Sign in to follow this  
mark247

Is it safe to tow a e36 328i auto?

Hey Looking for a quick reply here. My mate is driving a 328i auto and the waterpump has shat itself and he thinks the headgasket is blown. It is stuck on the side of the road right now. Before he tows it home he wants to know is it safe to tow an e36 with an automatic transmission? I have been told it can harm autos. Just need to double check. Thanks.

Edited by Mark247

Hey Looking for a quick reply here. My mate is driving a 328i auto and the waterpump and shat itself and he thinks the headgasket is blown. It is stuck on the side of the road right now. Before he tows it home he wants to know is it safe to tow an e36 with an automatic transmission? I have been told it can harm autos. Just need to double check. Thanks.

I'm no mechanic but have asked hte same thing before and was told it was no recommended and if a definite must, then do it with disconnecting the driveshaft first.

I don't think its very good on the trans. Might be okay for short distances though?

You either disconnect the d/s as said or use a lube pump.

Call a tow truck, they can tow it with rear wheels in the air.

Call a tow truck, they can tow it with rear wheels in the air.

BMW mechanic said it is fine if it is only a short distance. Which it is. Problem solved. Thanks fellas.

An auto is cooled by the trans fluid being pumped around the gearbox. Additionally, many of the parts in the box that require lubrication only get it when the fluid is pumped to them. No matter what gear the box is in, many of the moving parts turn if the vehicle is towed.

Short distances is ok, but long distances will mean the box will heat up and parts will wear from lack of lubrication.

Yeah, it dosent really matter what gear it is in, as parts in the gearbox are still moving, as long as its not in park, or it wont move :P

We towed it for less than 1km, and only doing about 30kph.

BMW manual says it is safe to tow at 100kph for 100km.

Edited by 320guy

Yeah, it dosent really matter what gear it is in, as parts in the gearbox are still moving, as long as its not in park, or it wont move :P

We towed it for less than 1km, and only doing about 30kph.

New waterpump and thermostat and its sweet, which is mean as. I was expecting it to be f**ked.

what??? that can't be right

Lol...

No the BMW manual cant be right about cars they designed, built and service..

New waterpump and thermostat and its sweet, which is mean as. I was expecting it to be f**ked.

I would still monitor the cooling system over the next couple of weeks though. Other components can be weakened due to the overheating and cause another problem within a short time...ie: headgaskets. Just check the cooling system occasionally for any water loss