagnosis too.

Are these guys usually like this or have I got them on their bad day?

Edited by M3_Boy

They are human. Humans make mistakes. Cut them some slack and move on in life.

They are human. Humans make mistakes. Cut them some slack and move on in life.

But a misaligned fan cover mistaken for a VANOS issue requiring a $9000 rebuild?! Don't know about you, but if I later found out I spent 9 grand for no reason I wouldn't be cutting anyone some slack and "moving on in life".

Lesson to be learned here: ALWAYS get at least three opinions on a car's problems before letting someone fix it.

But a misaligned fan cover mistaken for a VANOS issue requiring a $9000 rebuild?! Don't know about you, but if I later found out I spent 9 grand for no reason I wouldn't be cutting anyone some slack and "moving on in life".

Lesson to be learned here: ALWAYS get at least three opinions on a car's problems before letting someone fix it.

Yeah I know humans make mistakes but I could have forked out another 9 grand for the car after my good old inspection two.

So if I did get them to put a vanos unit in that would be 10 grand already and having to spend that exorbitant amount of money on a car in two weeks is not what I call moving on with life :lol:

I could probably have snapped up a E30 325 Motorsport as a daily for that kind of money and still fix the fans and be happy with my M3 :P

Anyway not really having a huge go at them but as Gannet said when you are doing servicing or have problems with the car get a few more opinions on the problem before you commit.

Simple answer, go and see Glenn at Botany Motor Workz, he'll see you right, give you very good advice and he won't rip you off.

As said before...we are only human. And I doubt that the vanos unit would have been replaced if you had booked it in with them and given them a reasonable amount of time to do a proper diagnosis. Their standards are high, and most of us in the industry try to maintain high standards , however we can make mistakes. Its not always easy when you are busy and have things on your mind, and someone comes to the door expecting instant diagnosis or quick answers. And there is always two sides to a story.

Bottom line is...you didnt spend any money, its all sorted now, just move on, there is no one to blame.

Guido's a great guy and the workshop does quality work. I really dont like seeing these crucifiction threads.

Oooh Glenn I think you read this slightly biased :D

Im not trying to crucify them in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM :P

All I'm saying is, M3 Guy actually paid 300 dollars and nearly 6 hours of diagnosis without his M3 only to find out its the front bottom engine cover rubbing on the pulley of the powersteering pump.

As for me as well didnt pay but Guido was quite certain its Vanos in the short time he heard the car.

Not trying to say BM Workshop is that dodgy of a place, but getting two similar faults wrong and diagnosing it as a 9 grand vanos unit does tick me off ever so slightly.

All I'm saying is for other members to get some other opinions before commiting to any mechanic diagnosis thats all unless you have one that you really trust.

Also M3 Guy had 300 dollars spent on diagnosis only for his mechanic friend who also deals with Euro Cars rip the under cover off and walah~ no more noise. Got the same "Oh sorry mate its the VANOS" diagnosis too.

I'm not trying to blame but these guys really puzzle me... I heard some good things about these guys and took the car in good faith but diagnosed something which was way off tangent.

Are these guys usually like this or have I got them on their bad day?

Im not trying to crucify them in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM :P

As said before...we are only human. And I doubt that the vanos unit would have been replaced if you had booked it in with them and given them a reasonable amount of time to do a proper diagnosis. Their standards are high, and most of us in the industry try to maintain high standards , however we can make mistakes. Its not always easy when you are busy and have things on your mind, and someone comes to the door expecting instant diagnosis or quick answers. And there is always two sides to a story.

Guido's a great guy and the workshop does quality work. I really dont like seeing these crucifiction threads.

Glenn probably read it the same way I did.

If you booked it in with them as glenn said he would of found the same thing as your other mechanic

Good lesson learnt about these sort of threads BUT I will keep my biased thoughts about that workshop to myself :D

However, if youre going to go on with quotes you forgot to mention:

All I'm saying is, M3 Guy actually paid 300 dollars and nearly 6 hours of diagnosis without his M3 only to find out its the front bottom engine cover rubbing on the pulley of the powersteering pump.

Which basically stipulates another member here with a same model car went in, paid 300, 6 hours of getting the car diagnosed, only to get a quote saying 9 grand + labour.

So the issue of IF I booked it in I would have got a better diagnosis is quite frankly in my mind upto chance.

You can lock this thread if you wish admin :P

Simple answer, go and see Glenn at Botany Motor Workz, he'll see you right, give you very good advice and he won't rip you off.

I would actually hope that he never ever crosses my doorway Brian.

No one got "ripped off", there was no cost involved

Maybe a mistake was made ?? That can happen... I make them, as said before..."we are human"

However I find it quite immature to sit behind a computer on the internet and actually put someone down for something that hasnt yet occured.

The real facts of what was truly said and done has not been presented.

I'm just a little pissed off that a derogatory statement has been made about a very well respected person & company in the BMW field and Motor Industry. Especially when the person is a friend and business collegue

All of us in the Industry try and do the best we can for our customers and try do give the right advise and try and look after people.

End of rant :(

BTW.. why not post some more positivity... and for some....try building a few bridges and deal with your problems face to face with the people you may or may not have a problem with.

AND FOR GOD SAKE... MOVE ON

Edited by *Glenn*

I would actually hope that he never ever crosses my doorway Brian.

Dont worry I can't youre too far away anyway :P

But in all seriousness dont take it too personal Glenn, the thread was just to inform other members to take second or third opinions about servicing their BMW or any other car they might have EVEN if the mechanic is well respected in the industry.

And as I have said my biased opinions do show through on the posts but I'm not too fussed about it anymore and I actually have moved on. :D

NO bad feelings I would hope Glenn! ;)

Edited by M3_Boy

Everybody is happy here, glad it's all sorted.

Thread Closed