Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Vietnam ??

Last year I went to Thailand for 15 days and thoroughly enjoyed my holiday. This year I miss out on a holiday for staffing issues which I wont go into.

Next year I was thinking of doing about 15 days in Vietnam.

Anyone been there, or is there someone who can give me any suggestions

I liked Bankok for shopping and all the touristy things, but I really loved getting out in the country. Anang & PiPi Island was great.

Cheers

Glenn

I liked Bankok for shopping and all the touristy things, but I really loved getting out in the country. Anang & PiPi Island was great.

Ha, I went to Bangkok then on to Phuket and Pipi Is. last year aswell!

Didn't stay in Bangkok long though, makes you feel like you've washed your face with engine oil.

Sorry, nothing to do with Vietnam.

It's been over 40 years since I was last there Glenn and I believe it has changed a hell of a lot since then, so it's not much use asking me.

The local population are ok but practice your motor scooter riding skills before you leave.

My Uncle is Vietnamese, I went there in 2006 for a wedding.

Very interesting place, Heaps to do and see etc. Alot of History from the war as well which i found interesting (I enjoy war history)

Went to Ho Chi Min City and up the country to his Hometown Hanoi

Make sure you drink bottled water :unsure:

I would recomend it, Just make sure you can ride a scooter - the way they do that is EPIC. No road rules but everyone seems to no where they are going

Edited by braeden.

my sister in law and husband and two children lived in Hanoi for a few years...

My partners mum went this year, she said it was great, the out back towns are full of little market places where things are next to nothing. They eat some pretty weird food like dog etc. apparently its not too bad eww!

The beaches are amazing. The larger towns are crazy with scooters and took tooks speeding everywhere, she saw a baby fall off the back of one and when you cross the street you have to dodge them as they wont stop.

They spent a lot of time in the pools drinking cocktails and shopping on the cooler days as the heat was unbearable. They could only drink bottled water and had heaps of injections before leaving.

I've ridin bikes all my life. The scooters arent a problem, I spose you can hire a Harley like you can in Thailand

Big bro spends 2/3 mths there each year cruising around-he absolutely loves it.

Thanks for all the replies, however, I know most of what you are all telling me.

I want to try and find out all the best places to go to... get a bit of input from people who may have been there

Guest SamSpargo

Talk to my bro, his mates went there earlier in the year, he should be able to garner some info from them.

I'm told Hoi An is pretty cool - so I'm going over the Christmas break.

I am also told that for $50 you can shoot an AK47. And for another $100 you can use a shoulder mounted rocket launcher (and pray that it doesn't cook off in the pipe I guess)....

spent 2 weeks there in 06, loved it, go to Hanoi and then up inland to Sapa if you like mountain villages and mist/jungle, go to Halong Bay for 3500 little islands in a green warm sea, spend the night on a junk, visit caves like waitomo, drink tiger penis wine.

Go to Hoi An, about 1000km south, great for clothes, but only get really good stuff like coats or jackets, shirts cheap but can get same from the warehouse. eat lots of octopus, best diving in the world.

Then go to Saigon, great place, millions of scooters and Colonel Sanders looks slightly oriental. Go out to Coochi to visit the tunnels and look at what it was like for them, shoot heaps of guns and stuff but never saw a rocket launcher, go through the tunnels for 100m and see what you think.

Visit the jail, lots of things. For $10NZ can get a cab for about 4 hours, food is great and cheap. lots of tours. can send some pics if you have email address.

mike

my old man just came back from there .

havn't talked to him yet , but got emails etc from the trip .

sounded pretty good.

I'm going in February - have a trip planned.

Things you must do

Ha-Long Bay - Overnight Cruise

Hoi An - get yourself some cheap tailor made suits

Nah Trang - Beach Resort type place

Ho Chi Min City (Saigon) - various war things - tunnels - shoot RPG's etc

I will report back after my trip

also this website is good lonely planet - vietnam

Thanks for all the replies, however, I know most of what you are all telling me.

I want to try and find out all the best places to go to... get a bit of input from people who may have been there

Try Nui Dat, you might find a few of the relics I left behind. Keep an eye out for 40 year old Eurasians............ you never know.

Try Nui Dat, you might find a few of the relics I left behind. Keep an eye out for 40 year old Eurasians............ you never know.

40 year olds ?? I think the 20 year olds would be better "eye candy" :rolleyes: