Sign in to follow this  
*RJ*

E36 320i Questions

yeah, I had a similar experience - have you got a mechanical warranty? that sh*t gets EXPENSIVE!!!

I was driving at (not going to say actual speed - going fooking hard at any rate) when there was a big bang... My lights dimmed, I lost power steering and the car started to pull left. hard. By the time I came to a stop, it was overheating... I didnt know what i had done, but i was shitting myself!

What had happened was that one of my fan belt idlers had let go, and everything it hit on its way out, it f**ked... So that was my alternator, radiator, powersteering was hurt in someway, and there were a few other things... It cost my warranty company about 2g, and me $200 (new antifreeze and the 2 belts i had to replace - gotta love the no excess warranties a!!).

I got it back on a friday afternoon, then the following day my mates and I booked out the little circuit track near hastings for a bit of a thrashing... I was out there in my first lap when all of a sudden BANG! i thought it had dropped the idler again, but when I came in I had blown the fan apart - it hadnt been put back on properly when they repaired the rest... So i took my car to my regular mechanic (who hadnt done the first repair - they were closed when I tried getting hold of them initally). They took it apart, and told me that the "viscous fan" hadnt been torsioned properly (or somthing like that) and that had caused it to blow. A new fan (warranty paying, Ill take brand new genuine parts please!!) cost $800 and was about $300 to install - i paid for nothing!!!

Moral... Got a mechanical warranty? You might want one man!!!

Hey M3AN I saw you in Newmarket on Saturday, very sexy car you've got yourself.

Had my mechanic mate over tonight and he's checked the waterpump, we're not going to do it at the moment but it's on the to do list.

Thanks for your help guys. New belt $60, tentioner $175, fan $65... Ahh fun times. Just delays lowering, tinting and sounds another week....

Well an interesting thing happened tonight - my fan shattered!!  Talk about random.  It's been making a little squeak recently when starting it up and tonight BANG instantly when I started it up.

Mechanic mate said tentioner is too loose and it needs a new belt, and obviously a new fan - anyone had a similar experience?

Check your water pump too. It may have been this that caused it.

Either way, when replacing the fan, replace the water pump. Early e36's come with pumps with plastic impellers and they're prone to disintegrating... :(

Well unfortunately I didn't listen to M3AN and I replaced the fan belt and tentioner, plus found a new fan. That lasted 2 days until BANG!! It happened again, this time it pulled the hose off the resevoir bottle and I was left at Mobil Quay Street for quite some time removing the fan, filling up the water and limping it to my workshop. :banghead: So pissed off with myself/my car.

Still love the car but haven't had a lot of use out of it.

Alright mate, sounds daft but ive got a 92 320i and I wondered the same things so I phoned bevarian and they told me the snowflake button hold's the gears longer in the snow or whatever so your not spinning all the time and for going up hills.

And the button your talking about retracts your mirrors (electric mirror button)

:beer:

Cheers for that pommy. I knew about the snowflake, but the mirror button makes sense, I actually wished the car had one of them :P

Mechanic still doesn't know what caused the fan to shatter (twice) I now have a new radiator and new fan *mk3* and am hoping it's not going to pop the radiator hose off again.

It only happens at high revs when I really step on it so I'm rather aprehensive at testing out the work that's just been done.

Has anyone had an experience like this?