Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

E30 Short shifter

WTB : short shifter. Anyone got anything that isn't the ones on trademe?

Guest FrantiC

WTB : short shifter. Anyone got anything that isn't the ones on trademe?

Get a z3 1.9 shifter. 30% shorter. Direct fit and it's the same shape as the e30 one (With the bend at the bottom), Which means it doesn't make it harder to get into gear like other ones which are straight do.

I just threw out my trademe short shifter which was a piece of sh*t and got a z3 1.9 shifter for $112.44 shipped in less than a week from Germany, Thanks to Haddon from SPEED NZ.

You may be able to find a cheaper second hand one though, But yeah that options still out there and it's OEM.

Edited by FrantiC

Get a z3 1.9 shifter. 30% shorter. Direct fit and it's the same shape as the e30 one (With the bend at the bottom), Which means it doesn't make it harder to get into gear like other ones which are straight do.

I just threw out my trademe short shifter which was a piece of sh*t and got a z3 1.9 shifter for $112.44 shipped in less than a week from Germany, Thanks to Haddon from SPEED NZ.

You may be able to find a cheaper second hand one though, But yeah that options still out there and it's OEM.

+1 go for the OEM Z3 shifter. I put one in the E30 coupe I'm selling...no friggen around and they work perfectly

+1 Z3 1.9 or z3 M shifter.

I paid much the same price as FrantiC (maybe $10 or $20 more incl. freight) from forum sponsor Euro Italian about 3 years ago and it was in my hands the next day.

Guest FrantiC

+1 Z3 1.9 or z3 M shifter.

I paid much the same price as FrantiC (maybe $10 or $20 more incl. freight) from forum sponsor Euro Italian about 3 years ago and it was in my hands the next day.

I asked Euro Italian first, as I usually get most my parts from there. He said he cannot get them unless he ordered from Germany which wouldnt be here until January. SPEED NZ can do it in a week, which is far better. I think SPEED NZ is a forum sponsor? I found them on here through a link.. Not sure.

z3 1.9 fits better, as it has the bend in it (I am talking about the bottom half of the shifter, from the ball downwards it bends backwards abit). MZ3 is straight and can make it abit harder to get into gear and also harder to get into reverse. But it is much shorter than the 1.9 z3 shifter IIRC.

Yeah - that's why you'd go z3 m - shorter again, and with a slight bend in the linkage, shifting problems are no more, I run the 1.9 one myself though.

I didn't know Gavin didn't have the short shifters in stock. Wonder how much they are at the dealer?

I think SPEED NZ is an advertiser rather than a sponsor - do they offer a discount to members?

I can do a new one today for $115.00 + GST

Z3 1.9 shifter shaft with out knob

Guest FrantiC

Yeah - that's why you'd go z3 m - shorter again, and with a slight bend in the linkage, shifting problems are no more, I run the 1.9 one myself though.

I didn't know Gavin didn't have the short shifters in stock. Wonder how much they are at the dealer?

I think SPEED NZ is an advertiser rather than a sponsor - do they offer a discount to members?

Nah they don't offer discount, But their prices are pretty cheap and are close to what Gavin can do at Euro Italian even with their 15% discount. I just preffered SPEED NZ because of their very fast shipping of stuff from germany.

I think I've got the Z3 3.0 or Z3 M in my car. Notchy as, and 3rd doesn't feel like it's in the first few times you drive it.

New ex BMW via Bavarian Motors. If you have the old style shifter, there's a bit of dicking around to fit it.

I think I've got the Z3 3.0 or Z3 M in my car. Notchy as, and 3rd doesn't feel like it's in the first few times you drive it.

New ex BMW via Bavarian Motors. If you have the old style shifter, there's a bit of dicking around to fit it.

That problem may be in your gearbox or the forward selector bushes at the gearbox end of the shifter rod.

That problem may be in your gearbox or the forward selector bushes at the gearbox end of the shifter rod.

It wasn't notchy when the standard shifter was in. Most of the selector bushes are new. Trans and motor mounts are solid urethane. Gearbox has been opened up and inspected. Ernst is rebuilding another for me.

It's actually not bad at all, 2nd is just stubborn when it's cold. I'm just picky, am used to 1st and 3rd being so short now.

Would a rooted diff mount affect gear selection Glenn?

Guest FrantiC

Try put your stock shifter back in.

Straight ones make it harder to get into gears, as they poke down too far and tilt the shift rod down. That is what the trademe short shifters do. very poor design. Best fit is by far is z3 1.9. Unless you manage to find the UUC EVO ones they have in the U.S for the e30.

I have a new one sitting in my boot as I forgot to install it when I put the motor in last. Will do it this time around I think.

The part number for it is 25117527252

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...fg=05&hl=53

It also comes on the following cars.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?par...&showeur=on

Got it for $62 through the race series before they took away our discount <_<

i've asked bavarian motors about this - $100+ and about 0.5 hours labour for straight on installation

they couldnt tell me which shifter it was.

Guest FrantiC

It's damn easy to DIY. Shifter is easy, Replacing the linkage is where it can become a nightmare..

It's a good idea to replace it all though. I got all the pieces I needed from looking at the diagrams on real OEM and replaced necessary bushings and stuff, Not like the shift rod (unless it's bent). But shifter cup bushing, shifter knuckle and the o-rings /washers on the rod etc. Makes it all feel brand new and eliminates all the sloppyness.

Edited by FrantiC

Ahh crap have been away. Will try and ring ya tommorow Glenn.