Sign in to follow this  
3 SERIES

Digital SLR Advice

Hi All,

Im keen on photography and have decided to get a digital SLR.

Just wondering if there is any budding photographers who can give me a bit of advice on what to look out for?

Im wanting to buy a camera thats a little better than you standard entry level digital slr. I dont want to buy one that im going to be disapointed with in a year or two and want to upgrade.

Something like a Nikon D80 would be ideal but im keen on something with live view so maybe the D90 is more me??

Sonys A350 seems to have to goods but in all honesty im not a fan of sony gear. I just feel like they want to rule the world in every aspect of electronics :)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Brett

Sony stuff is built to look good and copy paste default settings and is really just toy stuff for shop front noobs. (no offense)

I would look at Nikon / Canon / Olympus.

Canon really have some great SLR bodies. You can pick up an older body for cheap these days which is still capible of 10mpx

Live view is good, however I feel once you get us to your camera / settings. You wont need it.

One thing that is very important is the number of focusing IR points. Three doesnt cut it these days.

Have a look at a good set of filters too. I run the coken system on my lenes. I got a great setup for about $270.

Cheers for your input.

No offence taken with the Sony comment. Im not a big fan so couldnt care less :)

Yeah, still deciding if I actually need live view. These is quite a bit of price diference between having it and not. I suppose some purists wouldnt be fans of it.

You seem quite keen on Canon. What dslr body would you recommend?

Cheers

Edit: Cabbage spelling

Edited by 3 SERIES

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Hi All,

Im keen on photography and have decided to get a digital SLR.

Just wondering if there is any budding photographers who can give me a bit of advice on what to look out for?

Im wanting to buy a camera thats a little better than you standard entry level digital slr. I dont want to buy one that im going to be disapointed with in a year or two and want to upgrade.

Something like a Nikon D80 would be ideal but im keen on something with live view so maybe the D90 is more me??

Sonys A350 seems to have to goods but in all honesty im not a fan of sony gear. I just feel like they want to rule the world in every aspect of electronics :)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Brett

I'm a rabid Nikon fan - have a D70S and very pleased with it. check out this site... (Ken Rockwell), tons of information for enthusiasts here. Note particularly his well-founded advice on megapixels! Take your time with research but remember good photos are mostly the product of the photographer - not the equipment.

Cheers

Ken.

I'm a rabid Nikon fan - have a D70S and very pleased with it. check out this site... (Ken Rockwell), tons of information for enthusiasts here. Note particularly his well-founded advice on megapixels! Take your time with research but remember good photos are mostly the product of the photographer - not the equipment.

Cheers

Ken.

Thanks Ken.

Thats a very very good site. Lots of unbias info for someone like myself.

Interesting what he says about megapixels and also his thoughts on a camera such as the Nikon D40. I would have never considered something as low down the pecking order as that.

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Thanks Ken.

Thats a very very good site. Lots of unbias info for someone like myself.

Interesting what he says about megapixels and also his thoughts on a camera such as the Nikon D40. I would have never considered something as low down the pecking order as that.

Indeed - it's like any other technolgy war, all manufacturers have one goal in common - your money!

Cheers for your input.

No offence taken with the Sony comment. Im not a big fan so couldnt care less :)

Yeah, still deciding if I actually need live view. These is quite a bit of price diference between having it and not. I suppose some purists wouldnt be fans of it.

You seem quite keen on Canon. What dslr body would you recommend?

Cheers

Edit: Cabbage spelling

450d still a great camera for your money ... I may even have a firend who is selling his old one. Ill ask if he still is. (he upgraded to a 5d mk1) (then the mk II came out :( )

http://www.canon.co.nz/products/cameras/di...lr/eos450d.aspx

EOS pro lenes are where its at. for about 1800 odd you can get a really nice pro multi purpose lens that does great wide angle and great zoom with not bad macro. Saves you buying a general and a wide angle separate.

You would want a 50mm f1.8 and maybe a telephoto as well when you can justify spending the $$$ on them

I managed to grab my whole olympus e300 setup for 6k about 4 years ago (pro lenses included)... was pretty stoked.

but yeah, lenses and filter kits (Cokin system http://www.cokin.com ) are what gives me my freedom to do my photography

Another thing youll look into is a decent hotshoe flash and then maybe down the line remote pocket wizard flash senders and extra hot shoe flashes. for the true pro look. I borrow my friends from time to time.

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Yeah, ask your friend if he still has it and is willing to sell.

I might be interested...

Indeed - it's like any other technolgy war, all manufacturers have one goal in common - your money!

