Sign in to follow this  
nordschleife

E39 M5 v E46 M3

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new car. I want something quick, classy, well equipped, manual and something slightly rare.

Until a month or so ago I was pretty much set on an E46 M3 but recently someone made the recommendation of an E39 M5. E46 M3 prices seem to have stabilised a little in recent months while M5 prices appear to have dropped a little, making them closely aligned pricewise.

I'll probably keep the car for at least 3 years and do 30,000kms during that time and resale is important.

These are my thoughts so far without driving an M5 (I've driven several M3s, both manual and SMG):

- M3 looks and feels like a newer car

- M3 is probably better handling

- Better selection of M3s available

- M3 is more economical

- M3 is possibly cheaper to maintain

- M5 is cheaper to insure

- M5 has 4 doors

- NZ new M5s are very well spec'd as standard

- Fewer M5s exist so may depreciate slower

- all M5s are manual, most M3s are SMG

What are peoples thoughts and recommendations about each car? Is there anyone on here that has owned or driven both? What do I need to know about each car?

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Cheers

The M5 is proberly the better choice being a bit more rare? Still a fast, fun four door sedan. And sound great! The E46 M3 would also be fast fun etc but not really a family car if that is what you're wanting?

This M5 is going quite cheap too.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-190524264.htm

Edited by Greg.

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new car. I want something quick, classy, well equipped, manual and something slightly rare.

Until a month or so ago I was pretty much set on an E46 M3 but recently someone made the recommendation of an E39 M5. E46 M3 prices seem to have stabilised a little in recent months while M5 prices appear to have dropped a little, making them closely aligned pricewise.

I'll probably keep the car for at least 3 years and do 30,000kms during that time and resale is important.

These are my thoughts so far without driving an M5 (I've driven several M3s, both manual and SMG):

- M3 looks and feels like a newer car

- M3 is probably better handling

- Better selection of M3s available

- M3 is more economical

- M3 is possibly cheaper to maintain

- M5 is cheaper to insure

- M5 has 4 doors

- NZ new M5s are very well spec'd as standard

- Fewer M5s exist so may depreciate slower

- all M5s are manual, most M3s are SMG

What are peoples thoughts and recommendations about each car? Is there anyone on here that has owned or driven both? What do I need to know about each car?

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Have drivin an e46 m3 smg, i was speechless after (having drivin a ferrari/lambo/porsche before) they are an amazing car - if it was the m3 i'd buy a manual end of! And whilst the m3 is an awesome car - and i've never drivin an m5 something tells me in the back of my mind go for the m5! There are less around, will prob hold more value because of that fact and yea the bonus of 4 doors. If its gonna come down to economy and whats cheaper to maintain or insure maybe an 'm' car is not the right car. Higher costs come with the territory.

Buy from a dealer with a warranty and get the car checked over.

Just my personal opinion and 2c.

Good luck with your hunt!

I would drive them first.A M5 is a completely different animal than a M3.I wouldnt count on less depreciation for the M5 either.They depreciated very rapidly over the last year.

for reliability id go for the m5, they never had any recalls on engines (that i can recall) as the e46 m3 had a bearing problem -''which was solved with the replacement of bearings and a higher volume oil pump''

for reliability id go for the m5, they never had any recalls on engines (that i can recall) as the e46 m3 had a bearing problem -''which was solved with the replacement of bearings and a higher volume oil pump''

I would assume most if not all of the NZ new M3s would have had the recall done with the fear of no warrenty if the bearings failed. And you could always find out buy taking the rego through the dealer database.

Rare can be great when you own it. But not when you are trying to buy.

Iv always loved both but at the end of the day and in the long run i think id be more pleased with the M5, its been discribe as the best car in the world many times and by many magazines.

BMW,rare,400hp,v8,sound,stops great,goes great,manual done

Iv always loved both but at the end of the day and in the long run i think id be more pleased with the M5, its been discribe as the best car in the world many times and by many magazines.

BMW,rare,400hp,v8,sound,stops great,goes great,manual done

Couldn't have put it better.

yup i'd have a m5 anyday or a m3, cant stand coupes

Im teh opposite. Coupes for me any day. I only need one passenger at a time. The rest can squeeze in the back if they really want to.

