Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

e39 540i throttle body onto e46

I'm toying with the idea of creating an intake system for the 330i

Around the lines of enlarged 540 throttle body, Carbon fibre intake plenum similar to the CSL / s54 setup. and obviously an ECU remap to suit for m54b30 engines.

Semantics aside .. the electronics side of thing is the only real problem I can see with this. e39 TB and sensor ranges/ types.

This is probably a question for Glenn more than any body :)

* Main benefits would be about a 10-15hp gain in HP (going by similar Dinan results)

* The every important C/F air box induction sound.

* under the bonnet looks.

* I have the means to accurately industrially cut Carbon fibre patterns from 3d models.

* Have several friends who are proficient in solid works

* maybe even access to flow dynamics software to test the theory.

I'd check with Gavin first

The first obsticle might be the load single for EGS being out of scale....then your up for more trans related problems

I think you'l also find the 540 throttle body wont fit in there and the plugs are different...or have you already researched this ?? I just looked at a fly by wire 540 we have in the workshop at the moment. Had 2 330's here yesterday....none today though

I'd check with Gavin first

The first obsticle might be the load single for EGS being out of scale....then your up for more trans related problems

I think you'l also find the 540 throttle body wont fit in there and the plugs are different...or have you already researched this ?? I just looked at a fly by wire 540 we have in the workshop at the moment. Had 2 330's here yesterday....none today though

Dinan supply a bored one to create 9% more airflow.

Posted Image

I know someone in Auck. who bores out T/B's complete with new throttle plate etc, if you also need any electronics interface to fool/scale existing ecu we could probably design something if need be.

Good to know! .. thanks :)

The big cost is going to the be the mold. The old man is pretty well hooked up with the sailing community. The cutting process, the parents own/run a CAM/CAD cutter business so can get awesome accuracy with the material. They also have a few people with AutoClave ovens

I dont want to hijack your thread Josh, but I was wondering if any of you lot know anything about swapping the inlet manifold and remapping the 528 engine?

Ive started reading a little bit about it, but mostly all I can find it people putting either 325/525 inlet manifolds onto their 328's with either modified throttle bodies or just a remap. They appear to consistently get 220bhp from the 190 starting point.

Ive found a couple of sites saying you can do the same with the 528, but nothing specific to my M52TU (or whatever its called!)

If there are people who know then Ill start a different thread.

They talk about that in the TBMW E36 article i posted some time ago, have a read in General disc.

I dont want to hijack your thread Josh, but I was wondering if any of you lot know anything about swapping the inlet manifold and remapping the 528 engine?

Ive started reading a little bit about it, but mostly all I can find it people putting either 325/525 inlet manifolds onto their 328's with either modified throttle bodies or just a remap. They appear to consistently get 220bhp from the 190 starting point.

Ive found a couple of sites saying you can do the same with the 528, but nothing specific to my M52TU (or whatever its called!)

If there are people who know then Ill start a different thread.

I'm pretty sure that it only works on the earlier engine (m52 non TU) Martynn.

Theres a bigger difference between the m52-m52tu than there is m52tu-m54.

I also think those HP gains they talk about are a little optimistic.

* maybe even access to flow dynamics software to test the theory.

I can run a basic flow simulation for you to get the data you need.

I'm pretty sure that it only works on the earlier engine (m52 non TU) Martynn.

Cheers Tony, thats what I thought. Ive seen a few people reckon they have 220bhp, but the proof would be in the pudding I guess.

Sorry Josh, as you were mate ;)

Pen, see my comment was about your engine not the original thread

Now Ive read a bit more about it I can see that now thanks 3pedals :)

Looks like its muchos dollaros to do anything, so I guess I'll stick with the aesthetic mods for now.

Josh, got any headers on the 330 yet?

You've got some s50 headers there, why not have them straightened and try them?

You're gunna need them for one of the two cars and probably wont fit the e30??

Josh, got any headers on the 330 yet?

You've got some s50 headers there, why not have them straightened and try them?

You're gunna need them for one of the two cars and probably wont fit the e30??

No dont have headers yet ... the matched ones for the rest of my exhaust system are around $3500 us. My s50 ones Im going to try and keep for the s50. But weather theyll fit without rubbing is going to be another question.