Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Bought a Honda Odyssey V6 4WD today

I finally managed to buy a reasonable V6 Honda Odyssey today - $10,000. 2001 model, 95,000km, full leather, 5 speed auto, 150kw V6, 4WD, 7 seater, nice alloys. This will complment my 740 and the SLK nicely. Flying up to Auckland tomorrow at 10am. Signing whatever papers I need to sign and driving back in time for dinner.

By the way the 1999-2003 Odyssey beats the Mitsubishi Outlander hands down (I hasd one as a company car and cashed it in on the 12 of January). My expereince of the outlander is that it is over-rated. Mine consumed 12 litres of fuel per 100kph average over 75,000km, Mitsubishi claimed 8.6 litres (in their dreams). In 2WD mode it was a un understeering nightmare through any corners. It is a car that absolutely needs vehicle stability control - it is twitchy, over responsding at speed the the slightest sterring input. The difference in the air of quality between the Honda and the Mitsubishi is like comparing an older Civic to a BMW. About the only thing it has that beats the Odyssey is side curtain and side airbags.

I will now be looking for a set of Odyssey roof rails, a tow bar, and a 2din DVD player with iPOD cable. It already has tints, including the front windscreen (why?) which I'll be removing. When the tyres need replacing I'll put some 18's on it. This will be our commutting, shopping cart, and ski mobile. We want to just do quality driving in the SLK and 740.

post-1569-1233556382_thumb.jpg

Least it shouldnt break, will run on a smell of a oily rag and you know what they say, variety is the spice of life. You got variety in bucket loads with a a BMW Bahn stormer, a cheeky mercedes cabrio and a Honda MPV. Love it :D

Ive edited mine too now

Probably not the wisest thing to say on a forum, personally I'd edit or delete it....your call though

Edited by *Glenn*

I had no problems with the guy.

Besides, you buy the car not the guys reputation.

Iv brought a car from Newport Imports and had no problems, infact the car was fantastic. BTW, those V6 Odssey's aren't that economical...

Iv brought a car from Newport Imports and had no problems, infact the car was fantastic. BTW, those V6 Odssey's aren't that economical...

Yeah a mate of mine has the newer shape and has said the same thing. I just presumed because it was a Honda it would be. Still one of the better Otara Taxi's though. Shame there is not many Renault Espaces here. Very quick they are.

I've never minded the Odyssey as it is kind of like a big station wagon and not a van such as the nasty piece of poo Emina (or is it enema?)

What model outlander did you have exactly? I drove a V6 recently and I was really impressed by it.

Are you going to put a kit and chromes and a monster tacho on it?

We drove the outlander as well when we were looking for a 7 seater, and the outlander was crap and slow. Actually we test drove nearly all the new 7 seaters available at the time in Dunedin, the highlander was the roomiest in the 3rd row, and didnt lack in power (201kw LOL) + didn't cost as much as some of the other ones.

I am pretty sure you will find that the Honda will be a Singaporean import. Reason I say that is because it has leather upholstery (sp) a very rare thing in Japan. 95% of Honda Odyssey's with leather in this country have come from Singapore. Pm me the rego and I will let you know one way or the other.

If it is Singaporean, check out the heater. If it doesn't heat up then you will have to do a search through the water hoses to find the blockage. This is a common thing to do in Singapore. Because of the heat they don't need heaters and usually get the hot water supply to the heater blocked off. Once you have found and removed the blockage, be very careful as quite often the heater radiator will burst because the old water lying around in it can rust the radiator out.

I'm not trying to scare you, but just passing on my experiances with Singapore imports, and I have dealt with quite a few.

Nissan Skyline wheels. Yes/no?

Nissan Skyline wheels. Yes/no?

Lol, is it sad I noticed the R34 wheels too?

I bought a car off same people, I know you havent listed who but yeah .. Matthew Wishart from Newport Imports. Dodgy fella, apparently they have a bad history with the LMVDA, was warned afterward to stick away from them as they had a pretty bad reputation.

I don't know where you get your info from but................

knowing Matt personally I would have to say he is one of the best out there, his cars are always in great condition, and he is great to deal with. You might be confused with another car dealer very nearby.

As Glenn said......... you might want to edit or delete your post just in case you get a call from a lawyer.

Edited by zenetti

Has quite a nice little collection of interesting cars there too.

I've never minded the Odyssey as it is kind of like a big station wagon and not a van such as the nasty piece of poo Emina (or is it enema?)

What model outlander did you have exactly? I drove a V6 recently and I was really impressed by it.

I had the 2.4 XLS 5 seater. My V6 Odyssey so far seems more economical. Mitsubishi CLAIM a fuel efficiency of about 12km/l, it actually averaged about 8.5km/l over 75,000km. Honda (on their online fact sheet) claim 9km/l for the V6 4WD Oddyssey. I filled up in Auckland, and 440km later it took 42 litres (110 to 120kph on the speedo) with plenty of stop go for road works and resealing. Filled up tonight after lots of commutting with stop go traffic and 55 litres for 500km.

Compared to the 740i? trust me - I'm not complaining.

I don't know where you get your info from but................

knowing Matt personally I would have to say he is one of the best out there, his cars are always in great condition, and he is great to deal with. You might be confused with another car dealer very nearby.

As Glenn said......... you might want to edit or delete your post just in case you get a call from a lawyer.

I found Matt excellent to deal with, and a pleasant change from some. The car is very realistically priced and I'm pleasantly surprised at the condition. There are deallers out there like Wholesale Cars Direct in Lower Hutt that would be asking over $15,000 for this car. Matt was asking $10,990 and let it go for $10,000. It's a lot of car for $10,000.

I am pretty sure you will find that the Honda will be a Singaporean import. Reason I say that is because it has leather upholstery (sp) a very rare thing in Japan. 95% of Honda Odyssey's with leather in this country have come from Singapore. Pm me the rego and I will let you know one way or the other.

If it is Singaporean, check out the heater. If it doesn't heat up then you will have to do a search through the water hoses to find the blockage. This is a common thing to do in Singapore. Because of the heat they don't need heaters and usually get the hot water supply to the heater blocked off. Once you have found and removed the blockage, be very careful as quite often the heater radiator will burst because the old water lying around in it can rust the radiator out.

I'm not trying to scare you, but just passing on my experiances with Singapore imports, and I have dealt with quite a few.

I checked and country of 1st registration is Japan. Aircon / heater is going fine front and rear. Thanks anyway.

I bought a car off same people, I know you havent listed who but yeah .. Matthew Wishart from Newport Imports. Dodgy fella, apparently they have a bad history with the LMVDA, was warned afterward to stick away from them as they had a pretty bad reputation.

No problem with Matt - much better than many. My 3rd car purchase via Trademe. I've sold 2 cars and 1 Motorcycles now too.

Chromes or monster tacho = instant ban imho :)

lol - no chromes or monsta tacho.

Am considering new wheels though - currently has a different tyre on each conrner - all with good tread but WTF!

If I stay with these wheels I'll go for Yokohama C.drive 215/60/16 - only $179 each. However given the size of the weehls on my 740 and Merc I don't think thats very likely!

I'd like to get the 1st set as they are only $450 buy now BUT they are in Auckland and pickup only! I should have planned my trip better and checked trademe before I left - doh!

The last pic is of the wheels I had my my old Odyssey - I still like them.

post-1569-1233823346_thumb.jpg

post-1569-1233823370_thumb.jpg

post-1569-1233823387_thumb.jpg

post-1569-1233823410_thumb.jpg

post-1569-1233823499_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimbo