Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Arrrgghh.....

I spend much of the day following an auction for some Advanti Photon allows with 215/40/18 Yokohama Advan tyres (near new) which had a $600 no reserve, and an $800 buy now.

As it was only 2 hours to go with no bids I thought I'd do an Autobid up to the buy now price (or $1 more). So I enter my $801 autobid and expect to see that I'm leading with a bid of $600. Not so. I'm leading with a bid at $801 and the reserve hasn't been reached yet; a WTF mnoment indeed.

I though something was wrong with trademe, reported a fault, and asked for my bid to be removed so i could do it again.

Apparently the seller (I think it's a chick) works for Baurepaires and a mate who offered her $850 so she put the reserve up to that price (and it had to be at the same time I was bidding). Learning this I sent a question stating that they appeared to be jacking the price to avoid a sale via trademe, when they should either withdraw it, or the mate should bid on trademe. Seller got pretty shitty with me on the responses, and claimed they were not trying to avoid fees as the mate would be bidding through trademe. These questions and responses got removed.

So guess what auction just closed with no bids, what happend to the mate?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=201778577

Edited by jimbo

I sympathise, but what do expect from someone called Sharlene????

I sympathise, but what do expect from someone called Sharlene????

Good point.

I asked her to blacklist me so i never make the mistake of bidding on one of her dubious auctions again.

That sux.

My question is: if you were willing to do an auto bid to $1 higher than the buy now price, why didnt you just hit the buy now?

That sux.

My question is: if you were willing to do an auto bid to $1 higher than the buy now price, why didnt you just hit the buy now?

Because there is still the possibility of him getting it for less than that.

Because there is still the possibility of him getting it for less than that.

Exactly - I was going to hit buy now but my wife suggested to put an autobid on for $800, that way if no one else bids you get them for $600. As it stood no one else bid so i would have got them for $600.

But buy now probably wouldn't have worked anyway - damned trademe was showing info that wasn't current - even though I'd just logged on - so as i was bidding seller was changing the price.

Edited by jimbo

Don't see how the seller got shitty at you.. I think I would though with all those unnecessary questions.

Bit of advice for next time though. Before bidding hit F5, it will refresh the page and be completely up to date before you place your bid on.

Don't see how the seller got shitty at you.. I think I would though with all those unnecessary questions.

Bit of advice for next time though. Before bidding hit F5, it will refresh the page and be completely up to date before you place your bid on.

Sellers shirty responses got deleted by trademe.

Unessesary questions? oh you mean like "what model tyre is it?", "how bad is the curbing damage", "what happended to the $600 no reserve?". You must be having me on.

If the seller had a brain they would add this info to their description. Especially if the seller claims to work for Beaurepaires - a tyre company! You could expect from a tyre industry person to provide things like wheel offset, what tyre it is. In this case the only 215/40/18 Yokohama list in NZ is an S.drive - the tyre was not an S.drive based on tread pattern - so what was it? It's like saying a tyre is a "Dunlop", and if you can't find the tyre on the NZ site then it may be some strange JDM tyre, the reason it's important - tyres have load ratings - and some are much lower than others and therefore not suitable. In this case I had decided I was just going to sell the tyres and buy new ones from Johno so the fact that the seller couldn't answer didn't mater.

Having just logged on and clicked on my auction in the watch list there didn't seem any need to click refresh - it's not like anyone else was biding.

Anyway have have bought 18" Alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres 225/45/18 which are ideal for the Odyssey (within 1%). Offset matches perfectly.

Edited by jimbo

:D Got my new wheels tonight and fitted them - they look great are ride even better. Will get a balance and wheel alignment soonish.

Looking forward to pics.

Well it is a Honda which isn't what the sites about but at least it's wheels are more in line with the 20" wheels on the 740 and the 19" on the SLK. With 7 seats and 4WD it's a perfect complement to the 740 and SLK. Rear wheel on this side has a little curbing but other 3 are 100% mint with 8mm tread too!

Had the wheels balanced and got lock nuts today. Will try Nitrogen in the tyres on the weekend, and probaly do it for the 740 as well.

post-1569-1234855225_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimbo

Looks better man, just needs a small drop all round and it will be a million times better :D

Hey they look pretty nice (for on a Hoonda ;)) ! Good job!

Looks better man, just needs a small drop all round and it will be a million times better :D

Thnaks

I agree about the drop but as it's going to do roads like Skipper Canyon, 90 mile beach, and Mt Dobson ski field access road it will probably keep it's higher riding stance (for now anyway). Am talking with a guy from Strong Honda about if the 172kw V6 out of a 2003 Accord V6 would fit, but that sort of thing is a year of two off. Getting some better sounds is a high priorty as are a set of roof rails in time for ski season.

Well it is a Honda which isn't what the sites about but at least it's wheels are more in line with the 20" wheels on the 740 and the 19" on the SLK. With 7 seats and 4WD it's a perfect complement to the 740 and SLK. Rear wheel on this side has a little curbing but other 3 are 100% mint with 8mm tread too!

Had the wheels balanced and got lock nuts today. Will try Nitrogen in the tyres on the weekend, and probaly do it for the 740 as well.

Looks good, are they Mazda RX8 wheels?

Looks good, are they Mazda RX8 wheels?

There are off a Mazda RX8 - offset is +50 - perfect for the odyssey and a nice clean style. Just need new Honda centre caps.

Guy I bought them off has decided to go for 20's. It's an import with 1600km since new, currenlt white. Had minor frontal damage and he's going all out. Carbon fibre hood and boot, totally stripped down ready for repainting purple. Getting vielside front and rear bumpers, side skirts. Already has adjsutable aftermarket suspension. Was high spec high output engine. 6 speed manual. Nice project.