Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

E30 clutch kit

hey guys i went to look at a old roughed up 325i E30 in need of some TLC, didn't get to drive it because the clutch had magicly stopped working :rolleyes: so im trying to get some quotes on a full E30 manual clutch kit, just OEM spec is fine,

soooo whats everyone payed and where'd they get it from??

cheers in advance :D:D

the clutch had magicly stopped working

Make sure its the clutch not the master or slave cylinders.

You could try Gavin at EuroItalian - one of the forum sponsors.

Edited by CamB

put clutch in and try put into first and the car would rock forward slightly but couldnt get into gear, old man reckoned it was clutch so we'll start with the more expensive item, master or slave cylinders cant be all that expensive to replace

sounds like its a pressure problem(fluid),start the car run for a few minutes,switch off-select 1st gear(make sure u have space to drive)the car should takeoff when u crank-if the clutch is good, gears can be changed at about 3500rpm (without pedal),if the clutch plate is worn the car wont move.

when i go back we'll give it a go, the guy ended up crunching the gears which was making me cringe so i said nah nah just leave it. we got it into reverse at one stage and it kangaroo jumped and stalled pretty much instantly

that should suggest it's not the clutch, seems like master or slave cyls may be bypassing and need replacing or rekitting.That would be lucky as it's easier.

Edited by Silver Fox

possibly some good news then, will have to inspect further, ill still be bargining on the clutch, even if its not that it will still need alot of work <_<

How did the pedal feel? Any presure at all or light as? I'd put money on it being the master / slave cylinder or air in the lines.

i didnt even get a chance, and i was the one buying! lol it looked effortless so from whats been said here im going back to check the master and slave cylinder if i can,

whats the price on reconditioning/replacement if these are totally stuffed?

cheers for all the replies guys!

I got one (can't remember which, think it was the master) from Gavin at Euro Italia for about $140 from memory. A word of warning, I had 2 from Auto Stop first and they both failed on being installed, a faulty batch I suspect.

i didnt even get a chance, and i was the one buying! lol it looked effortless so from whats been said here im going back to check the master and slave cylinder if i can,

whats the price on reconditioning/replacement if these are totally stuffed?

cheers for all the replies guys!

I think master cylinder is around $90 and slave is around $40. I have to replace them on my old e30. Not a hard job if you know what you are doing and dont get pissed off while trying to get the master cylinder out ( on pedal box )

It sounds as if the clutch is engaged fine. If the clutch was at fault it would be slipping. And if the clutch was stuck engaged ( is this possible on dry clutchs? ) then i think the pedal would be really really hard to push in.

Pedal Pressue shouldn't feel too light on an E30

I would describe it as good medium feel to a good clutch ( solid but not too firm )

Try bleeding it ? perhaps

I had a master cylinder fail on me while driving and after it failed i could not engage the clutch at all

There was some pedal pressure but that pressure was only forcing fluid out of the resivour

Even if you are going to replace the clutch disc and pressure plate, getting the masters & slave done is a good idea anyway as the cars are old and its really horrendous to get stuck in the middle of nowhere without a clutch.

(been there done that, think starting the car in 2nd and to change into 3rd having to let the revs drop and very carefully change gear with no clutch )

If you do try and bleed the existing or new master/slave it can take a while for it bleed up.

The old man rang me the other day with the exact same problem.

The car had been sitting for a couple of months.

I suspected the clutch was just binding on the flywheel. (had good clutch pressure - every thing seemed normal, but clutch wouldn't disengage).

Turned the car off. Selected second. Started car in gear carefully and drove off. Got up to a reasonable pace in a nearby paddock and put my foot on the clutch maintained revs and ripped up the handbrake. Fixed. (Gearbox and clutch stopped turning as rear wheels locked, but motor was still going so broke the "seal"). Never had a problem since. Might not be your problem but would be a cheap fix if it was.

Offer him feck-all for the car and try it. Watch his face drop if it works lol.

havnt re checked the car but im picking it up tomorrow, got it for $600...needs some rust removed etc..lots of TLC pretty much... gonna be a slow project :rolleyes:

thanks for all the suggestions and ideas and if anymore pop up throw them up here!!

cheers Andrew

you can re-con the hydraulic cylinders easy enough if you want to save even more, same result as new ones.