Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Sold your E36? Been looking at buying one?

I have a 96 328i coupe which I'm thinking of selling. I can't be bothered listing it if I am going to have to deal with test pilots all day trying to low ball me, or if I have to give it away for a song.

I want to know the real prices people have been getting for similar cars, or those who are in the market, what sort of cash can realistically buy a nice one. There are plenty on trademe, but prices seem to be all over the show.

Mine is a 96 in cosmos with black cloth sport seats, it has the full MTech kit and genuine M3 Evo wheels, apart from that it is standard. The car is very tidy and has no issues, it has $4k in receipts over the last 12 months. It has travelled 130km. The "bad" points are that it is an auto and a jap import. The car would suit an enthusiast and needs nothing spent on it. (Note to self - take some good pics and load them up in the Showroom thread!).

Youre right, prices are all over the place at the moment.

I dont like giving guesstimates as sometimes it can offend people but I think youre someone who wont

take it to heart if you dont like my opinion :)

Obviously you have to price the car according to whats on the market because people will compare yours to others out there.

Put it this way, it is definatly NOT a <6k car but not >9k IMO. Made this based on whats "out there" at present.

Mact on here has a 95 NZ New E36 motorsprt coupe in black done 108k with tan leather & FSH for sale on trade me at the moment for $9k ono.

BTW, I would love to see some pics of it. It sounds very nice!

Edited by 3 SERIES

FWIW I sold my Jap import, auto, leather, 4 door 325i in November for $8250.

Paid $10k for it in 2007 and probably spent close to $4k on it in maintenance and mods.

Wow, that looks awful when I type it out like that, but I sold at the height of petrol prices and I wanted a quick sale. I'm looking at a manual 325i coupe with similar spec and K's ATM, hoping to pay $7500 for it so it's all relative I guess.

P.S: If you want to sell (Like really want to sell, not just pay $40 to have it sit on TM for 6 months before you withdraw the auction) list your car at what you ideally want for it, and reduce the price by $500 every week until you start getting bites.

Edited by _Mark_

FWIW I sold my Jap import, auto, leather, 4 door 325i in November for $8250.

Paid $10k for it in 2007 and probably spent close to $4k on it in maintenance and mods.

Wow, that looks awful when I type it out like that, but I sold at the height of petrol prices and I wanted a quick sale. I'm looking at a manual 325i coupe with similar spec and K's ATM, hoping to pay $7500 for it so it's all relative I guess.

P.S: If you want to sell (Like really want to sell, not just pay $40 to have it sit on TM for 6 months before you withdraw the auction) list your car at what you ideally want for it, and reduce the price by $500 every week until you start getting bites.

But then bastards like me would wait and see how low you go :ph34r:

Thanks for your responses.

I was thinking around $8k, but can't be bothered going through the hassle of listing it, it sitting for months and having to deal with the continuous stream of test pilots that seem to look at BMWs (from previous experiences of selling them).

I live in the CBD and work in the CBD. The car only gets used in the weekend and unless I'm going away it never goes further than Ponsonby or Parnell.

Thinking of selling and just getting a rental car when I need to travel out of town. BUT the car is very nice and if I sold it and then decided I wanted another car it would be hard to replace (in any event I would replace it with the same thing, or an E46 328ci). It has a no excess warranty until the end of 2010, so apart from servicing it doesn't really cost me anything. But then again, insurance and reg add up!

A bit of a dilemma...

Edited by Crockett

What happened to the $1 reserve??

As above, I don't need to sell it - hence, I don't want to give it away.

But then bastards like me would wait and see how low you go :ph34r:

Only to have someone else snap it up because your too busy thinking your the only one interested in the car.

Personally I think its a great idea.

Only to have someone else snap it up because your too busy thinking your the only one interested in the car.

My thoughts exactly!

Sold my 1998 320i auto, Avus Blue with Msport Kit. Always serviced. Jap import. Average condition, for $4500

Edit: Had done 160,000ks

Edited by braeden.

i sold my 95 328 motor sport with 130k last week for 10k, it was in good condition always serviced etc. It did have 18"s on it though and this is why i think it sold quikly. Personly i think i got a good price for it.

As I tell most, one of the best ways to sell a car is to slap some professional "FOR SALE" stickers on the rear and side windows then drive / park it in popular areas.

Secondly, a well presented Trademe auction will do you wonders... So I would definitely consider it as the lions share of the market is on there.

Write it like you won't take BS from anyone, be honest and up front and as descriptive as possible with MANY good photos and you won't get BS test pilots.

Check out my listing, I have had nothing but serious offers and looking at a sale as we speek (pretty much gone) for not much less than the price I am asking ^_^

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=200528809

Edited by crazyarab

I've got a fresh jap import 96 323 //M coupe in cosmos done 96,000km Auto on the yard at the moment. It's exactly the same as my coupe butwithout the bling.

I'm asking $10,995 on the road, but I think I will be lucky to achieve this figure.

In saying this, I cannot import this car any more and also when the car was brought in Japan we were getting 82 yen to the dollar. Today it is only 46 yen. If I had purchased the car today it would have cost almost twice as much.

Edited by C0SM0S

I've got a fresh jap import 96 323 //M coupe in cosmos done 96,000km Auto on the yard at the moment. It's exactly the same as my coupe butwithout the bling.

I'm asking $10,995 on the road, but I think I will be lucky to achieve this figure.

Is there much of a price difference between a 323i and a 328i?

As I tell most, one of the best ways to sell a car is to slap some professional "FOR SALE" stickers on the rear and side windows then drive / park it in popular areas.

I thought the sole reason of these stickers was to get chicks to text you!

Cheers for the advice. Your car looks mint on TM

Is there much of a price difference between a 323i and a 328i?

I brought a 97 328 4 door in hellrot red done 147kms, a stock standard jap import with one NZ owner yesterday for $5,000.

It's a buyers market these days.

Secondly, a well presented Trademe auction will do you wonders... So I would definitely consider it as the lions share of the market is on there.

Write it like you won't take BS from anyone, be honest and up front and as descriptive as possible with MANY good photos and you won't get BS test pilots.

Check out my listing, I have had nothing but serious offers and looking at a sale as we speek (pretty much gone) for not much less than the price I am asking ^_^

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=200528809

Can't believe you're selling it. By far the nicest e36 I have ever seen. Best of luck.

Sorry thats off topic.

Can't believe you're selling it. By far the nicest e36 I have ever seen. Best of luck.

Sorry thats off topic.

I know man, I am almost 100% sure I am going to regret it but I have already accepted the offer so unless the sale falls through she is gone.

No matter, E30 / E46 to replace it in the near future.. hell maybe even an M5 ;D!

P.s. Crockett,

You don't get chicks calling you up if it's professional, has FOR SALE and is not driven on the "4 Aves" at 2am in the morning.

Seriously, it's one of the best ways to sell a car I found as people see the car in the flesh and can make a far better decision than seeing some photos.

Just make sure you park it in high traffic areas, perhaps on a busy street.