Sign in to follow this  
jom

E36 328 engine just stopped

So there I was waiting for the lights to change and the engine stopped. Tried to restart, I had dash lights but no cranking.

As I was at the front of the queue, some helpful people pushed it around the corner into a parking space. I tried it again - and it started!

I suspect that I need to threaten a relay with replacement...

Anybody know offhand what the problem is?

Details - 97 328i coupe, auto box, Imported.

Cheers

Jo

Sounds very much like a battery/power supply problem. You would need to get this checked professionally. If the power supply drops below 10 volts the engine can stop, as the ECU's in the vehicle need a minumum of 10 volts to operate. You could also have an ignition switch issue. Fault codes / live data should identify any issues.

Get someone in your area with a brain to check it for you. I'm sure someone on here could lead you in the right direction as far as a reputable repairer in your area.

dont the cam sensors cause this problem sometimes??

dont the cam sensors cause this problem sometimes??

Yes and so do crankshaft position sensors...... but he said it wouldnt crank over as well

Yes and so do crankshaft position sensors...... but he said it wouldnt crank over as well

Thanks for the replies, guys. I got it hooked up to diagnostics, and absolutely no fault found.

I did discover that when you're at the head of a queue of traffic that's honking at you it's difficult to remember to put it into park.....so that was the unable to crank problem solved (stupidity!)

Still don't know why it stopped though.

Jo

Thanks for the replies, guys. I got it hooked up to diagnostics, and absolutely no fault found.

I did discover that when you're at the head of a queue of traffic that's honking at you it's difficult to remember to put it into park.....so that was the unable to crank problem solved (stupidity!)

Still don't know why it stopped though.

Jo

Was it a BMW scan tool (GT1) ??? because some of the aftermarket scanners wont pick up camshaft & crankshaft sensor faults. The other thing too... did the guy have a brain and check live data as well ??

Was it a BMW scan tool (GT1) ??? because some of the aftermarket scanners wont pick up camshaft & crankshaft sensor faults. The other thing too... did the guy have a brain and check live data as well ??

Jeff Gray BMW. I sure hope they have a brain, if not there's a direct link from the diag tool to one in Germany.....