Sign in to follow this  
groovy

Which model BMW to buy?

I agree. Very helpful information especially for people who are looking to buy a car along that year :)

I will definately try and avoid the valvetronic engines now. Thanks again Glenn.

Feel free to give me a call....or call in

I see your point about engine size - I personally would see that as a plus, but if you are fuel concsious I see why you might want to go for a smaller engine - just remember that fuel economy has more to do with driving style and where you will be driving than engine size, and a larger engine driven lightly can sometimes produce better economy than a smaller engine being worked to keep up.

I wouldn't base your decision on the year of the car - it is far more important to look at kms travelled, previous usage history, condition, and service history.

I had a look - there are a lot of very nice looking -low kms, nz-new 320i's for a fair bit less. Only they are year 2000 and 2001.

Was interesting a couple of weeks ago on Top Gear

A hybrid Toyota Prius being followed by the latest M3 V8 at the same speed on the track. The prius did 18 mpg The M3 did 19 mpg..... go figure that one

Edited by *Glenn*

Was interesting a couple of weeks ago on Top Gear

A hybrid Toyota Prius being followed by the latest M3 V8 at the same speed on the track. The prius did 18 mpg The M3 did 19 mpg..... go figure that one

Yeah, but the Prius was being driven flat out... the M3 had to just dawdle behind to keep up!

Feel free to give me a call....or call in

Thanks for the offer Glenn. Will pop in sometime to have a chat, when i find something.

By the way what is the E46 M43. I could not find it in the designation page. Is it the 318i model?

Thanks for the offer Glenn. Will pop in sometime to have a chat, when i find something.

By the way what is the E46 M43. I could not find it in the designation page. Is it the 318i model?

Yes. 318 I with the M43 motor

Its all about recycled plastic and its all crap...only lasts for 5 or 6 years if you are lucky

I have mentioned this many times, you go to pull something apart to get to the faulty bits & all the crap plastic breaks around you.Garbage on an expensive car.

BMW (a supposed luxury car maker) hasn't mastered designing things that dont leak FLUIDS???

People, wake up & complain to the dealers, just because the engine is smooth/powerful you put up with it, the PC world has invaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: which BMW to buy?? Might pay to get a Lexus.

edit (bravo): quote tags fixed.

Edited by bravo

Dont get me wrong...they are fine cars to drive & economical

Maintenance is just higher on the high mileage cars or cars over 5-6 yrs of age. Higher on the imports too unfortunately

Personaly I'd go for an E46 M43 engine for economy or 328 Ci/ 330Ci if I didnt give a sh*t. Driven correctly the larger 6's give good fuel economy and youve got the grunt when you do need it. Ask other members

I agree with Glenn, the larger engines tend to be quite economical, especially on hills. :D That said I am still mightily impressed by the economy that another member said he was getting from his 120d (makes mine look like an american gas guzzler).

E46s are pretty heavy cars, I personally found the E36 320 slightly underpowered for its weight and would assume its the same for the E46s.

All in all I would definately recommend going around a few car yards and having test drives before making your mind up, it's a very individual choice.

3 & 5s are pretty similar spec wise (around those years) just that the 5 has a bit more interior space. For $15k you should be able to pick up exactly what you are looking for. Just make sure it meets your "wishlist", in terms of specifications (M Sport, leather seats, multi function steering wheel etc...).

Happy hunting.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by wild_weston

Are you serious? If a 2001- car with moderate KMâ€S is leaking oil and water already I would avoid the whole brand!! That’s discussing poor build quality right there. I have a 25 year old car that leaks neither and could be purchased for $500 :huh:

yes, but you also have to factor in how the car's been treated.