Sign in to follow this  
chrisvlok

e30 318i class car to open class e30 with 3.5 m30?

Hi all, thinking of putting an m30 3.5 in my e30 race car.

just wodering if anyones done it before and how the car handled afterwards and the amount of power it was puting down.

Thanks

google e30 m30 conversion, lots out there, even in good old NZ.

Why dont u put in an M50? They put out decent power and wiegh alot less than an M30. Or you could just put an m20 in it and stay in the E30 class... :D

I'd go with an m52b28 if I was you. ;)

Ohk, how much would i find one of them for? havent quite got the funds to do something over 2gish.

im only 16 so still at school with no steady money soo yea

Ohk, how much would i find one of them for? havent quite got the funds to do something over 2gish.

Sorry to say this ....BUT.....you wont do anything like that with a budget of $2,000

Sorry to say this ....BUT.....you wont do anything like that with a budget of $2,000

i agree not realy going to much for $2k

2.8 engines cost about $1-2k to buy .

you would get a M30 3.5 cheaper but trying to find a gearbox will be difficult and expensive .

lots of welding etc .

i think you could build up a 2.7 or 2.8 Litre M20 cheapish if you do all the engine build your self and but all second hand parts , but with new gasgets ,bearings and rings etc .

but then a remap of the ECU is going to set you back most of your budget

Maybe save some money for your future first, no money in cars dude.

Maybe save some money for your future first, no money in cars dude.

I disagree with this - there's only one chance to be young and do stupid things and I reckon people should take it.

I disagree with this - there's only one chance to be young and do stupid things and I reckon people should take it.

I reckon. Amount of money you can save while young (i assume your at school of some sort) is pretty irrelevant anyway. Just spend it on stupid sh*t and enjoy it. Going into debt is another matter though

As long as you're aware it will cost double or triple what you thought it would and that you'll get none of it back go for it.

ahah this topic has changed from engine conversion to life advice :P

you should buy a S50 honestly, i'm putting one in my dads car e30 :lol:

there not that expensive :rolleyes: i swear :P

As long as you're aware it will cost double or triple what you thought it would and that you'll get none of it back go for it.

I am very close to tripling my original budget :lol:

i was on budget .... maybe i was just not so optimistic when i drew up the budget ....

amortize your costs!! don't pretend that it will be cheap.

Haha thanks everyone for the life addvice!! Have been convinced by the local bimmer guys to go for the e30 class car as the resale value is more.

Can you guys give me a estimate price like it is now? just the suspension to go in.

Aprroved full cage, toyos, pagid pads, staight threw pipes, sabelt seat and 6 point harnes, corbeu rails, short shifter, omp wheel, log book etc....

post-2881-1225258993_thumb.jpg

post-2881-1225259021_thumb.jpg

If it's a 318 in a prefacelift, even a M40, it's not eligible for the E30 series in the north. This has been discussed here before.

Considering this, I'd guess you may get your costs back, but not much more, maybe?

hey just to clarify, i was told by the organizers that my M10 318i isn't eligible, even if i put a m20 in it, due to it being a lighter car or sumthing along those lines, cause i've got a m20 sitting here and it just dosent seem right as how would weight matter , as there is a minimum wight anyway.

hey just to clarify, i was told by the organizers that my M10 318i isn't eligible, even if i put a m20 in it, due to it being a lighter car or sumthing along those lines, cause i've got a m20 sitting here and it just dosent seem right as how would weight matter , as there is a minimum wight anyway.

Hello James,

I am not sure which "organiser" told you that, but that is not correct. You can fit an M20 into your car and go racing. The prefacelift bodyshells were all essentially identical and many of the race series cars did not start life as 320i's. It is only the 318i series cars which MUST be facelift cars, as the M40 was not fitted to pre facelift shells. . So although you cannot fit an M40 into your car and make it a 318i, an M20 is okay.

cheers Conrad

P.S. that S50 will be much more fun though!.............

Hello James,

I am not sure which "organiser" told you that, but that is not correct. You can fit an M20 into your car and go racing. The prefacelift bodyshells were all essentially identical and many of the race series cars did not start life as 320i's. It is only the 318i series cars which MUST be facelift cars, as the M40 was not fitted to pre facelift shells. . So although you cannot fit an M40 into your car and make it a 318i, an M20 is okay.

cheers Conrad

P.S. that S50 will be much more fun though!.............

oh, well my 318i is all setup to run in the series except for the engine , if i drop the 2L in i would be looking to sell right away so i could afford a 325i :).

does the m20 just go right in, as i would be looking to swap it these christmas holidays then sell the whole car

the s50 projects stalled as the s50 itself kinda ruined the whole budget :P wont have any money for that till start of next year

oh, well my 318i is all setup to run in the series except for the engine , if i drop the 2L in i would be looking to sell right away so i could afford a 325i :).

does the m20 just go right in, as i would be looking to swap it these christmas holidays then sell the whole car

the s50 projects stalled as the s50 itself kinda ruined the whole budget :P wont have any money for that till start of next year

Im not 100% cetain but i think they do. you will probably have to get new engine mounts and posibly the corect radiator.

Hope that helps :P