Sign in to follow this  
Braeden320

Auckland Living

Hey Guys,

A question for those north of the bombays.

I'm contemplating a move to Auckland, Looking at a position at our head office in New Lyn (Portage Road)

Just wondering what type of cost you would be looking at for a room in a tidy house/flat/apartment? And what suburb should I be looking at, given the location of where the office is. Travel is ok as long as its no more than an hour 1 way

Appriciate any comments/ideas

average cost is $150 per week for a room big enough to fit a double bed and walk around it. That is in all non sh*t and dodgy places within 25 min drive of auckland CBD in non peak traffic time.

Ponsonby, Grey Lynn, Westmere, Freemans Bay, St Marys Bay, Herne Bay, Arch Hill for the win.

If you live in any of those areas you'll be opposing traffic in the morning and afternoon so should only take 10 minutes to get to New Lynn. Plus they're all very close to the city and harbour bridge. Rent for a semi decent room would be $150 + a week.

Personally I think If you worked in New Lynn, then living in the North Shore or anywhere in South or East Auckland traffic would be a c*nt getting to and from work. My vote is for somewhere nice in West Auckland or better still any of those places I listed up top.

Edited by Hi-Tek

New Lynn is c**t of a place to get to no matter where your coming from. Nice area out west is Henderson Valley and thats about it unless you want to drive a bit further into the coutryside.

New Lynn is c**t of a place to get to no matter where your coming from.

Well it's a long way from Botany!

Braeden. - If I were you I'd live nearby to your place of work, unless you have an incredibly strong need to be walking distance to somewhere cool. New Lynn and most surrounding suburbs are actually not too expensive (for Auckland) to live in and I reckon its a nice enough place.

Edited by CamB

Mount Albert is good and semi local to everything. 10mins to Town 5-10mins to newlynn 10-15 to west ak. looking around $150 for a pretty nice place. traffic isnt awesome but its O.K (we pay $460 for a four bedroom nice large house with decent lawn for summer :-)

Helensville's nice an' handy.

Edited by Westy

Westy might have a room for you :D

He needs money for mods on the new toy :P

Is it safe to assume everybody suggested the area that they live in? :P

I know I did 'Ponsonby'!

Nah. I suggested New Lynn coz its close to New Lynn. Why make life hard on yourself when you are flatting and can easily choose somewhere convenient?

Guest SamSpargo

Auckland CBD is pretty mean if you luck out and find a decent pad.

I'm paying 200 a week for a pretty big room with a balcony and a huge apartment that spans from High St to Queen St.

Carpark is separate though.

Bear in mind if you find a sweet apartment you'll probably also get facilities like a gym, pool, tennis court etc etc.

Basically you have 2 options - find somewhere in a nearby suburb (what I would do) My g/f lived in Henderson and it was safe and tidy enough if you like living in cities.

Or you can find somewhere down the motorway preferrably in a direction toward the city which as Hi-tek says means you're going the right way for the traffic, and closer to town for the weekend.

If it were me, I'd just avoid Auckland altogether lol. But them I'm a redneck from the country. I guess 100km/h empty roads on the way to work, an office 50m from the beach, $110 p/w rent and a paddock for burnouts isn't the life for everybody.

Edited by bravo

So you work for HRV or Wormald then.

And I disagree, as long as you aren't coming from the West, Portage Rd is easy to get to.

It takes me 36 minutes from my cafe in Glendowie to get to the office, taking the slow route around the Waterfront. There is a faster one that can shave 5 minutes of my time, but I can't drink my Latte in peace.

And the same time home. Just avoid the Southern Motorway, Greenlane Roundabout and driving in from Massey or the Shore and you'll be fine.

It takes me 36 minutes from my cafe in Glendowie to get to the office, taking the slow route around the Waterfront. There is a faster one that can shave 5 minutes of my time, but I can't drink my Latte in peace.

OMG, nicely reinforcing the "latte sipping Aucklander" stereotype right there.

Leave him alone Cam, he drives an e34 540i :)

My pleasure! I also don't give a f*ck. Especially if you live over the Shore or South of the Bombays.

Leave him alone Cam, he drives an e34 540i :)

which he doesnt take to work,for two reasons...e34,s dont have cupholders,and he has a company car...

Your best bet is to live in New Lynn (close to work)& have a good nosey around Auckland so you find an area YOU like.

2 brm flats in New lynn around 250-275, have a look on Crockers for prices etc.

pm me if you can't find anything or not sure.

Edited by mr E34

New Lynn, Blockhouse Bay, Green Bay, Kaurilands, Titirangi, Mt Albert, Avondale.

And Yes, I have a company car, so I drive that. It doesn't go anywhere near as hard as the 540LE. And when you do (in the BMW), it does spill my coffee.

Ergo, one is a driver's car, one isn't. I spend more each day on coffee than I do on diesel.

You'll love Auckland. We're wonderful people and the traffic isn't as bad as everyone makes out.

Guest SamSpargo

We should have a conversation about sex and travel.

You'll love Auckland. We're wonderful people and the traffic isn't as bad as everyone makes out.

The people - not as bad as everyone makes out.

The traffic - I think you've just got used to it. I hated it when I moved there, two years later it wasn't so bad, moved away, and immediately realised how used to it I'd become, and how bad it actually was.

As far as cities go, there are plenty worse, but it certainly lacks the charm of some of our smaller cities like Dunedin and Christchurch.

I live in Epsom and I can get to New Lynn in under half and hour in the morning. It is a pretty central suburb and close to everywhere, and we have Cornwallpark 5 mins walk, 15 min drive to the city, 15 mins to Mission Bay.

I vote Henderson. The drive to New Lynn wouldn't be bad at all as you can avoid the motorway. That, and ive stayed in Hendo for the last 12 or more years so i am a tad bias and would'nt want to stay anywhere else.

I paid $300/ week for a 3brm and a pool + garage w/ workshop on Lincoln road (Main road) last year - this year.

20mins to all the good surf beaches/waitakere ranges for hiking/trekking. 15mins drive or $30 in a taxi to town. 2 movie theatres within 10 min's of each other. Plenty shops/mall/supermarkets. 30 mins to Woodhill forest for mountain biking.

Only downside is our supermarkets dont sell al-ka-mo-hol thanks to the trusts.. Last place open is 2330hrs on a friday, then its a trip to Grey Lynn/Dominion/Town for booze. Also traffic on Lincoln road on a saturday due to kids sports/everybody going crazy because its sunny and they have to take the family to long bay - can become 20mins just to get down Lincoln sometimes

Edited for 24 hour time fail

Edited by Pjay

Guest Simon*

We should have a conversation about sex and travel.

Hahahaha that's a gem quote - I love that line

The stereotype's a bit old I'm afraid, and while I prefer flat whites to lattes, I can't get enough of the stuff and make no apologies for it either - even during the 12 years I lived in Auckland :)

Working in that area Braeden gives you lots of options mate - cool if you can live closer to the CBD and certainly no real issue with traffic as you'd be heading west and away from it in the morning. Point Chev would be cool, Mt Albert ok, Westmere is pretty bloody nice and of course Herne Bay and Ponsnobby if you want to be in the thick of it.

Alternatively you have Te Atatu Peninsula in the west - I lived there for about 6 years, and would prefer it to Henderson - it's pretty nice, some good places to rent and literally a stone's throw from your new work.

Options unlimited really.

GL ;)