Sign in to follow this  
M325is

Your views on Guy Fawkes

Should Fireworks be banned?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Fireworks are now on sale. What does it mean to you? What do you plan doing this Guy Fawkes? Do you give your children fireworks to take to parties if they are under 18?

If you think fireworks should not be banned can you tell us whether you have pets or household assets that can be harmed by fireworks and untrustworthy hands?

What are the new laws (if any) on fireworks. I've never really splashed out on fireworks, I know a whole lot of my mates who do but I don't really see the point in lighting your money on fire (although I smoke). I think the best thing is to watch the Asians that buy hundreds of dollars worth LOL. I know it may sound cheap but to me it makes no difference really, it's just an explosion.

Where we live it aint too bad on our dogs as there isn't normally that many people that let fireworks off round the street etc. Would be a whole different story if we were on a beachfront where everyone flocks.

Meh it's just another day for me.

New law is you have to be over 18 to purchase fireworks and they are only sold for 3 days leading up to GuyFawkes.

Your views on Guy Fawkes

An absolutely wonderful chap.

Perhaps if he were alive today and living in NZ we wouldn't have to put up with all the political brouhaha that we are being bombarded with.

Haha.

One mans wonderful chap is another mans terrorist.

When I was a kid we used to make bombs out of double happys. Those small whistling rockets were badass too - bend them in half and instead of shooting in the air, they explode. Or break off the sitck and let -em go - used to fly in all sorts of directions - fun to dodge. They were cheap too - 100 for $10.

Sure there was always the odd burn victim in the news. theres always some accident victim from some dangerous "sport" or activity in the news - what's new.

I am against nanny-state politics. I am against wrapping myself or others (incl. children) in cotton wool.

However, as the population has grown, and the culture changed I imagine its pretty dangerous in suburban areas with all these pre-teen hoodlums running around trying to hurt innocent bystanders and set fire to peoples homes, so there does need to be some level of regulation. When I was 12 or 13 we only tried to blow up ourselves, not other people.

Personally I'm not that worried, I live in a rural area. If I want to blow sh*t up, I blow sh*t up. It's just that the "bombs" (fireworks) you used to be able to buy look prettier than the ones you make yourself. The ones you make yourself are more fun though - I'd like to see anything the warehouse sells being able to blow up a stump, or fire an orange a few hundred metres :D

So I say bring back the dangerous stuff, just make it harder to get (firearms license or similar maybe?)

Edited by bravo

Guest SamSpargo

I am just stoked I made it though childhood with all my digits and my eyes.

Keep it legal, but make them harder to get hold of.

I got in trouble a lot last year for taping up cascades and making sparkler bombs at my school Howick College. Our best was probably blowing a big hole out of a brick outside the Science resource room. You can then put them in coke bottles for greater loudness and fright factor.

We also have massive turf wars at the local park with 10 shots shot directly at each other, burns holes in t-shirts etc... Great fun.

They should be banned. As far as displays go, nothings better than your local public display.

You can then put them in coke bottles for greater loudness and fright factor.

I doubt it crossed your mind but there are others like you out there that end up crossing the boundary when it comes to fright factor, leading to death.

How would you feel if one of your antics killed somebody or an animal? You might not of thought it at the time but in the event it happens, how bad would you feel? And not to mention how bad the family would feel about their loss to such a dumb, careless act!

Did you pay to replace the brick? If you didn't who did?

We need to find a way to get around supplying those dumb f**ks with fireworks, and unfortunately the only way I see this happening is if we banned for all.

Although I like the firearms idea.

Guest SamSpargo

I doubt it crossed your mind but there are others like you out there that end up crossing the boundary when it comes to fright factor, leading to death.

How would you feel if one of your antics killed somebody or an animal? You might not of thought it at the time but in the event it happens, how bad would you feel? And not to mention how bad the family would feel about their loss to such a dumb, careless act!

Did you pay to replace the brick? If you didn't who did?

We need to find a way to get around supplying those dumb f**ks with fireworks, and unfortunately the only way I see this happening is if we banned for all.

Although I like the firearms idea.

You yourself put it best when you said "young dumb and..."

Part of growing up and being a teenager is being stupid and thoughtless.

We used to take apart flying cranes, replace the shell with a triple A battery and repack the charge. Drop them down a 10ft pipe and set it to any angle - we were firing batteries close to 600m over entire neighbourhoods. Did we think about what we were doing? Hell no we didn't.

But now, 8 years later, I can certainly see the errors of my ways. But then hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it.

Edited by SamSpargo

I am against nanny-state politics. I am against wrapping myself or others (incl. children) in cotton wool.

So I say bring back the dangerous stuff, just make it harder to get (firearms license or similar maybe?)

I'm with ya on both points.

Its was just the done thing when we were younger to play rip open fireworks and try "improve" them. When it wasn't fireworks season there was always dry ice bombs and spud cannons. The fact my old man and his mates were making oxy-acetylene bombs only served as encouragement. Hell, the local plumbing shop and bbq factory would gladly help you out with a spud cannon. does a 15 year old really want a bbq igniter for his bbq? much the same as buying 20 packs of sparklers and 2 rolls of tape.

I think its pretty good now how its 18+ and only on sale for 3 days. It used to be so easy to get them a few years ago when you had to be like 13 or whatever it was back then.

I personally love fireworks. Like some others I like to blow things up. Although it would only be fruit and other harmless crap, not hands. It would be a real shame if they banned them altogether. They are a good family night out, and an excuse to have a party :D.

I've had my fun and trouble with fireworks, won't be buying many if any this time around.

m325is you are the biggest spoilsport.

I think the on sale for 3 days thing is good, but keep it R16 not R18.

Yes I have a dog but she just curls up under the bed for the night - its no biggie.

Guest SamSpargo

Open invite!

We even rang the council and they were sweet with us drinking too. The guy must have been having a good day at the office :D

Open invite!

We even rang the council and they were sweet with us drinking too. The guy must have been having a good day at the office :D

Haha wow thats good. Hopefully I can make it. Get someone else to drive so I can do some drinking! :D

It is all fun and games until someone close to you is severly hurt by bullshit cheap fireworks. And even worse when they are so young that they do not understand why they have burns all over them. Speaking from family experiance. And they were being let off by an adult.

Backyard fireworks are lame! Would much rather go and watch the massive ones let off at a public display.

ahh i remenber the days when guyfawkes had the buzzybees,skyrockets and double happys, now its all pc bs every year when it comes round

Awesome SamSpargo!!!

I am against backyard fireworks with family/kids etc... We had one of the massive 7 or 8 shots tip over and aim right onto the deck and inside where everyone was watching, not fun.

No Shelly, didn't replace replace the brick, and yes we were stupid, but certainly DID NOT want to hurt or injure someone so there were some boundaries. Got to live dangerous sometimes though aye?

The banning of fireworks is once again the nanny state telling us what we can and can't do.

I will admit that there are a lot of young fools out there who act irresponsibly, but why should the entire community suffer because of the actions of a few?

i think DIY fireworks are rubbish and they should be canned and replaced by more decent public pyrotechnic displays the f**kin light up the sky and make the ground shake!