Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

Waterhammer and how to stop it.

Does anyone have suggestions (preferrably easy to install by a plumber) to stop banging pipes at home? Flow restricter, flux capacitor or other solution??

Basically when the dishwasher, washing machine or some taps shut off the water flow too fast, there is a bang from the pipework. It's all copper piping but I really don't want it to burst a pipe as it is all overhead piping and will flood the house....

Suggestions required.

Because of this 'waterhammer' I always think someone is running up behind me when I get a drink late at night ha.

No suggestions sorry.

one cause is the pipes or fittings themselves are not securely fixed

Try replacing the regulator. We did that last week and it solved the banging problem.

One thing you could try is, if you access to the pipes, at each point the pipe goes through the timber, fill the gap between the pipe and the timber with silicon.

All new homes are done this way. Holds the pipes steady and stops it hitting the sides of the hole.

Otherwise, ask a plumber ha.

A bit of a bodgy one, but I have had this problem before and the way I got round it was to turn down the stop cock a bit to restrict the water flow! It's normally a high water pressure issue, combined with lots of tees in the plumbing system causing blind ends. Restricting the flow a bit helps restrict the pressure and stop the pressure waves caused when the tap or valve is closed.

Not very technical, and not really solving the root cause of the problem, but cheap and easy to do :D

Does anyone have suggestions (preferrably easy to install by a plumber) to stop banging pipes at home? Flow restricter, flux capacitor or other solution??

Basically when the dishwasher, washing machine or some taps shut off the water flow too fast, there is a bang from the pipework. It's all copper piping but I really don't want it to burst a pipe as it is all overhead piping and will flood the house....

Suggestions required.

It could be the pressure regulator..get a plumber to do it or do it yourself..they arent expensive or fit an accumulator which is what I had to do..were on tanks with quite a high pressure pump with special plumbing

A bit of a bodgy one, but I have had this problem before and the way I got round it was to turn down the stop cock a bit to restrict the water flow! It's normally a high water pressure issue, combined with lots of tees in the plumbing system causing blind ends. Restricting the flow a bit helps restrict the pressure and stop the pressure waves caused when the tap or valve is closed.

Not very technical, and not really solving the root cause of the problem, but cheap and easy to do :D

Yeah - I think it's the pressure being so high around here and the fast shut off. I did think about turning the mains tap at the letterbox back a bit.

Might have to get a plumber in for a permanent fix - but I have no desire to tear into any walls.... Thanks for the suggestions fellas.