Sign in to follow this  
*RJ*

E36 320i Questions

Hey guys, I just bought a tidy 1991 320i E36 (pics below).

Just got a few questions... It's the 6cylinder auto model and it's got sport/econo/snowflake - what is the snowflake?

There's a button behind the steering wheel on the right, the writing on the button has worn off and is surrounded in red - what is it?

And it's got the crazy computer but god knows how/what it does.

Do you guys have meets often or cruises? I was a member of NZHondas for a couple of years but got sick of the VTEC and wanted to go for a vehicle with some serious class - damn the BMW pulls the girls and I've only had it 3 nights.

Look forward to meeting some of you like minded guys. B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Haaa dont be talkin Rondas down round sic*, they are well phat cars- but Bimmers are the shizz- its the truth.

Would the red button be hazard lights? i fully have no idea bout the flake- i drive a manual e30 so yea. but could it be traction control?

Damn thats a nice lookin 320 dude- nice rims too!

cheer

nath

Welcome, nice clean ride dude,

I'm assuming stuff here so I'm probably wrong but I think the snowflake is to do with the aircon. The button by the steering wheel could be to do with lights, either fog lights or dimmer. I only got E30 as well so I'm just going off that. We have a meets, roughly every 2 months or so. (someone else feel free to correct me on that)

Edited by petone

Posted Image

nzhondas in the house.. nice bimmer, get a rota though :P

Those are the adrenaline look alike mags... they were a bit more expensive than the adrenalines when i brought it ... so i went el'cheapo and brought the adrenalines .. hahah

I think the snowflake mode takes off traction control ... and the other button i have no idea as i didn't have one in my E36 ... ask Napier_E36 he might know ..

maybe it's something that comes with jap imports ..

Those are the adrenaline look alike mags... they were a bit more expensive than the adrenalines when i brought it ... so i went el'cheapo and brought the adrenalines .. hahah

I think the snowflake mode takes off traction control ... and the other button i have no idea as i didn't have one in my E36 ... ask Napier_E36 he might know ..

maybe it's something that comes with jap imports ..

:lol: Why would you want to turn off traction control for driving in snow??? :lol:

I was driving around Switzerland in a Lexus IS300, the model with the steering wheel gear paddles, thinking all this snow driving was a piece of piss...until my uncle turned off the snowflake mode...hehehe, let's just say that traction control does have a handy use :wacko:

well because when i have been driving in the snow for the last week or so ... i'm not getting anywhere with traction control on .... the back makes this funny noise and the engine loses all power and the doesn't move at all ... until i turn traction control off ...

well because when i have been driving in the snow for the last week or so ... i'm not getting anywhere with traction control on .... the back makes this funny noise and the engine loses all power and the doesn't move at all ... until i turn traction control off ...

your shits ruined

Isnt it great people saying things they dont know anything about?

Snowflake is for winter driving. Doesnt change gears often and keeps it steady.

Drive it and see. (youll never need it)

Its like the Anti-sports mode.

Isnt it great people saying things they dont know anything about?

Yeah I love it!!

That snow flake is exactly as you said - it also changes gear before it redlines.... In my 325 it gets to about 4500 - 5000rpm then changes gear etc... I didnt even need it when I was playing in the snow - I was on this windy as road in sport mode GOING HARD!!! :lol: lots of fun!!!

As for the other switch, I dont think my 325 had it... But its definitly not hazard lights as someone said - that switch should be down just behind the transmission lever....

Thanks for the comments guys. Have had the car a week now and am loving it, know of a few things that need a look at - fan belt is starting to squeak a little bit so I'm thinking a nice tune up would be good for it.

Things to come are tints, and lowering springs - what would be the best option for the springs? I've found some Jamex for $350 20mm back, 45mm front drops - how's that sound? Better options?

The wheels also need a bit of a repair job so will do tyres/repair/balance/alignment once it's lowered. I'm going for a nice clean look not the 18" chromes, despringed with Altezza lights look.

Other things I want to do a nice sound install but not too sure about the speakers in the door and I want to get my hands on a German spec horn, the Jap spec is plain gay.

If what you say is true DNZ then that ain't traction control, the traction control i'm used to messes with the brakes on each individual wheel and messes with the power being applied and as it's doing it's sh*t it beeps at you just to let you know it's correcting you.

If you've ever had the opportunity to play with traction control on a snow or ice covered road you'd see it really does work it's magic.

QUOTE:nzhondas in the house.. nice bimmer, get a rota though

yo sic, what would you say if i hada E30 with a rotary in it? a bridgeport infact!

nzhondas in the house.. nice bimmer, get a rota though

yo sic, what would you say if i hada E30 with a rotary in it? a bridgeport infact!

i would say

get a r0t@!!

not just te engine!!1!

and make sure is Runs 89psi Vte@k its just another bolt on m0d y0!

nah, it seems to be a common thing to do to vans / bmws now, but props if you done it, you would have a mother funkin empty looking bay though!!

hope you get some kms out of it before BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

Downlow, Damien

Get back on topic, or I will have to give you a severe telling off :D .

Cheers

Downlow, Damien

Get back on topic, or I will have to give you a severe telling off :D .

Cheers

my bad.

/smaks hand

If what you say is true DNZ then that ain't traction control, the traction control i'm used to messes with the brakes on each individual wheel and messes with the power being applied and as it's doing it's sh*t it beeps at you just to let you know it's correcting you.

DNZ is spot on, the snowflake just affects the transmission & throttle response. It has the opposite effect of the sport mode, shifts up more quickly under acceleration, doesn't let you redline, more delayed throttle response.

Enjoy the ride & welcome to the crew. :thumb:

are they not E46 wheels?

Yeah I think they're off an E46. All 4 are curbed so I'm going to fix them up. Just deciding between fix/paint and fix/polish - price is a determining factor.

Yo like some of the boys have already mentioned the snowflake controls the throttle to the effect that its a real dumb version of traction control but not if you know what i mean. The idea is that it shouldnt let you go like a bat out of hell i.e. unlike sports where it sits in the gears longer (high revs) its meant to stop you from spinning it up in the snow so lower revs. I could be wrong about this cos ive never actully tried but i thought it was meant to stay only in certain gears.

That button behind, below and to the right of your steering wheel i believe is a power switch of some degree but ill have a look when i get back home, wasnt important so i cant remember.... im getting old

Those rims arent dedicated E46 but of course they can wear them, over the past 2years they have been the BM discounted wheel package. Re ferbs cost about $50 a wheel ... hope this helps. <_<

Well an interesting thing happened tonight - my fan shattered!! Talk about random. It's been making a little squeak recently when starting it up and tonight BANG instantly when I started it up.

Mechanic mate said tentioner is too loose and it needs a new belt, and obviously a new fan - anyone had a similar experience?