Sign in to follow this  
petone

Ultimate Driving Machine?

I was wondering how some of the new bimmers like the E46 etc compared to the older ones like E30's, 2002's? Aside from obvbious differences like engines and gadgets and looks etc. How much of the actual handling/driving has chnaged over the past? Eg: is a E36 a big step up from a E30, or is there not much difference really?

I only driven a E30 so can't make any comparisions but some of you other guys must have driven a few bimmers-what your favourite?

I wouldn't really want to touch that with a 24' pole

The cars have gotten heavier although are supposedly safer

I've driven an E36 320, can't say I found it too much different from my E30 although I wreckon the cabin view from my car was a hell of alot more open.

As for the drive they felt the same although this was before I replaced all my suspension...

This is going to be really hard to answer i think .. .cause everything is going to be very subjective ... and you'd sort of need a very similar car of E30 and E36 and E46 to test it out ......

But i think it would be nice to know tho ...

Ultimate Driving machine = The CRX, but then i would say that now wouldnt I?

post-2-1093378360.jpg

I have two e30s an e36 and an e46.

e30s are "analogue". Everything feels more direct and bare, you feel the road thorough your ass. Also the handling is very predictable.

E36 is softer (not m), everything feels toned down as far as road and handling feedback.

E46 is quite similar to e36 just a bit tighter.

Note the e36 is on 17"s

Guest Spargo

The E30 is raw, and oversteers like a bastard, a real man's car.

The E36 has alot of understeer built into it's chassis, whish is light years ahead of the E30's trailing arms (multilink and McPherson struts) It is also more refined, and wont attempt to bin you backwards into a hedge should go get sidewyas round a roundabout.

The E46 is just so rediculousy comptetent its not funny. A step above the E36, but it had traits of the E30, suprisingly.

This is going to be really hard to answer i think .. .cause everything is going to be very subjective ...

haha that was kind of what i was hoping for, theres no real point to this. I just wanted to get people ideas on different bimmers. I know what you mean about E30 being "raw", i got manual steering so its even more so.

Well, I can tell you about the differences in handling between my E30 and numberous other makes...

At any rate, I find my car an abolute pleasure to drive, I kinda like the "raw" drive as you others say.

Personally I want to a feel an integral part of the handling, I don't want to feel like i'm driving with trainer wheels on in that some intelligence in the car will prevent me from pushing my car to it's limits, where's the fun in not being able to oversteer???

Guest Andrew

Personally I find the e30 the most involved driving experience.. a lot more honest if you will.

The e36 i've driven are rather sedate and while the handle well they still feel heavy.

The e46s i've drivin 323 (m package) and 330Ci blew me away .. you can go very quick with no effort.

hmmm i dunno i havent really drivien my e30 but i think it handles different form a e36

cos wen i was 14 i had driving lessons in a e36 (fully optioned might i add with 5-speed box) any way i think it handles different like as sam said e30 is more raw and e36 and more of a luxury type car

Edited by bimmer boy

hmmm i dunno i havent really drivien my e30 but i think it handles different form a e36

cos wen i was 14 i had driving lessons in a e36 (fully optioned might i add with 5-speed box) any way i think it handles different like as sam said e30 is more raw and e36 and more of a luxury type car

Could one be safe in assuming then that for a ride to feel luxurious you're going to have to sacrafice some sort of handling response?

Anyone here driven a merc? I have and I can honestly say they're set up to drive straight roads!!!

Guest Andrew

Could one be safe in assuming then that for a ride to feel luxurious you're going to have to sacrafice some sort of handling response?

Anyone here driven a merc? I have and I can honestly say they're set up to drive straight roads!!!

the mercs i've driven .. V12 600 and a couple of CLK and SLK thingees were pretty terrible.

e30's handel very very well when compared to e36's, its crisper, more edgy, even more so without the power steering. love to drive any with more power

yep driven my auntys big tank of a merc, it drove really well

The mercs that we drove were dog's .... before we brought the 7 series we had a look at some mercs and the guy at merc gave us a couple brand new ones to take for the weekend ... and i don't feel they are as comfortable as the bmw's ... they don't corner as well either ...

Overall i don't really like mercs ...

Ultimate Driving machine = The CRX, but then i would say that now wouldnt I?

Your house looks nice too.

On a more serious note, that car of yours is nice!!

I honestly don't believe that you posted that 37 South, I suspect someone else wrote that for you

Anyway, keeping to Topic, my boss has a E39 525 bmw and a 96 E280 merc, aswell as a toyota curren.

He drives the toyota curren the most, the merc the least, says the merc is the worst car he's ever bought for driving but as far as clients are concerned it's a nice luxurious car.

as for mercs.....my dads 96 SL320..a so called 'sporty' merc feels like a while..no bullshit it feels as soft as the holden.....but damn good for pimping...black convertible with 18's'....:D

however i do like the SL500 and above AMG's...ive heard good things...like hand of god

i have driving all sorts of e30's. 318 auto and 5pd, 320a, 325 5pd and auto

havnt driven anything else. im keen to try out other ones.

e28(sparkles) and e36(ians) esp

my favourite drive for share power would have to be the e46 330ci

z3s are fun cus they are jus so small

but the 2001 528i done out msport has to be the all round best drive i have eva had

but i love my e30 cus its mine

Am I the only one here who hasn't driven an E30?

I've tasted a few E36's from a 318 compact to 328 coupe. Also handful of E46's from 318 to 330. The Z3 was rubbish except for a decent gearbox, it handled like a wet fish & tiresome to drive on the open road.

E46 feels tigher, more composed & more agile than the E36 though haven't driven the M3 in either model. Also the interior of the E36 felt cheaper & more plastic than the E46, especially the steering wheel.

I find the suspension setup on my wheels pretty awesome, firm enough to hold up in the twisties but seems to swallow imperfections in the road. Comparing it to my 2000 Nissan 200SX it seems softer yet harder at the same time.

Bimmers kick ass. :thumb:

A few months ago I went overseas, but when I was standing in Wgtn Airport I realised I had forgotten my passport. Well I'm bloody glad I went to the airport in my 525 instead of my mums pos Mitsi Mirage cos I found out what that car could do on the sprint home.

Seriously no understeer, and sh*t loads of grip from the E34 round the south coast of Wellington. Never had to back off once, front end just stuck in there through the corners. Still aware of the size and mass though.

E30 in comparison feel more nimbler and, as mentioned, more raw, hard edged. Easier to get it loose too :mosh:

Edited by E30_318i

I honestly don't believe that you posted that 37 South, I suspect someone else wrote that for you

Anyway, keeping to Topic, my boss has a E39 525 bmw and a 96 E280 merc, aswell as a toyota curren.

He drives the toyota curren the most, the merc the least, says the merc is the worst car he's ever bought for driving but as far as clients are concerned it's a nice luxurious car.

well it wasnt me if thats what your saying.... andy would have proof if anyone of the mods played the dirty on it.

cheers south :D