Agreed!

Wow I havent posted in a long time, I own 2 pentax dslr's and I have used canon and wouldnt look back, i used a 10d and 30d and 40d, even the older models create amazing photos, its down to the person behind it somewhat but the canon produces amazing colour too.. im going to get one when i have more cash.. in the meantime i love my k100d!

Well after doing a bit of research over the weekend ive come down to the following cameras

Canon 40d, Canon 450d or the Nikon D80. All these options will be with a standard 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens

Your thoughts? Is there any others I should consider? Should I just buy the body and look for a better lens or is the standard kit one ok to get me going?

Should I maybe look for something cheaper to start off with?

Thanks for you help, much appreciated.

I can recommend the 450D. After doing a whole lot of research online and then using a friends one, I decided on the 450. It is great to use and has the Digic3 processor, which is the same as the higher level cameras.

Canon and Nikon are really the only ones to go for... Kit lenses leave a little to be desired. But you can take shots like this and like the the month of December in the bimmersport calender, neither which have had the colours messed with by photoshop.

ISO400 30" f4.0 Pitch black when I took this. Halfway between Gisborne and Opotiki, in a DOC camping ground.

Posted Image

Edited by Incary

Thanks Incary for you thoughts on the 450D. This is the kind of info im after.

That photo you posted is massive! If I could do $hit half as good as that I would be wrapped. Was that done with a standard kit lens?

Is is worth spending a few extra dollars for the 40D? From what ive read it has a bigger iso range, more fps, better build quality etc. Its 10mp comared to the 450D's 12mp.

Oh the headache

I reduced that photo to 2000pixels wide. Standard is 4272 pixels wide! About 3 and a half laptop screens ahaha.

just a standard jens eh, and no photo training, just practise, oh the joys of digital.

The 40D is a big camera, unless you are going to be doing photo shoots of models and trying to make money with your camera I'd stick to the upper consumer level stuff, the 450D is the best mid-range camera in my opinion, why I bought it, and why I bought a BMW ;)

The fps on the 450D is 3.5, and it's decent, takes great sequences of drifting and the like heh. Has some very very smart features, tracking auto focus, 4 exposure methods and a great 3inch LCD.

I bought mine in duty free, great price. I have the twin lens kit, 75-300mm is a sh*t lens but hell it has some zoom.

Another example: It's full size, I recommend saving it and zooming in ;)

post-1573-1234122886_thumb.jpg

I can recommend the 450D. After doing a whole lot of research online and then using a friends one, I decided on the 450. It is great to use and has the Digic3 processor, which is the same as the higher level cameras.

Canon and Nikon are really the only ones to go for... Kit lenses leave a little to be desired. But you can take shots like this and like the the month of December in the bimmersport calender, neither which have had the colours messed with by photoshop.

ISO400 30" f4.0 Pitch black when I took this. Halfway between Gisborne and Opotiki, in a DOC camping ground.

Posted Image

I'll back up the 450D as an awesome camera. Great selection of parts, lenses and a good community of users. Can't really go wrong.

I actually bought the Sony A350 myself - and it is a GREAT piece of kit. It is the left over result of the R&D Konica Minolta were doing before Sony bought them out. A lot of my friends have the 400D or 450D (actually, I have a mate who just bought the Canon 5d Mk ][). The A350 has a MUCH better live view (in fact, the Canon one is quite rubbish compared) - but the Canon has much better noise reduction at high ISOs (like 1600+).

The Sony Alphas use the Minolta lense mounts - so you have a huge number of lenses out there to choose from also.

You can't go wrong with either as far as I can tell. My friends and I compare shots all the time and in the end it is the photographer. I don't think you can buy a bad camera out of the Nikons, Canons, Sony Alphas etc. They all work really really well.

Have fun!!

i just got the Nikon D60 at christmas, great camera for me as im just starting out, it takes alot of patience and time, but i know when i learn the full capibilities of the camera it will be worth it!

I reduced that photo to 2000pixels wide. Standard is 4272 pixels wide! About 3 and a half laptop screens ahaha.

just a standard jens eh, and no photo training, just practise, oh the joys of digital.

The 40D is a big camera, unless you are going to be doing photo shoots of models and trying to make money with your camera I'd stick to the upper consumer level stuff, the 450D is the best mid-range camera in my opinion, why I bought it, and why I bought a BMW ;)

The fps on the 450D is 3.5, and it's decent, takes great sequences of drifting and the like heh. Has some very very smart features, tracking auto focus, 4 exposure methods and a great 3inch LCD.

