Sign in to follow this  
Mash

New Car e46

White e46

Slightly lowed by ezygee and yes it is certified!!!

Have to say does look lower in person

Costing 1500 all up

With four new shocks etc.

Next on list is 19s.

Do have clear lights on the way

Haters are welcome for a laugh

But is as legal as your own car.

Cheers Matt

post-2991-1235708849_thumb.jpg

post-2991-1235709010_thumb.jpg

post-2991-1235709044_thumb.jpg

post-2991-1235709067_thumb.jpg

Guest Simon*

No hater here mate, if that's what you like to do to your cars then that's your business.

It does make me smile and wonder, even though it's legal, doesn't it feel awful to drive and bump, hit and scrape everything? I mean NZ roads are hardly smooth :) I'd have to agree that 19's are going to improve it's looks. The standard wheels look tiny and lost and disappearing into those arches.

Oh and more importantly what is it? 318 Auto?

Looking forward to seeing it all finished

Cheers

Hey thanks simon, yeah i love it.

Ahh well i only picked it up from ezygee late this arvo, so have not really had a proper drive in it.

Also only brought they car on monday and dropped it off monday arvo.

But driving from far west to east it was fine, very comfortable ride.

Feels good having it all legal.

Yeah 318i auto, which is fine for me.

They are the 19s im going to go with.

Cars sits at 50mm

post-2991-1235710873_thumb.jpg

Guest Simon*

Sweet. Always cool to have a new car whatever it is

I like those wheels, they look a bit like the 5x120 Alpina reps that Zenetti and Mag & Tyre direct are selling

For $1500 they best be coilovers.

Will look good with the 19" wheels..

For $1500 they best be coilovers.

Will look good with the 19" wheels..

Nah if they where coilovers would have been 2500 with cert (and to be able to go this low)

Went threw every option.

But they are koni adjustable shocks.

I'm not gonna hate on it either, but 50mm is definitely not for me. It'd scrape too much. I'd hate looking at a driveway or speed bump with fear...

If you had it certed with those wheels, and change to 19s, I believe the cert isn't accurate anymore (its a stupid rule).

Edited by CamB

I'm not gonna hate on it either, but 50mm is definitely not for me. It'd scrape too much. I'd hate looking at a driveway or speed bump with fear...

If you had it certed with those wheels, and change to 19s, I believe the cert isn't accurate anymore (its a stupid rule).

Hey got the cert for 19s and 16s was a step ahead.

Yeah just got to be careful

how she handle that low?

Mint as, as its all captive and what not feels standard but way better handling.

Sorry not trying to be a hater, really not.

But having the car that low (cert or not) is infact illegal. 100mm from the lowest point of the vehicle is the lowest point.

Just another thing on the handling thing, Anything above 100kph is just dam dangerous with this little suspension travel. You hit the bump stops at speed around the corner at this speed and only one thing happens, massive weight distrobution away from the tires cause no grip.

In an e46 the other thing this causes is the subframe to tear away from the unibody. It will happen in 6mths - 1 yr running this low. Once that happens the only one to fix it is replacing the unibody section as repairs dont work. the cost of the work runs into the 1000's

Just something on the 19's. on compression the tops of the tires will hit the plastic inner gaurd liner and eventually wear through to the bear metal.

sorry if its sounds like a go at ya but just giving fair warning of what will / does happen when you run the e46 shape at these heights.

The rule is: if the lowest structural member of the car is less than 100mm from the ground, the car requires certification. If he has a cert it is legal.

The rest of what you say is true tho.

Yeah you can cert your way around the 100mm rule. Theoretically* the cert will also require adequate suspension travel and stiffness, and take into account avoiding hitting the bumpstops in use (as well as ensuring handling is good).

* I can't see how an E46 this low can meet this, unless you spend heaps on the suspension to correct camber etc as well.

The rule is: if the lowest structural member of the car is less than 100mm from the ground, the car requires certification. If he has a cert it is legal.

The rest of what you say is true tho.

This wasn't what I was told when I went for mine. infact he jacked it up to check before certing it. He also measured things like the fact my steering could go lock to lock without any rubbing.

Well i got a cert, so I'm happy with that.

Car does not rub with 19s.

Yeah don't keep cars for long so im really happy with it.

But thanks for letting me know

Car does not rub with 19s.

Under full compression I think you find the tops of your front tires will hit the plastic inner guard and wear through. I know because it happened to me and Im no where near as low as you.

nice looking car bro doesnt take you long lol

Haha yeah i know, so whats the go with the 740

So Matty...

How long till it goes on Trademe?? :P

Ahh month or so when ever I'm board

Under full compression I think you find the tops of your front tires will hit the plastic inner guard and wear through. I know because it happened to me and Im no where near as low as you.

Nope no rubbing at all on anything.