Sign in to follow this  
groovy

Which model BMW to buy?

Hi all, New member and first post. :D

Never owned a BMW but always loved em. Recently my 97 nissan sentra has been playing up a lot and costing a lot to fix it up So i thought its probably a good time own a BMW finally.

So my budget is approx 15K. I am really keen on getting something like 2003 or later preferably 320i or 520i models.

What are the main differences between 5 series and 3 series? ( i really like the look of the 3 series though)

I had a look on trademe for the above price range and looked like it is possible.

My requirements are, good mileage and good options like cruise control and leather seats and so on.

Just wondering what are you suggestions on buying which series or model BMW?

Could you also let me know where else i can look for good deal BMW cars to buy? (like trademe and Turners auctions)

I live in auckland.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Edited by groovy

Test drive em and make up your own mind mate. Everyone has different tastes

My advice is buy NZ new with a full service history, if you want a decent NZ car with a higher spec for 15k you will have to look at older vehicles than 2003.

Get a 3 if you don’t need the extra space, they hold their value better and are often cheaper to fix.

My advice is buy NZ new with a full service history, if you want a decent NZ car with a higher spec for 15k you will have to look at older vehicles than 2003.

Get a 3 if you don’t need the extra space, they hold their value better and are often cheaper to fix.

Thank mate for the advice. will surely go for a drive this weekend to see how it feels. I was just asking to see what were the experiences other ppl have with their 3 series or 5 series car :)

I am not really looking for higher power car for sure, as because of the petrol prices these days. But a 320 or 323 sounds good to me.

Guest Simon*

Welcome

You're spoilt for choice at that price mate - you could probably get a very nice E46 3 series manual through Turners as they come up. Or a facelifted 5 series of similar vintage.

But yeah, do your homework on trademe around pricing and test drive and see what you like. It's a buyer's market you should be able to get a lot of car for that money.

Good luck

Welcome

You're spoilt for choice at that price mate - you could probably get a very nice E46 3 series manual through Turners as they come up. Or a facelifted 5 series of similar vintage.

But yeah, do your homework on trademe around pricing and test drive and see what you like. It's a buyer's market you should be able to get a lot of car for that money.

Good luck

Thanks simon. Ya i need to research a lot and keep an eye out for a good car.

Welcome to the forum

I might like to also add, that , don't buy a vehicle without a pre purchase inspection. By the dealer or an independent BMW repairer who works on these vehicles. Do not get a check from anyone else ( no names ).

We see too many HORROR stories because of unproffesional or inaccurate inspections.

Cheers

Glenn

Thank mate for the advice. will surely go for a drive this weekend to see how it feels. I was just asking to see what were the experiences other ppl have with their 3 series or 5 series car :)

I am not really looking for higher power car for sure, as because of the petrol prices these days. But a 320 or 323 sounds good to me.

I would recommend the 2001- 320i with the Valvetronic 2.2ltr over the -2001 323i with the 2.5 straight six.

Welcome to the forum

I might like to also add, that , don't buy a vehicle without a pre purchase inspection. By the dealer or an independent BMW repairer who works on these vehicles. Do not get a check from anyone else ( no names ).

We see too many HORROR stories because of unproffesional or inaccurate inspections.

Cheers

Glenn

Take the Bimmer that's potentially going to be yours to this fella - I took my e39 528i for a pre-check and i was suprised to see they noted one of the rear speakers not working.. now thats a thorough inspection lol

Welcome to the forum

Cheers

Glenn

Thanks, ill keep that in mind. I would surely get it checked though. Do you know any good inspection companies around in auckland? And approx how much would they charge?

I guess i need to ask for complete inspection report with the odometer and so on. correct?

I would recommend the 2001- 320i with the Valvetronic 2.2ltr over the -2001 323i with the 2.5 straight six.

+1, Great value for money for a late model car.

Guest Simon*

Thanks, ill keep that in mind. I would surely get it checked though. Do you know any good inspection companies around in auckland? And approx how much would they charge?

I guess i need to ask for complete inspection report with the odometer and so on. correct?

In Auckland you should take it to Glenn (above) - he owns Botany Motor Works, in surprise surprise, Botany :)

You'd struggle to find anyone more thorough or professional

Try this place called Botany Motor Worx..

