Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Manual G/Box Conversion

hey bravo, got the shifter today thanks heaps! just gotta pic her up, they only left the card lol, hope my conversion goes smooth on friday.. :o

Hrmm, I got a new slave cylinder for my conversion from BNT but it does not come with the small metal "pin" that is pushed out of it to press against the level that disengages the clutch.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

Hrmm, I got a new slave cylinder for my conversion from BNT but it does not come with the small metal "pin" that is pushed out of it to press against the level that disengages the clutch.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

If you're replacing your cylinders then use the pin/rod from old one

Unfortunately I am not, I got a conversion kit from Ray the same guy brasvomikewhisky got his from and there are a few bits missing:

Slave Cylinder (Ray said not worth re-using)

Slave cylinder rubber hose

Bolts from Pressure plate to flywheel

Nuts to attach slave cylinder to bellhousing

Gearknob

Pilot bearing

Oh, and the rod that fits inside the slave cylinder.

Does a new pressure plate come with the bolts to attach it to the flywheel or should I be calling Ray up to ask for them?

Thanks for all the info guys!

1) Mine did not have slave cylinder hose, but I got one for next to nothing from a wrecker. it has metal fittings at each end to screw into the appropriate places. You could get a new one for around $40 I'd say.

2) Don't re-use bolts for the pressure plate - buy new ones - they are only $1.20 each and there are 6. And don't do them up too tight - I sheared one of them off and had to drill it out. Pain in the arse. If you have a torque wrench something around the 25-30 ft/lbs should be heaps.

3) I'd be buying a new pilot bearing - in fact I got new pilot bearing, release bearing, clutch and pressure plate - total cost of about $360.

4) Gearknob - get aftermarket - better anyway.

Sorry I can't help you with any of the parts. One of those things you get when buying second hand - there is always something missing. Ray will generally try to find the odd bit you need if you struggle to get it provided he has access to one.

Are there any guys in Auckland doing this?

torque convertor went in the current AT on my 87 320i, I've not liked the auto at all anyway so would be very keen to manualize it instead of dropping 2k on fixing the auto ;-)

I've limited mechanical nous, but would have cash and time to be a spare hand/grease monkey...

i spotted this on trademe - 5spd manual, pedal box

any advice would be apreciated... I have a friend how could probably do the conversion just from the tips on this thread, but he's in hamilton.

where in auckland are you? I MIGHT be able to give a hand, but looking at the state of my current project maybe not. its do able

If you get this.

make sure you get the piece of metal that hold the end of the selector assem to the car itself. its a piece of sheet metal bent on right angles with a single bolt.

it holds the end of the selector assem. so it does not flop around.

good luck. i would help you but i dont live in aux

You can make up that bracket pretty easily with any old bit of steel plate and a drill if you get stuck - I did. Just roughly work out dimensions, whip it up and it'll be about right - tickle it up with a hammer :thumb: Sounds rangi, but if you do it right it works fine.

I used some angle iron used for shelving in vans - already had the holes, but even some aluminium would do it.

I'm in the city, but the car will be in new lynn soon at my mums place.

it might be worth towing her to ham i guess, since I'll be needing a hoist or a pit ideally?

pfft! pussy. do it like me with 2 ramps, 2 axel stands, and a couple of bottle jacks on a dirt floor - nothing like a black face from engine grease, black hands from same and brown hair from dirt floor - colour of water in shower a interesting shade of blck - never had the balls to have a bath and see all that sh*t sloshing around me.

and brown hair from dirt floor

strange experience for you i take it?

Gotchya. All the 260 boxes have them including mine and from memory there were two holes in mine which I couldn't figure out at the time but obviously is for the flywheel sensors. I guess when you're trying to locate a box you can just ask whether it has the lugs.

some boxes dont have em...FL i think.

will be interesting to see if LJet box does when i get it

strange experience for you i take it?

yeah my last garage had a concrete floor - nowhere near as much dirt in the hair. Edited by bravomikewhiskey

i really want to get my 1994 318 mspec converted to manual but no way could i do it myself,any ideas???

do it yourself

seriously..give it a go..how hard can it be?

then get someone from bimmersport and pay them in profuse amount of beer to fix it for you.

no but seriously....how hard can it be?