I bought mine in duty free, great price. I have the twin lens kit, 75-300mm is a sh*t lens but hell it has some zoom.

Another example: It's full size, I recommend saving it and zooming in ;)

Thanks for you thoughts and recommendations. The 450D does seems to be a hit with everyone on here. The thing is that I can get the 40D for only $200 more than the 450D. Is it worth it is the question?

I'll back up the 450D as an awesome camera. Great selection of parts, lenses and a good community of users. Can't really go wrong.

I actually bought the Sony A350 myself - and it is a GREAT piece of kit. It is the left over result of the R&D Konica Minolta were doing before Sony bought them out. A lot of my friends have the 400D or 450D (actually, I have a mate who just bought the Canon 5d Mk ][). The A350 has a MUCH better live view (in fact, the Canon one is quite rubbish compared) - but the Canon has much better noise reduction at high ISOs (like 1600+).

The Sony Alphas use the Minolta lense mounts - so you have a huge number of lenses out there to choose from also.

You can't go wrong with either as far as I can tell. My friends and I compare shots all the time and in the end it is the photographer. I don't think you can buy a bad camera out of the Nikons, Canons, Sony Alphas etc. They all work really really well.

Have fun!!

Thanks for your comments. The guy at the camera shop recommended the Sony A350. he said it was the best bang for buck DSLR.

I totally agree with you comment about it being photographer that takes the great pics.

i just got the Nikon D60 at christmas, great camera for me as im just starting out, it takes alot of patience and time, but i know when i learn the full capibilities of the camera it will be worth it!

Im interested to hear about the D60. Its at a very good price at the moment. I have also been considering this.

I just dont want to buy it then a year down the track think "I wish I had of got the 450D or 40D"

I want to future proof myself as much as possible really.

Edited by 3 SERIES

I'm using the 40D and it took me 2.5 months to finally decide on it. It was mainly between the choices of 450D and 40D at the time.

You need to ask your self whether you want the bigger screen, live view and faster FPS going from 450 to 40D.

For me the FPS was important to me so i went that one.

If it's only $200 difference and you dont mind paying it then i would recommend getting the 40D. At the time of me buy it was around $1k difference lol.

I wouldnt really recommend the Sony DSLR yet as i've seen/heard a lot a review/comments about them, and they are pretty new to the DSLR market.

Also i think you need to put just as much thought onto what lenses to purchase as well.

I've got 4 lense in my kit at the moment, just saving up for the 400+ pro zoom lense.

1x basic 17-85mm IS

1x basic 70-300mm IS

1x Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Telephoto Lens

1x Canon EF 100mm Macro f/2.8 USM LENS

2x 32GB 300x CF card

1x Canon 430EX SPEEDLITE

Posted Image

I really like this shot !!

I'm using the 40D and it took me 2.5 months to finally decide on it. It was mainly between the choices of 450D and 40D at the time.

You need to ask your self whether you want the bigger screen, live view and faster FPS going from 450 to 40D.

For me the FPS was important to me so i went that one.

If it's only $200 difference and you dont mind paying it then i would recommend getting the 40D. At the time of me buy it was around $1k difference lol.

I wouldnt really recommend the Sony DSLR yet as i've seen/heard a lot a review/comments about them, and they are pretty new to the DSLR market.

I think all the additionl features like more fps, bigger screen, live view etc are not a must at the early stages but I think in the future once I become more aware of these things ill wish I had them. Make sence?

450D body is $1299 40D body is $1499

I agree with the Sony comment

Also i think you need to put just as much thought onto what lenses to purchase as well.

I've got 4 lense in my kit at the moment, just saving up for the 400+ pro zoom lense.

1x basic 17-85mm IS

1x basic 70-300mm IS

1x Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Telephoto Lens

1x Canon EF 100mm Macro f/2.8 USM LENS

2x 32GB 300x CF card

1x Canon 430EX SPEEDLITE

I agree with you comment about the lenses. I think a basic kit lens will be enough to get me started. If and when im ready to invest more coin I think id look at getting a wide angle lens, something as low as a 16mm.

Cheers

Sonys approach is feel good, preset heaven. Which is fine to a point. When you start to get serious you need to look at the qaulity of the CMOS/CCD.

I hate to put another choice in the mix .. but Im looking at one of these (best of dSLR and Film camera worlds)

http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/

Setups going to be about 10k all up but shooting native 5k res is going to rule.

haha yeah is out of mine at the moment, but for me will kill two birds with one stone so will be worth it in the long run for me.

Damn 10K just for startup!

just had a quick tally, so far i've only spent $6K (wholesale price)