M5 > M3 by 2 points

Im teh opposite. Coupes for me any day. I only need one passenger at a time. The rest can squeeze in the back if they really want to.

M5 > M3 by 2 points

yeah with your big mates in the back lookd like a hell of a squeeze i rather have me seat slighty down and comfy then cramped up

I had a couple mates in the back when i went for a skate out Muriwai yesterday and i scraped on the tiniest bump by the dairy :(

They know if they ride in the back, they'll be squashed. They all have their own cars anyway :)

Only problem I could see with the M5 is the fact they look too similar to a regular E39 so nine out of ten people will think it’s a old shiter with a bit of trade me jewellery… whereas an M3 will be recognised due to more cosmetic changes over a stock E46 and is a newer looking car.

This could also be an advantage if you don’t care what people think and like confusing HSV owners due to the wolf in sheep’s clothing sleeper look.

Not sure which one I would take, both are appealing.

Only problem I could see with the M5 is the fact they look too similar to a regular E39 so nine out of ten people will think it’s a old shiter with a bit of trade me jewellery… whereas an M3 will be recognised due to more cosmetic changes over a stock E46 and is a newer looking car.

im in that boat even though i love both id get the m3 e46 they look tougher nice curves etc

Thanks for the posts so far guys.

What about in terms of maintenance? I know that any M car isn't going to be cheap but what are the weak points of each of these cars.

After reading M3 Power's post about the CSL I'm glad I don't like SMG!

Also, the original BMW brochure says that the M3 is quicker in the 0-100kmh sprint (5.2s v M5 @5.3s). Are those figures accurate? I've seen some US sites saying that the 0-60mph time for the M3 is 4.8s, can anyone point me to a road test of the M5?

there is heaps of information on the e 39 5 after all it is over 10 years old now....

here is a web site dedicated to the e 39 M5...it does make scary reading Mafs and CPS and vanos seem to be the main failure items,but its hard to know how numerous they are

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3

If its gonna come down to economy and whats cheaper to maintain or insure maybe an 'm' car is not the right car. Higher costs come with the territory.

Well put - if you can afford to buy it, you can afford to fuel & insure it. And from what I have heard (absolutely zero personal experience with either - sorry!) they are both designed for deep pockets maintenance wise.

Thanks for the posts so far guys.

What about in terms of maintenance? I know that any M car isn't going to be cheap but what are the weak points of each of these cars.

After reading M3 Power's post about the CSL I'm glad I don't like SMG!

Also, the original BMW brochure says that the M3 is quicker in the 0-100kmh sprint (5.2s v M5 @5.3s). Are those figures accurate? I've seen some US sites saying that the 0-60mph time for the M3 is 4.8s, can anyone point me to a road test of the M5?

Not sure any normal human is going to notice the difference between 5.2 and 5.3 seconds to 100 km/h to be fair.... Especially when there is really no place in NZ where you could explore the full potential of either car safely. So if you ignore the absolute performance (both are supercars compared to their sister vehicles and well outside most vehicles on the road), it comes down to aesthetics, practicality (2 vs 4 doors if this makes any difference to you), the colour / condition of the examples you can locate (neither are new so are likely to have individual positives and negatives - how close the interior is to the wifes favourite handbag etc) and of course which vendor is prepared to cut the best deal for you. And you are really the only one that can make that call. ;)

I personally prefer the E46 - but then I have to say that (otherwise I would own an E39).... Good luck - I guess either one will be a kickass wagen!

apart from the considerable power the e39 will also have lots(and lots) of tourque....

Has anyone on here read the book "The Driver", or seen team polezei in the gumball run. He runs an E39 M5, and he certainly puts it through it's paces.

He has the unofficial record from New York to Los Angeles in it.

Edited by antony

Has anyone on here read the book "The Driver", or seen team polezei in the gumball run. He runs an E39 M5, and he certainly puts it through it's paces.

He has the unofficial record from New York to Los Angeles in it.

Is it silver with the Schnitzer wheels?