Sign in to follow this  
westy

Large km's on M3??

Simple question...

Is 260000 ks too high for an e36 m3 evo?? Even if it has a service history.

Any experience anybody?

Thoughts and opinions please.

Simple question...

Is 260000 ks too high for an e36 m3 evo?? Even if it has a service history.

Any experience anybody?

Thoughts and opinions please.

That's bloody high k's for a car that is no more than eleven years old, but then again price would be the determining factor on that car.

I would imagine that somewhere in the high teens is the asking price for it dependant on what the car is. ie 4 door, coupe or convertable.

BTW Westy, I was up north this weekend and met bravo. He tells me our cars are very similar so we must get together one day and compare rides.

BTW Westy, I was up north this weekend and met bravo. He tells me our cars are very similar so we must get together one day and compare rides.

Quite right Brian, they are very similar. Did you see Will while you were up there?

Price on the car seems to be under $15000.

Tis a coupe with slightly rough exterior.

[quote name='westy' post='198232'

Has the top end been rebuilt?

Edited by mr E34

Quite right Brian, they are very similar. Did you see Will while you were up there?

Tis a coupe with slightly rough exterior.

I went up there to go fishing and Graham was only a few ks from my sisters place and I called round yesterday morning before I came home. SFA fish, but a good run in the car though, but I didn't see any other bimmersporters.

[quote

Has the top end been rebuilt?

Not sure, I have to find out more about it. Unfortunatly its in Wellington which makes it a little more difficult. I would be impressed if an Evo could reach 260000 without at least a vanos rebuild ha.

Set of rings and hone / head / vanos and valve seats wouldnt be that bad to get done if you did get it.

With those k's and a rough exterior, you should be aiming closer to $10k. Would be very hard to off load when it clicks over 300,000kms

Its sort of an all or nothing problem with the engine. If its good, its good. If it has a problem, the car's possibly not worth fixing/rebuilding and used engines are very hard to find (and $$$).

I'm terrified mine will have a problem. Terrified by philosophical - I think mine's still a good enough car to get it fixed (exterior, interior and all running gear in good nick). Mine's done about half the km.

Why look at the car if it's done high k's & the price isn't cheap?How about an E34 M5, NZ new 1990, 3.6ltr, rugged engine, $18,000.(full history)

With rgds in general if you have a look at any local Evo M3's, the 3.2 has been known to spin

big end bearing shells,Vanos systems can rattle when cold (if still there when warm, problem) & leaky or noisy water pumps are also common & can be expensive.

I reckon it's all down to the treatment & servicing, seen too many guys hop into their M3 & thrash it when cold etc, some people have no idea.

Why look at the car if it's done high k's & the price isn't cheap?How about an E34 M5, NZ new 1990, 3.6ltr, rugged engine, $18,000.(full history)

With rgds in general if you have a look at any local Evo M3's, the 3.2 has been known to spin

big end bearing shells,Vanos systems can rattle when cold (if still there when warm, problem) & leaky or noisy water pumps are also common & can be expensive.

I reckon it's all down to the treatment & servicing, seen too many guys hop into their M3 & thrash it when cold etc, some people have no idea.

Hi Boris

What is a rugged engine?

Bruce

Hi Boris

What is a rugged engine?

Bruce

Hi Bruce, hows things? Rugged, you know, tough old thing, like us old guys!!

I think the old M engines were a bit more rugged & not as stressed.

Hows the race car going?

That car belongs to Laurences Dad (old skool bmw on this forum).

hey guys,

Yes this is dad's much loved M3!!

It drives exceptionally well for it's age & Km's as it has done most of the km's on long distance drives, not your stop/start around town driving.

I can tell you that dad has a pretty genuine reason for selling the M3.

Am happy to answer any questions about the car as I have driven it a lot.

Will be putting a thread up in the For Sale section too.

Laurence.

Hi Bruce, hows things? Rugged, you know, tough old thing, like us old guys!!

I think the old M engines were a bit more rugged & not as stressed.

Hows the race car going?

Alls well up here. Yes the S38 is a tough old thing. As I've said before the M5 is probably the most reliable car i have ever owned. With 240 kays it is still running like a rolex as you can attest. There are the usual E34 things that I'm sure you and Paul have had to address but really, give me an E34 any day. Loved the photo of your car and Pauls beast is a good one as well.

With a fresh engine, hot cam and ECU upgrade the race car is going well. Probaby slightly down on power compared to Paul and a couple of others but quick enough to set the class lap record 1.14.49 at Puke a couple of weeks ago. Not that I'm blowing my trumpet at all??????.

Cheers

Bruce