Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

With $40K+ which would you choose?

E30 / E46 M3?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was doing my daily trademe browse and came across these two listings and thought to myself... If I had the cash, which one would I take...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-182185290.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=186315597

I still can't quite make up my mind, speed/looks(depreciating value) or class/heritage(appreciating value)?

Depends what you were buying the car for, cant imagine daily driving an E30 m3, but in saying that I'd happily drive a corolla all week if I knew that beauty was waiting for me at home.

e30 is only going to appreciate if you dont drive it very often.

i would take an e46

Its a very hard one. I completely adore e30 M3's and would have one anyday. But for a daily, the comfort of the e46 M3 would easily beat the comfort of the e30.

I would have both! But in this case probably the E46.

Buy the E30 M3 cause its just a great car and wait for the E46s to drop even further. That said the Imola red car that sold yesterday for $43k with only 49000ks on the clock was bloody tempting

The E30 is obviously going to win out on here :P. But I vote the e46 because it is an every day car which can set your pants on fire at any point in the day. Given that, you could buy an e30 m3, drive it for a few months to get it out of your system and lose next to no money selling it then get an e46 which would have fallen in price further.

Sticking with your current e36 would be the best bet I think.

Never know when a $9000 bill suddenly come up on your face especially with a earlier e46 m3s. And yes e30 m3's arent as practical as your current car.

I would get a e34 540 or something as a daily if u got the money to splash. LOL

IMO only

if you can afford the maintenance bill of a Modern //M, go for it

if not keep your car and buy the closest thing to the e30 M3 - e30 318iS for fun :P

Sticking with your current e36 would be the best bet I think.

Never know when a $9000 bill suddenly come up on your face especially with a earlier e46 m3s. And yes e30 m3's arent as practical as your current car.

I would get a e34 540 or something as a daily if u got the money to splash. LOL

IMO only

Haha, this poll is purely hypothetically speaking. I am definitely not going throw $40K at no car anytime soon...

I am back to my dreaming... maybe I should change my sig back to "Dreams are for free... in this one I have 40k+ to spend on an M3" lol!

Buy the E30 M3 cause its just a great car and wait for the E46s to drop even further. That said the Imola red car that sold yesterday for $43k with only 49000ks on the clock was bloody tempting

Given that, you could buy an e30 m3, drive it for a few months to get it out of your system and lose next to no money selling it then get an e46 which would have fallen in price further.

lol, you guys are ruthless! I like your thinking... BOTH!

Edited by crazyarab

I voted E46.

E30M3 is not enough car for the money, especially when their dynamics can be replicated for less. Pretty difficult to replicate E46 tech for $40,000, not to mention they'd be just as special to drive imho.

I wouldn't pay more than $30k for an E30 M3. Would much rather an S30 for appreciating classic duties, especially when 190E 16V's can be had for $10k-$15k range.

*Dons flame suit* :ph34r:

Take out a second loan and buy both, and a 318iS for a daily.

I bought an E30 because it was a dream car of mine, I can't say I would consider an E46 a dream car. It wouldn't even cross my mind to daily drive it though. I see E36, E46 and E9* every day of the week, can't say the same about an E30.

If it's a second car (which it is), I would rather not have such a swiftly depreciating asset.

Edited by savant

I bought an E30 because it was a dream car of mine, I can't say I would consider an E46 a dream car. It wouldn't even cross my mind to daily drive it though. I see E36, E46 and E9* every day of the week, can't say the same about an E30.

If it's a second car (which it is), I would rather not have such a swiftly depreciating asset.

Pretty much word for word my opinion. Except I don't own an E30 M3 :( I do daily drive the E36 M3 though :D

I voted E46.

E30M3 is not enough car for the money, especially when their dynamics can be replicated for less. Pretty difficult to replicate E46 tech for $40,000, not to mention they'd be just as special to drive imho.

I wouldn't pay more than $30k for an E30 M3. Would much rather an S30 for appreciating classic duties, especially when 190E 16V's can be had for $10k-$15k range.

*Dons flame suit* :ph34r:

I agree with you, as much as I love the E30 M3 I couldn't see myself buying one over an E46. Just not value for money in my book, would prefer a modded e30 for half the money if I wanted a car like that.

E46 'cause damn their sex on wheels

But I would get an E30 M3 as well somehow and use the E46 as the daily

i would get the e30.

purely because when i see an e46 m3 i think "oh cool"

but when i see an e30 m3 (which iv only seen a few times on holiday) i think "DAAAMNNNNNNNNNNNNN"

basically, for me, e46 is just too hairdresser car and e30 is a race car with history.

basically, for me, e46 is just too hairdresser car and e30 is a race car with history.

How many hairdressers drive $40K+ cars?!?

Maybe I am in the wrong profession >.<

nah its just there is this e46 m3 around here iv seen this ditzy older blonde lady driving, and i just think hairdresser everytime i see it

Guest SamSpargo

Tony & Guy, High St, $120 haircut.