Their location is on the Corner of Ormiston Road & Te Irirangi Drive, behind the BP petrol station.

As for price, ask Glenn - he'll do it for peanuts :)

hey thanks. I think i know where he is. I just work on Laidlaw way, which right around the corner of Ormnistion. Thanks guys. Will go have a chat with him sometime. Been a great help.

so what do you guys think about this car below?

trademe

Doesn't look too bad, but I have to ask the question why you'd pay $18k for that when you can get this for $1k less. Only downside would be higher kms. (Assuming of course that both cars are in equally good condition).

I wouldn't...... to many issues with oil & water leaks and much harder to do than the 6 cylinder... which incurs more costs for the owners.

It is sitting in Singapore - personally I would avoid it

I bought a car from the same guy, owned my 525i for about 5-6 months now, have not had a single problem with it, on the other hand - I purchased my previous Mercedes from Turners which turned out to be an absolute nightmare (and I DID get it checked before I bought it)

So it just goes to show that not every single car from Singapore is bad! All of these cars by Jerry Clayton have extensive service history and he seems to hand pick them himself, from the BMW I got, and the Lexus I checked out the other day - his cars are really, really good!

I don't think he's interested in the extra power of the 330i, so for mine the other one is a much nicer looking car inside and out.

Moose

I wouldn't...... to many issues with oil & water leaks and much harder to do than the 6 cylinder... which incurs more costs for the owners.

Are you serious? If a 2001- car with moderate KMâ€S is leaking oil and water already I would avoid the whole brand!! That’s discussing poor build quality right there. I have a 25 year old car that leaks neither and could be purchased for $500 :huh:

Doesn't look too bad, but I have to ask the question why you'd pay $18k for that when you can get this for $1k less. Only downside would be higher kms. (Assuming of course that both cars are in equally good condition).

I agree, it looks way nicer than the car i showed. But its also higher power and not including features such as button on steering control, no leather seats. I generally think that the older the car is (depending on how its maintained) the more problems it would have because of wear and tear and also less resale value. Dont you think?

So thats the reason i would go for, less mileage and newer car, so assuming it would have less problems.

Turners cars arent all bad. I guess its also luck :). Because i bought a toyota vista 1995 for 5.5k at turners and its brilliant. Hardly had any problems and it just keeps going. I get about 600+ of mileage on a full tank of 50ltrs.

Are you serious? If a 2001- car with moderate KM”S is leaking oil and water already I would avoid the whole brand!! That’s discussing poor build quality right there. I have a 25 year old car that leaks neither and could be purchased for $500 :huh:

Yes I am serious

Rocker cover oil leaks= new rocker cover

Vacuum pumps for brakes= oil leaks

Water pumps

Rear cylinder water housings

Power steering pumps

Sump gaskets

Thermostat housings

We just did one 2002 done 80km ( Import )

They are very good for business

Personaly I dont like the Valvetronic motors, however they do keep us busy

Another example. Replace the crankshaft position sensor

E46 6 cylinder = 1 Hr labour

E 46 Valvetronic = 4-5 hrs. You need to remove the plastic inlet manifold and keep your fingers crossed that nothing else breaks. Have a close look at one. They are not easy to work on...everything takes time. A bit like cheese :lol:

Its all about recycled plastic and its all crap...only lasts for 5 or 6 years if you are lucky

Very Interesting Glenn, Always good to have input from someone who fixes them. Tells the true story about how good a car is.

Edit (Spelling)

Edited by braeden.

Very Interesting Glenn, Always good to have input from someone who fixes them. Tells the true story about how good a car is.

Edit (Spelling)

I agree. Very helpful information especially for people who are looking to buy a car along that year :)

I will definately try and avoid the valvetronic engines now. Thanks again Glenn.

Edit (Spelling)

Dont get me wrong...they are fine cars to drive & economical

Maintenance is just higher on the high mileage cars or cars over 5-6 yrs of age. Higher on the imports too unfortunately

Personaly I'd go for an E46 M43 engine for economy or 328 Ci/ 330Ci if I didnt give a sh*t. Driven correctly the larger 6's give good fuel economy and youve got the grunt when you do need it. Ask other members