Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

With $40K+ which would you choose?

E30 / E46 M3?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Neither.

Avus blue E39 M5 for me.

I can help you achieve your goal, sell me that old troublesome E30 & you can move forward to your E39. :D :D

How many hairdressers drive $40K+ cars?!?

Maybe I am in the wrong profession >.<

Theres a hairdresser in town I know drives a S55 AMG!!!

Some of them do make money most cant imagine...

We just gotta get out of our typical thinking... My Wifes a hair dresser

Edited by M3_guy

Tony & Guy, High St, $120 haircut.

Jeez... Do we get our toe balls polished for that amount? Hahaha

How many hairdressers drive $40K+ cars?!?

Maybe I am in the wrong profession >.<

Lol at that, my mate owns her own salon and is earning more than your average Joe in.. Plus $40,000 is bugger all for a car.

It would be a hard choice for me but given the two parked in front of me and the offer of choosing one for free in under 5 seconds I would go for the E30.. Given a day to talk it over with the missus and think about what suits us best I would end up with the 46.

Brain sais 46 heart sais 30.

E30 M3, no computers/ electronics 'helping' you drive. Just you and the car.

The E46 owes its existence to the E30 :)

The E46 owes its existence to the E30 :)

That argument is kinda invalid...it's like saying: "if the e46 is the successor then surely it is a better car." Common non sequitur.

Also i'm pretty sure the aids in the e46 can be silenced :)

Don't get me wrong! I think the e30m3 is one of the choicest cars, but i'd rather have an e46 and a modified e30 for the same coin as e30m3..i guess my priorities would be most driving enjoyment per $.

Brain sais 46 heart sais 30.

+1.

Well currently the vote is evenly split with 52 votes placed - that's the closest poll we've ever had!

Good poll! I voted E30 for this reason-

purely because when i see an e46 m3 i think "oh cool"

but when i see an e30 m3 (which iv only seen a few times on holiday) i think "DAAAMNNNNNNNNNNNNN"

Haha look at the vote results. Doesn't help you one bit. Dead tie when I posted this.

Haha look at the vote results. Doesn't help you one bit. Dead tie when I posted this.

Looks like E46 has taken the lead by a nose hair...

Tough choice >.<

p.s. about the hairdressing comment.

I know that there are some very successful individuals out there in the hairdressing profession... especially when it comes to catering for the female market!

So don't get me wrong, was not taking a dig lol.

Funny enough, I have actually been cutting hair as a hobby for years now... Perhaps I should start charging my mates $120 a pop too ;).

Edited by crazyarab

I see your M3's for sale crazyarab?

Yep, the upgrade bug has bitten again...

Definitely in no rush to pass on my dream though, so won't be letting go easily.

Upgrade your dream for a better one...... E30 M3 or E46M3

I wish, can't afford neither at this stage.

Was thinking more along the lines of an E36 evo :).

• Like 1

I'd take the e46 IF it wasnt the colour of last nights chunder. The bile green is far too holden/ford, just doesnt speak quality to me.

So e30 it is

Personally speaking, I love the Phoenix Gold colour on the M3's. Saw one in Wellington a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked absolutely stunning.

P.S. - E46 for me :-)

Edited by E36

Hmm E46 M3 for me but i love the E30's.

And im a big fan of the E36 series cars.

The newer cars are nice,but i think BMW is moving in the wrong direction,too heavy and too many gadgets.

I know they could never go back to making a car like the E30 because of safety and other issues but i hope i never see the day that an M3 comes out with a 2 ton curb weight!

I am eventually going to go back to a E36 car as i had more fun in a cheaper car to be honest and the E36 is beautifully balanced and the weight of the car felt about right.

Less power but power isnt everything.

• Like 1

And im a big fan of the E36 series cars.

I am eventually going to go back to a E36 car as i had more fun in a cheaper car to be honest and the E36 is beautifully balanced and the weight of the car felt about right.

Now, theres a man who knows what he's talking about! B)
  • Like 1

E30 for life! i love the style an the speed of the e46's an of course that mean performance inline six growl. but the e30 has all ways been my soft spot an im a classic car person these days(still own a 19 year old Nissan :D )

Firstly disclosure: I haven't driven an e30 M3.

I did however look very, very seriously at e46 M3s about 18 months ago. Ultimately I didn't buy one primarily because they are faster than they feel. Personally I think you're better with a car that feels faster than it is - it's much more fun to feel like you're driving fast than slow I'm sure we all agree, but in an e46 M3 you have to be driving really, really fast to get that feeling.

The M3 CSL on the other hand is a different car. It's one of only 2 cars I have deliberately had sideways on a test drive (the other being a RenaultSport Clio 172), which shows how beautifully communicative and balanced the chassis is. It also feels fast where the regular M3 feels like a Mondeo because of the noise it makes I imagine, and the SMG 'box becomes superb when it adds the blip every downshift (which the regular M3 SMG doesn't do). The manual e46 has an awful shift action, somehow very long AND quite notchy with tight and loose bits through the gate.

I voted e30 of the two options because it has to be better than the e46. If the CSL was in budget that would have go tmy vote. I wish I had bough one when I had the chance in fact.

Edited by Fen

Firstly disclosure: I haven't driven an e30 M3.

I did however look very, very seriously at e46 M3s about 18 months ago. Ultimately I didn't buy one primarily because they are faster than they feel. Personally I think you're better with a car that feels faster than it is - it's much more fun to feel like you're driving fast than slow I'm sure we all agree, but in an e46 M3 you have to be driving really, really fast to get that feeling.

The M3 CSL on the other hand is a different car. It's one of only 2 cars I have deliberately had sideways on a test drive (the other being a RenaultSport Clio 172), which shows how beautifully communicative and balanced the chassis is. It also feels fast where the regular M3 feels like a Mondeo because of the noise it makes I imagine, and the SMG 'box becomes superb when it adds the blip every downshift (which the regular M3 SMG doesn't do). The manual e46 has an awful shift action, somehow very long AND quite notchy with tight and loose bits through the gate.

I voted for the E46 as I love the shape and the power from the six! Mine is SMG and it does the blip on the downshift and its superb!

Edited by Hugs

The regular M3 SMG might blip very slightly, but it's barely perceptible and nothing like the way the CSL does. Not even close.

46 is a better car for driving e30 is taking a step back in time

Im guessing thats coming from someone that has driven both . . . . ?

The E30 M3 is still one of the greatest chassis of all time, leaves the E46 in the shade for driver feedback and thrills.

The regular M3 SMG might blip very slightly, but it's barely perceptible and nothing like the way the CSL does. Not even close.

Haven't been in a CSL, so take from that what you will...

... but a mate of mine has the regular M3 SMG and he drives it pretty hard and the gearbox aggressively blips on the downshifts. I suspect the little transmission computer adjusts to your driving style (on a M3), but is set to aggressive (on a CSL). Only a guess though.