Sign in to follow this  
pommy

master cyl

Hi all just about to replace the clutch master cylinder as the other one was leaking! thought I would see before I install it anyone who has come across any probs thanks.

Problems fitting or just the cylinders themselves? Fitting is straight forward, just bench bleed first and you should be right, once fitted bleed all four brakes.

Hi all just about to replace the clutch master cylinder as the other one was leaking! thought I would see before I install it anyone who has come across any probs thanks.

Problems fitting or just the cylinders themselves? Fitting is straight forward, just bench bleed first and you should be right, once fitted bleed all four brakes.

<_<

Haven't installed just the cylinder before, but did the whole clutch pedal assembly the other day, I would try avoid taking this off, although it is just 3 bolts.

Also when removing the clutch line, use one of them special spanners with an extra side, or you'll strip the bolt; it's tight and in an awkward place.

Also watch when removing the reservoir piping not to break any plastic fittings.

Edited by antony

<_<

Haven't installed just the cylinder before, but did the whole clutch pedal assembly the other day, I would try avoid taking this off, although it is just 3 bolts.

Also when removing the clutch line, use one of them special spanners with an extra side, or you'll strip the bolt; it's tight and in an awkward place.

Also watch when removing the reservoir piping not to break any plastic fittings.

Clutch and brake use the same reservoir yes? If so the brakes will need bleeding!

no, not on an e30.

E: conveniently have one in front of me on the coffee table, aw this is a bad sign of E30itis.

post-805-1233036543_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the plastic bits that connect to that hose, they can break easily.

Edited by antony

Pretty straight forward, 2 bolts are a bit awkward to get at, but once out the rest is easy. Make sure you get a new plastic elbow for the reservoir hose where it goes in the top, it's sure to break off if you try to use the old one. Once in, fill the reservoir, and bleed thru the slave cylinder on your gearbox.

no, not on an e30.

E: conveniently have one in front of me on the coffee table, aw this is a bad sign of E30itis.

post-805-1233036543_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the plastic bits that connect to that hose, they can break easily.

Ok i stand corrected (you could see what i meant though). :P

I should proberly study up on E30s, doing a head job on Dougys on the weekend haha.

Hope he doesn't need new valve guides...going to take 10-14 days for mine to come into the country :angry:

Hope he doesn't need new valve guides...going to take 10-14 days for mine to come into the country :angry:

Ahh unsure actually, nothing wrong with the motor in genral, just doing all the gaskets etc, give it a bit of a tidy up............... and some loving. ;)

Doesn't smoke at all so the guides should be sweet.

thanks for your help!!!!! Il let you know!

Ok i stand corrected (you could see what i meant though). :P

I should proberly study up on E30s, doing a head job on Doug on the weekend haha.

Fixed

Haha...you beat me to it. I hope they get pictures :o

Ha what happens in the bay stays in the bay :ph34r:

Ya just jelous Tony.

ok all going well so far! I have managed to unscrew the two shitty screws that hld the unit in the middle, so now i take it I unscrew the nut inside the engine bay to the end of the unit? is it easier to take the hose of the resevoir in the engine bay or pull it through from the top of the unit?

when I pull the hose off I take it fluid will leak so If I just put a rag arund the resevoir this should be ok?

sorry for the big speel but needed to ask!!

Let it fall on the floor. You'll be replacing the fluid completely, remember. And yeah just get that hardline off the end of it in the engine bay.

Let it fall on the floor. You'll be replacing the fluid completely, remember. And yeah just get that hardline off the end of it in the engine bay.

cheers mate!