Sign in to follow this  
Venatus

Rear subframe problems

When you try and jack up the rear of the car under the crossmember, if you put the jackstand on the corssmember then let the jack down, the crossmember stays up and the body of the car just comes down while the crossmember rises up into the underside of the car....

Any idea whats wrong with it?

Thanks

I seriously don't get it - if the weight of the car is on the subframe (via the jack), and you put jack stands under the subframe as well, nothing should change (unless the subframe is broken).

The only thing I can think of is if you jack under the diff, and your diff bushing is good, then the car would jack up fine. If your subframe bushings at either end were bad, then jackstands under the subframe and releasing the jack under the diff might do what you say, but only a little bit.

Can you take pics?

Sure you aren't putting the axle stands and the half shafts?

bet he's got them under the trailing arms? ;)

hey, Im not retarded haha.

Ill take photos maybe friday, im busy all day tomorrow, so there probably wont be any light, but well see...

Its been like it for ages, I havent bothered asking about it though, it did make replacing the external fuel pump rather difficult with nowhere to really jackstand it at the back...

It used to be fine, but i noticed it wasnt about a week after the guy at mag and tire diff jacked it to replace the back tires

Edited by Ven

wierd.

maybe failed subframe bushings? will need pics to understand what you mean though

I always put my jack stands under the subframe mounts, not the subframe itself. That way there's no weight on th ebushes, and you shouldn't experience your problem.