Sign in to follow this  
Yamahoo

It's the weirdest thing...

Next time you go through the new tunnels north of Orewa, take a look up at the ceiling. There's speakers all the way along the roof.

So if you were to go through there, say, on a Sunday morning when the road was pretty much empty, in, perhaps something like, maybe an e30 convertible, and if you were to start in slow then kind of ring it out in second and third just enjoying the beautiful wave of BMW noise bouncing off the tunnel sides you might find that as you neared the end of the tunnel, barely audible over the resonance of the 2.7 you might be just able to make out the shrill shriek of some woman sitting somewhere in a control centre yelling at you through those overhead speakers "SLOW DOWN!"

Weird huh?

And how do you get a job like that anyhow? "Welcome to Civil Service. Your job is to yell at convertibles going through the tunnel."

Hahaha

I heard that woman too, approx 12.30pm on sunday i was driving towards auckland through the tunnel and gave it heaps to hear the V8 burble, had my window down and heard some woman over the speakers saying something, I couldn't quite catch it but i said to the missus, "what the f**k is the point in that, no-one is ever going to be able to hear it"

500 metres after i'd exited the tunnel I saw you fly past in the other direction Ross, I must have woken her up for you!

on another note i used the 0800 number to pay, it was painlessly easy, cost no extra and took less than a minute, all those people queuing at the BP station and toll booths are idiots!

the next question is though .... will i receive a letter about my german plates?

Are you serious? Does she actually say slow down??? WTF?

Interesting to hear how you get on with your plates Ollie. I was planning on covering mine and rocking standard plates next time I go through there, or going the old way.

And then you're like f**k you and kick her in the face with your ENERGY LEGS

Last time I had the opportunity to drive through the tunnel was when I picked up the 328, thought flag that! I'm not going to shorten my drive home B) Orewa is so quiet these days...

Guest Spottswoode

We haven't had a problem with euro plates, and we've been through at least 10 times since it opened. The cameras read them fine and they don't appear to "nark" on you

Lol what the f**k.

How fast exactly do you have to be going to get a yell?

Never happened to me... maybe my cars too loud to hear her.

Lol what the f**k.

How fast exactly do you have to be going to get a yell?

Never happened to me... maybe my cars too loud to hear her.

Didn’t hear her! When I blasted through in 2nd and 3rd gear, must have been her day off!

I looked, but couldn't see them. Either you lot are pulling our legs or I need an eye test. Funnily enough I'm booked in for one on thursday.

Maybe we need to chop our roofs off :D

Definitely heard the shrieking she-devil. I was going south, at about 9:30 Sunday morning. It made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, like being left alone in a room with the mother in law.

By the way, I read in the local rag tonight that the cops stopped some guy on Saturday night who had somehow gone north through the south tunnel....... Still feel safe on the road?

Im going to take a drive just to see this. (Even thought I live a good hours drive away from the tunnell)

North through the south tunnel... must have been one hell of a night ;)

Edited by QuickSilver