Sign in to follow this  
BLACK DORIS

Immobilizer...

Hey all, hope this is correct forum for this.

Have a SA 87 325iA with an apparent factory immobilizer. Have already had a bs member check it out and say it's def aftermarket. Anyways, anyone ever seen this sort before?

Had tried to pm this to bravo but with no joy... Apologies pics are a bit blurred, will try again in better lighting and post again later..

I've tried removing device once car has started and everything seems normal, however I wasn't game enough to drive away like that. Only interior lights and electric windows work when device is not in...

Also tried a google search that was pretty fruitless, the stickers on windows of front doors say Killjoy vehicle security but no combination of entries I tried bought up a killjoy website. Car apparently was imported form uk, but that didn't seem to help identify this immobilizer either.

Anyone suggestions?

cheers

Rio

Definitely NOT factory.

Car manufacturers do not use 6.5mm cheap mono audio connectors in their vehicles!!

Haha, fair enough. Thing is, it only LOOKS like a cheap audio 1/4 jack plug.

Inside is the chip that then allows the rest of the car to function... pretty apt as I'm a musician. :P

As I mentioned the pics are a bit sh*t. Apologies.

But would still be frustrating if this and the spare went missing...

Edited by BLACK DORIS

If your concerned about it, you could always get a sparkie to remove it and install a better security system with a remote

Not factory.

If you are deft with electronics, trace the wires back and see where they go. Can't be too complicated - probably goes to a "brain" somewhere that checks the plug you insert is the one that matches the car, and then from the brain there will be wires that immobilise a circuit such as ignition, or fuel pump or similar. Something of that age probably only has a simple, single immobiliser, and seeing as the car works when you remove it it won't be the fuel pump, so is probably just on the start circuit.

Pull it all out, rejoin the circuit and you'll be back to factory.

If you're not comfortable with this, then follow Glenns advice.

If it is just on the start circuit there is no risk if you pull it out, or it falls out, whilst driving.

Edited by bravo

Cheers Glenn, Bravo-

Sparky is def on the list of things to have looked at - so will ask about it then. :P