Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

diff oils and gearbox oils

Guest FrantiC

Need to put new gearbox oil in, as mine leaks and it's coming out next week. Couple things I need to know, Whats the empty bung socket meant to be? Seems like a really big allen key or torx socket. And also what oil should I get and from where (I know redline oil, I think it is. But where do you get that from, Or is there anything better)

Also my diffs coming out and I am putting in the LSD in place of open so what oil would I use for this, And again where do you get it from?

I have heard redline oil is best, But have never seen it here.

I know quantities etc, I have done them both before. But the gearbox's empty bung never came out so I tipped it on the side to empty it. But It looks like the bottom bung is the cause of the leaking So I either need to remove it and replace it or try tighten it but it will not budge.

17mm hex for the drain & fill

Gearbox oil: Full synthetic G3

Diff: Full synthetic 75W90LSD

Edited by *Glenn*

the drain screw on my e30 always leaks, i tightened it by getting a 17mm bolt and turned it with the plumers wrench, works great.

i just put castrol "diff and gearbox" oil in both,seems fine to me

Guest FrantiC

17mm hex for the drain & fill

Gearbox oil: Full synthetic G3

Diff: Full synthetic 75W90LSD

Sweet, Where do you get these oils from though? Repco etc don't seem to have anything good. And nothing for LSD.

Sweet, Where do you get these oils from though? Repco etc don't seem to have anything good. And nothing for LSD.

We use ELF products. ..Gull service station should have them...or get them in for you

Ive used Redline MTL in my gearbox, less notchy and helped sort my 1st>2nd change hitch.

I paid $31 for 900ml bottle at BNT. Got some Redline 75W90 for my LSD too.

Edited by Eagle

I was having terrible syncro problems from 2-3rd and from 3-2nd gear. Redline MTL went in with a Kerosene flush before-hand and it took 6 weeks, but now there are no issues at all. One more oil change now and it will be great for thousands of hard k's.

Oh and make sure you put LSD designed fluid in the LSD. Redline do a LSD additive that comes in a little bottle, but their diff oils have the additive anyway, and full syn, so win win win.

As far as I am aware most getrags specify auto trans fluid. I've used Redline MTL and later switched to Redline high performance ATF. A bit more expensive but a great oil which I would highly recommend.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah I can get redline oil now, I found there is a BNT store local.

So whats the verdict?

Redline ATF for the gearbox, 75W90 for the Diff? And it already has LSD additive? Because I was looking for a redline bottle which had LSD on it or something to show it's for LSD lol.

Repco sell castrol products, got my diff and trans fluid there.

75W90 for the Diff? And it already has LSD additive? Because I was looking for a redline bottle which had LSD on it or something to show it's for LSD lol.

Read the back of that bottle and it should talk about how it helps out LSD's.

This one actually:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlub...mp;categoryID=6

The other 75W90 is not for LSD's.

This one:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlub...mp;categoryID=6

From hours and hours of forum research and some sounds advice from experienced folk: if you are having crunchy shifts, get 2 litres of Kerosene or Meths, warm the car up, get the back wheels off the ground, empty out the old fluid, but 1 litre of your kerrrro or meths in and start the car and 'drive' it for 5 mins, going through all the gears. Fluid should come out black. Repeat with second litre. Then let that drain out for half and hour and add MTL (2 bottles needed)

It made all my shifting hassles dissappear. Amazing to say the least. No more crunching from 3rd to 2nd at high revs.

Go for it.

Guest FrantiC

Mine doesn't crunch at all aye, Shifts pretty nicely.

Well I'll go get some tomorrow. Something like 1.5l for the tranny and 1.25 for the diff?

how much oil i need?? (diff and trans)

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

fa72649 (vin)

should i just go off what this says?? (engine oil is wrong on it)

Transmission Manual

Transmission Model S5D 250G

Transmission Oil 1.10 Liter

Rear Axle Oil 1.70 Liter

As far as I am aware most getrags specify auto trans fluid. I've used Redline MTL and later switched to Redline high performance ATF. A bit more expensive but a great oil which I would highly recommend.

Incary Posted Jan 14 2009, 05:22 PM

should i use a ATF???

2 bottles of each. Can't get 1 1/2 bottles so you must round up :D