Sign in to follow this  
GLIDN

Your thought or input

How much would a genuine E30 318IS devalue if i was to replace it with M325/325is running gear and additional parts?

would the car be worth less after the transplant or would it still be worth around the same?

Your thoughts on this would be awesome,

Thanks

Edited by GLIDN

Less but thats just my opinion. If I was after a genuine 318is and see one thats been dicked around with I personally wouldnt touch it.

Guest Simon*

If I was after a genuine 318is and see one thats been dicked around with I personally wouldnt touch it.

+1

With only and handfull of genuine 318is' left you would be mad to mess with one. Like the others I wouldnt touch an 'is' if it had been messed about with.

With only and handfull of genuine 318is' left you would be mad to mess with one. Like the others I wouldnt touch an 'is' if it had been messed about with.

hmm i guessed as much, thought i would get peoples opinions that actually own these kind of cars.

What if the original 318IS gear was provided to the a potential purchaser?

Would the same still apply?

Nope, once youve messed with it its no longer of interest to me. Just my opinion of course and if you want to do it then go right ahead, but if you have the 325 running gear why no just stick it into a 318 shell or something. Why butcher a 318is to do it ?

yes. If you want a 325 with iS kit, buy a 325 and an iS kit.

Why wouldn't you just do the 325 transplant into a normal 318. Way cheaper to buy the car and you won't get as many, if any thinking WTF when you cut up one of the remaining 20 318is'.

Why wouldn't you just do the 325 transplant into a normal 318. Way cheaper to buy the car and you won't get as many, if any thinking WTF when you cut up one of the remaining 20 318is'.

good points every one has been raising.

I guess most focal point for me would be upgrading the brakes of the car.

But i guess if i dont like driving an 318is around and was after more go. So i'm more looking at long term.

good points every one has been raising.

I guess most focal point for me would be upgrading the brakes of the car.

But i guess if i dont like driving an 318is around and was after more go. So i'm more looking at long term.

How about doing this to a 318 instead?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433471

I'm sure this has been posted here in the past.

Don't mess with a 318is... full stop.

The cheapest option is probably to convert an auto 325i to manual.

Don't mess with a 318is... full stop.

The cheapest option is probably to convert an auto 325i to manual.

+1.

As others have said an e30 318is is quite rare. For the amount of money you spend on an auto 325i then a manual box etc, it'd prob still end up cheaper than what you could sell the 318is for.

+1.

As others have said an e30 318is is quite rare. For the amount of money you spend on an auto 325i then a manual box etc, it'd prob still end up cheaper than what you could sell the 318is for.

ok.

i just dont what a 4dr tbh.

So more trying to gauge what would be my best bet to go down with.

Also i cant be bothered changing auto to manual. Swapping a manual lower powered car for alternative engine would be preferable.

What would a 325is that appears to be in very good condition be worth that has had a 2.7 conversion done?

Around the $11000 - $12000ish mark?

For the record - I couldn't sell a genuine 318iS that had 10s of thousands spend on the engine/car/turbo and 300hp for 7k.

It is a mint car and I'd get 7 for it if it wasn't highly modified.

Another point I think you're missing is that the 318is gearbox won't bolt up to the 325i engine anyway... so you'll have to do the gearbox swap regardless.

The other option if you're really averse to having a 4 door is find a good 320i coupe and swap a M20B25 in.

Whats the point in putting a m20b25 in an 318is body?

Thats basically a 325 with a iS lip.

Just put a 2.5 in a coupe

Another point I think you're missing is that the 318is gearbox won't bolt up to the 325i engine anyway... so you'll have to do the gearbox swap regardless.

The other option if you're really averse to having a 4 door is find a good 320i coupe and swap a M20B25 in.

Would have done full mechanical swap not only engine, i mean even interior and wiring loom and all that.

No the gearbox would fit. the 318is uses a getrag 240, which will fit the m20b25. E30 320i's came with getrag 240's standard.

Why not Tasteful upgrades to the 318IS

Brakes, suspension engine - but still working with what you have

high quality Springs, shocks, urethane bushings, really good brake pads and rotors, headers, new camshafts, rebuilt higher compression engine.

That would be a really fun car then. and all without losing any of what it makes it a 318IS

a lot of that list above would be parts possibly needing replaced anyways, a rebuilt engine is a good thing.

and things like Good quality Headers won't de value a car like that either, i think it would be better than a 325 if all that was done.

Any standard car with no mods will be always be worth more than a car that has been messed around with, for my own opinion i will only buy a standard car with service history from a well known service engineer, is worth a lot more than any car that has had mods done. But saying that i am not saying all mods are bad, but when they are done proffessionally and with a guarantee then fine but changing a good rare car for something thats really no better seems a shame and you will lose money in the long run in my opinion.